Zero Punctuation: The Inpatient and Doom VFR

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Vigormortis said:
Canadamus Prime said:
I still don't think I could get past the motion sickness part of VR, but I have yet to try it so I don't know.
Motion sickness in VR tends to only apply to VR experiences with unsynced motion between the users physical perspective and their visual perspective.

I have several friends who experienced terrible motion sickness when trying Rift DK1s and other VR sets at stores and kiosks. However, once they tried a full room-scale experience like my Vive, they experienced absolutely no motion sickness at all. In fact, one of them recently tried DOOM VFR for well over an hour straight and he didn't get so much as a little queasy even once.

I can't promise you'll never experience motion sickness with room-scale VR[footnote]Specifically, one with proper tracking.[/footnote], but you're dramatically less likely to than you would with other VR experiences.
I'll have to take your word for it because I can't afford VR right now.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Cold Shiny said:
I've only used VR one time, at my friend's house, and I am still trying to figure out why they can't do full motion. Like I get that it can make you dizzy, but what if its just played sitting down, and they don't allow you to move too fast? Are there any VR games that give you full range of motion? Do people say they are horrible?

I just feel like the teleporty thing is not using VR to its full extent.
Doom VFR and Farpoint both have options for smooth turning and Doom VFR has full motion if you fiddle with the settings a bit.

I wouldn't have bought them if not since the teleporting works but I'm not especially prone to motion sickness so it rarely bothers me and I just prefer standard controls. The action in Doom VFR is pretty hectic though and it is the only game so far to give me a headache after playing it more than an hour.

I wonder...anyone smarter than I want to answer, would taking dramamine before playing not simply end any motion sickness problems people have?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Canadamus Prime said:
You'd be surprised how much it's come down since launch. The Rift with Touch setup is ~$300, and the first gen Vive is down to below $600.

By no means 'cheap', but well within the price range of, say, a console. And, with a crop of gen-2 hardware prepping to drop this year[footnote]Looking forward to hearing more about the Vive Pro.[/footnote], the prices will come down even more.

Not that I'm saying you should rush out to buy one. That's still a chunk of change to plonk down. But, if you ever find yourself with a little 'throwing around' money, they're finally within a price range that fits into the average users budget.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Vigormortis said:
Canadamus Prime said:
You'd be surprised how much it's come down since launch. The Rift with Touch setup is ~$300, and the first gen Vive is down to below $600.

By no means 'cheap', but well within the price range of, say, a console. And, with a crop of gen-2 hardware prepping to drop this year[footnote]Looking forward to hearing more about the Vive Pro.[/footnote], the prices will come down even more.

Not that I'm saying you should rush out to buy one. That's still a chunk of change to plonk down. But, if you ever find yourself with a little 'throwing around' money, they're finally within a price range that fits into the average users budget.
Yeah that's still a bit steep for me. I can't even afford a new console right now. I was going to buy a Switch and maybe a PS4 back in May, but then I lost my job and now I have to be VERY careful about my game spending.

lajo45

Feb 10, 2018
Use several hours of your spare time to acquire extra $1000 on your paypal account each week... Get more details on following site>>>

.......... http://Help80.com

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Canadamus Prime said:
Yeah that's still a bit steep for me. I can't even afford a new console right now. I was going to buy a Switch and maybe a PS4 back in May, but then I lost my job and now I have to be VERY careful about my game spending.
I mean, fair 'nough. My main point was that high-end VR is well on its way to becoming accessible to the general masses.

Even on the PC hardware front its getting dramatically more accessible.

Now if only we could kill off Bitcoin[footnote]And the dregs of human filth who mine them and buy up all the GPUs, artificially inflating the market on graphics cards. The mother fuckers... :mad:[/footnote], we might see high-end VR become as ubiquitous a household item as a gaming console or TV.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Vigormortis said:
Canadamus Prime said:
I mean, fair 'nough. My main point was that high-end VR is well on its way to becoming accessible to the general masses.

Even on the PC hardware front its getting dramatically more accessible.

Now if only we could kill off Bitcoin[footnote]And the dregs of human filth who mine them and buy up all the GPUs, artificially inflating the market on graphics cards. The mother fuckers... :mad:[/footnote], we might see high-end VR become as ubiquitous a household item as a gaming console or TV.
Yeah I get that. It's just not accessible to me.