Zero Punctuation: The Last Guardian

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
mrdude2010 said:
To be fair, I think the uncontrollability of the creature was sort of the point. It was an independent being with its own thoughts. Didn't make it less frustrating when he undid a lot of progress, but it felt like a real animal.
I've heard that as well, but I don't believe it's justified when so many people make it through the entire game without adjusting to these odd/ unique/ whatever mechanics. The fact that so many people have to be told how it's meant to be played is another type of problem.

Well I'll find out one day whenever I get more space to fit a console in my room again.

this stupid nerd

Dec 31, 2015
I know about your opinions of pokemon, yahtzee, but I do think you would enjoy pokemon Sun and moon more than you enjoyed pokemon black and white. The main purpose would still probably feel like introducing more pokemon, but I feel like you would dislike the story less, or maybe even enjoy it. It has a different system to progression than black and white, and the friends are all enjoyable. Also, objective reminders so you don't forget the current goal ever again. You probably won't, but please do consider the game

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
deadish said:
darkrage6 said:
deadish said:
Just thought you fellas might enjoy this guy's playthrough

<youtube=QvcFRgJwE2k>

Got to give the developers credit though, they really nailed the animal's behavior - as stubborn as a real cat and as dumb as a real dog. LOL
I enjoyed this video much more:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZh_51AdYBo
Jim Sterling. :s Not a fan of the guy.
Jim is awesome.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
CaitSeith said:
*Obligatory "you played it wrong" comment*

Now I'll break the sarcasm and actually talk about how it was played wrong: you don't need to order Trico to jump from platform to platform every freaking time. Once he starts, he'll keep going until an obstacle stops him from jumping.
CaitSeith said:

Now I'll break the sarcasm and actually talk about how it was played wrong: you don't need to order Trico to jump from platform to platform every freaking time. Once he starts, he'll keep going until an obstacle stops him from jumping.
If you have to be told hours in that you are playing wrong then somethibg failed in game design... you get a pass if you packaged your game with a massive instruction manual you are expected to read like back in the 80s or 90s (I spent many an hour on the toilet reading manuals for games).

All I took from this is that I dont want to play this game.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
bjj hero said:
CaitSeith said:

If you have to be told hours in that you are playing wrong then somethibg failed in game design... you get a pass if you packaged your game with a massive instruction manual you are expected to read like back in the 80s or 90s (I spent many an hour on the toilet reading manuals for games).

All I took from this is that I dont want to play this game.
Very true. The narrator also serves as a hints source in this game. Whenever you're stuck for too long (or meditate), he hints the next step to continue. But that one important hint was omitted. Bad tutorial design.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
deadish said:
Just thought you fellas might enjoy this guy's playthrough

<youtube=QvcFRgJwE2k>

Got to give the developers credit though, they really nailed the animal's behavior - as stubborn as a real cat and as dumb as a real dog. LOL
"This is like the sequel to Hey You, Pikachu!"

That was hilarious. How come this hasn't been said more often?

PS: I also hate that freaking barrel more than anything else in the game, no, in the entire PS4 library.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
I enjoyed the game, but most of the criticisms I hear aren't wrong. There's some glitches and frame rate issues, controls are unwieldy (even for veterans of Team Ico games), puzzle design could be a lot clearer, the strict scripted events aren't always clear (for example, Dunkey's video above where he jumped when Trico wasn't "ready"), and Trico's AI isn't always reliable. I guess the reason why I liked it so much is that when it did work as intended, it pushed all the right buttons with me (and when it didn't, it was sometimes unintentionally hilarious. I fell off a running Trico's back in an endgame cutscene and the kid stood there staring as Trico ran and skidded to a stop). It's so uncommon to see non-pet-sim games with a primary focus on relationships with animals, and said animals not acting purely like a machine (comparing, LOZ's Epona to SOTC's Agro). Personal tastes, but I know not everyone shares it. It's a potential masterpiece that is unfortunately weighed down by stupid stuff that makes it super unlikable to people that can't tolerate it. Regardless of opinion, The Last Guardian teaches a lot of lessons about gaming today, including how we shouldn't underestimate the importance of performance and controls, realism doesn't always translate to good game design, etc (some positive things too, but I guess the two I listed are the most relevant).

I adored Trico (from his big doofy face, to his smooshy feathers, to his derpy brain), but at the same time I work with animals as part of my career as a veterinary technician (which is like a nurse for animals). If I got pissed off easily at an animal that didn't do what I wanted them to do, I wouldn't have lasted as long as I have lol.

MattH

Dec 30, 2016
Why did I even bother to watch this. The comments about the art direction alone. There is the first game in years with one and he treats it the same as a cheap indie-knockoff of it. (Not alone this title but ALL of them.) What a philistine.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
darkrage6 said:
mrdude2010 said:
To be fair, I think the uncontrollability of the creature was sort of the point. It was an independent being with its own thoughts. Didn't make it less frustrating when he undid a lot of progress, but it felt like a real animal.
A number of people with pets took issue with those "Trico is like a real animal" claims, Jim Sterling especially, he said his own dog was way more obedient then Trico ever was.
Fair point. I own a couple of cats, and while they're pretty independent, they'll still knock it off if you tell them to stop scratching the sofa or jumping on the table.

Delicious Anathema

Aug 25, 2009
This is the type of game Sony fans will wave back and forth like Sega's did with Shenmue, isn't it?

Seems like a game with crap controls but charming artstyle, and we all know how that goes.