Zero Punctuation: The Last Guardian

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Airon said:
The outro comic almost had me passing out from laughter.

Definitely the best this year for me. Have a great holiday Yatzee.
If only there was a puzzle involving Trico's poop. It would had been GOTY for me...

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Might be why it took so long ... getting Trico's AI perfect ... until Sony told them that they way behind schedule and that they would like the game out sometime this century (preferably within the PS4's life time), thus "good enough" AI (YMMV) was what everyone got.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Maybe I'm just tired but I laughed out loud many times while watching this review. To the jokes in the review. Not some other ridiculous thing. This sweater is so tickly.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
The dogbirdbeast's more irritating behaviors often get defended as "realistic". If this game were called "Guardian Training Simulator 2016" I would accept that as an excuse. But it's not nearly as okay in a puzzle platformer.

P.S. Thanks

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
And so we have the first pre-Christmas week since 2011 without a ZP Review of a Nintendo game.

I have a nagging feeling that it won't be the last one for long.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
In terms of laughs: this was the best episode in a while. In terms of the actual review: sounds pretty like the general consensus of the controls being "wonky", to put it nicely, and whether or not you'll enjoy it depends on whether or not you'll appreciate the aesthetic enough to look beyond the crappy mechanics.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
With the title "The Last Guardian" the way I see it is that the cat-eagle-chinchilla-ferret beast is either the last guardian for the boy in a coming of age story as he will hopefully learn to fend for himself, or the boy labels him his last guardian after the credits roll from sheer exasperation at the incompetence endured, with the final words something along the lines of "if you want something done properly..."

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
To be fair, I think the uncontrollability of the creature was sort of the point. It was an independent being with its own thoughts. Didn't make it less frustrating when he undid a lot of progress, but it felt like a real animal.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I was pretty much giggling the entire review at the insane design of that chimera thing.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Just thought you fellas might enjoy this guy's playthrough

<youtube=QvcFRgJwE2k>

Got to give the developers credit though, they really nailed the animal's behavior - as stubborn as a real cat and as dumb as a real dog. LOL

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
I almost called it quits on the part with the diving, too. I'm glad I'm not the only one that had trouble with that.

That aside, I really did enjoy the game, if for no other reason than I knew what I was signing up for when you have a young kid and a giant pet - lots of patience, frustration, miscommunication, but rewarding when you feel like the AI lined up with what you had in mind.

I do think a lot of patience is needed to play through it proficiently, observing and waiting to see what Trico thinks and does in a situation. The 'diving' part can screw right off, though.

Edit: ALSO I dunno if anyone else had this issue but I had a big problem with mashing every button on my controller every time a guard caught me - I always had that lingering feeling that it was contributing to that day when my controller would break. That's a terrible system that's the opposite of innovative. "Just mash ALL THE BUTTONS AT ONCE to break free! It's that simple!"

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
I would get mad at the Shenmue jab if it wasn't true. Valve stole the idea for the Weighted Companion Cube from my beloved Forklift No. 5.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
mrdude2010 said:
To be fair, I think the uncontrollability of the creature was sort of the point. It was an independent being with its own thoughts. Didn't make it less frustrating when he undid a lot of progress, but it felt like a real animal.
A number of people with pets took issue with those "Trico is like a real animal" claims, Jim Sterling especially, he said his own dog was way more obedient then Trico ever was.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
deadish said:

<youtube=QvcFRgJwE2k>

Got to give the developers credit though, they really nailed the animal's behavior - as stubborn as a real cat and as dumb as a real dog. LOL
I enjoyed this video much more:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZh_51AdYBo

Quinton Reeves

Sep 16, 2012
I have subscribed to The Escapist over a few years mostly for Zero Punctuation, and I'm finding the quality of service from this company to be severely lacking these days. Pages are still not mobile friendly, HD videos look like turd (seriously, you're better off waiting for it to go up on YouTube), and complaints go unanswered (in violation of consumer law). Suffice to say I won't be renewing my subscription - it's not worth the money. I'll see you on YouTube Yahtzee, good luck with this mess.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Igor-Rowan said:
Darth_Payn said:
Judas Rocking Priest, it's been 9 years since The Last Guardian was first announced? I thought this project was shitcanned for good after 3. Is the giant dog-bird-thing really that fussy while playing? Yahtzee makes this game sound like Team ICO's own Duke Nukem Forever. Which is hilarious.
When games like Duke Nukem Forever and Too Human suffer lots of delays on top of a change in platform, people now tend to approach carefully games that have the slightest hint of delay.
True, I think the Mighty No.9 still holds itself firmly in first place for Most Disappointing Game of the Year. I think that's why I'm enjoying Final Fantasy XV; I knew it was a clusterfuck of a cancelled FFXIII-spinoff-turned-legit-entry so I set the bar pretty low. I think the only other game I've played that had a ridiculously long development time that turned out well was Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
darkrage6 said:
deadish said:

<youtube=QvcFRgJwE2k>

I enjoyed this video much more:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZh_51AdYBo
Jim Sterling. :s Not a fan of the guy.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
darkrage6 said:
mrdude2010 said:
A number of people with pets took issue with those "Trico is like a real animal" claims, Jim Sterling especially, he said his own dog was way more obedient then Trico ever was.
Dogs range widely intelligence-wise.

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/07/dog.html