Zero Punctuation: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

forsinain42

Oct 14, 2009
Nice to see Yahtzee gave it pretty much the same review I did.

http://nerdcubed.co.uk/2011/07/09/the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-3d-review/

This was the final straw before I sold my 3DS. If nintendo's remakes are just 15 year old ports then i'm out.

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
I thought Twilight Princess and Windwaker were the best Zelda games.
Why?
The Gamecube controller was easily Nintendo's best made controller. I tried the Wii version of Twilight Princess and found that the only difficulty was not overdosing on painkillers as my wrists began to hurt. Ocarina of Time had it's moments ten years ago, but it's not Symphony of the Night, it can't hold up to modern standards like classic 2D platformers.

I'm starting to hate Nintendo. Re-releasing the DS with a hardware upgrade was a good idea, improving third party support is something Nintendo DESPERATELY needed to do, but adding even more stupid fucking gimmicks? Is Nintendo actively trying to cripple us all?

Althus

Sep 24, 2010
A... the old trick "We don´t need to make a new Zelda Game, let´s just trow the "best" Zelda again, and see how many MONEY we can make this time".

Nintendo you smart devils you :).

Funny thing is a never ever played a Zelda game, and probably never will.

I Don't really know why but the all "Nintendo" concept still eludes me, but since I am not form US that might explain why,I get a felling Nintendo is more loved in US then in all the rest of the World including Japan.

But I sure like to watch Yahtzee reviewing them.It makes me almost have the felling of having played them.
Almost :)

Now the serious part, I am not saying that this game is bad, or that i hate Nintendo or other negative expression. I am just saying I didn't care about Zelda wend I was younger and I still don't care now, and this game wont change this fact.

But I do enjoy the review YahtZee Does about them, especially the names he gives to Link "Fag Balls " is one of my favorites from one of is old reviews If I am not mistaken.

So to some it up I am happy for all the People that love this game and have a chance to play it again in a newer version.
But for me its just another of those game that passes me by like so many others, and that Nintendo is just trying to cash in form it.

KingCrInuYasha

Jan 17, 2011
StriderShinryu said:
So, basically, Yahtzee discovered the Nintendo formula. Make one game, or variation on a franchise, and then do nothing but iterate on it for 20 years. My only question is: why did it take him so long?
Isn't this the formula for many a franchise? Most of the Final Fantasy games, Ratchet And Clank, Sonic, Mega Man and, especially, Street Fighter II are guilty of the same thing.

Also:

1. The 3D gimmick really is pointless. My experience with it is exactly how Yahtzee described it. Unfortunately for him, this the only thing he and I agree with.

2. I find it funny that he rags on the N64's graphics, yet doesn't do the same thing with the PS1 or the Saturn.

3. Ocarina of Time is dated. Does it automatically make it bad? No. At least it's held up better than say, the Sonic Adventure games.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
I am glad yahtzee has a simaler opinon to me

I may be a nintendo fan girl but I often get in arguments about how Oot is not the holy grail of games and that twilight is better
and the water temple is not mind blowing hard (heck the only hard part is the mini boss dark link but he can be bypassed by cheating and spamming din's fire)

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
KingCrInuYasha said:
StriderShinryu said:
So, basically, Yahtzee discovered the Nintendo formula. Make one game, or variation on a franchise, and then do nothing but iterate on it for 20 years. My only question is: why did it take him so long?
Isn't this the formula for many a franchise? Most of the Final Fantasy games, Ratchet And Clank, Sonic, Mega Man and, especially, Street Fighter II are guilty of the same thing.
To some degree, yes. Iterations on a single idea or set of ideas are part what of makes a series into a series. Most other series haven't been going on as long as Nintendo's series have been, and most companies, especially those of Nintendos size, aren't as reliant on releasing essentially the same 4 or 5 games over and over again. They at least try something new. Also, far too many people are so ready to point their finger at companies that are not Nintendo when it comes to this sort of thing and yet Nintendo constantly gets treated like some sort of golden goose.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
StriderShinryu said:
It didn't. He calls Nintendo out on this every time he reviews a game by them.

triggrhappy94 said:
Wait, people outside America call indian burns "Chinese burns"?
That's interesting
Yeah I was thinking the same thing.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
So is there something in the Escapist contract that says you have to hold the 3DS incorrectly when reviewing a game for it? This is twice on the site where the game has been reviewed (or critiqued) where the writer complained about nonsensical pain or awkwardness from holding the 3DS. It's not a game controller guys, you don't hold it as tightly as you can in your hands.

KingCrInuYasha said:
No, Sonic is not guilty of that. If it was, the games would still be good instead of bucket of shit after bucket of shit. I guess you could say Sonic is guilty of that recently, but not for his entire franchise.

chickenhound said:
and the water temple is not mind blowing hard (heck the only hard part is the mini boss dark link but he can be bypassed by cheating and spamming din's fire)
Dark Link isn't even hard if you went and got the Biggoron's Sword. No need to cheat, just keep stabbing (not slashing) him and he's finished.

Dominoblox

Jul 26, 2011
I'm pretty much the biggest Zelda fangirl on the planet, but I even I laughed at the review. Gotta laugh at the things you love, or you'll just wind up snapping at everyone with a different opinion.

KingCrInuYasha

Jan 17, 2011
StriderShinryu said:
...Iterations on a single idea or set of ideas are part what of makes a series into a series. Most other series haven't been going on as long as Nintendo's series have been, and most companies, especially those of Nintendo's size, aren't as reliant on releasing essentially the same 4 or 5 games over and over again. They at least try something new. Also, far too many people are so ready to point their finger at companies that are not Nintendo when it comes to this sort of thing and yet Nintendo constantly gets treated like some sort of golden goose.
Point taken. Not helped by the fact the last new IP Nintendo developed, Pikmin, was roughly ten tears ago. Definitely not helped by the fact that they still won't release the rest of the Mother series here in the States.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
StriderShinryu said:
To some degree, yes. Iterations on a single idea or set of ideas are part what of makes a series into a series. Most other series haven't been going on as long as Nintendo's series have been, and most companies, especially those of Nintendos size, aren't as reliant on releasing essentially the same 4 or 5 games over and over again. They at least try something new.
They don't do that though. Sure, each series has its core elements that are present in each game, but there's also something to make each game or sub-series unique.

Edit:
KingCrInuYasha said:
Point taken. Not helped by the fact the last new IP Nintendo developed, Pikmin, was roughly ten tears ago.
The last new IP they made was Steel Diver for the 3DS. Before that, unless I missed something, was Wii Sports.

Zetsubou^-^

Mar 1, 2011
water lvl wasn't hard. although dark link could have frustrated people that didn't grab biggoron's sword.

honestly im surprised yahtzee still complains about zelda rehashing stuff. tp and OoT both rip from link to the past, which was itself a more fleshed out version of the original. i don't discount any legend of zelda for rehashing, because its a good game. each new one has its own charms and improvements, and was a good game in its own right. while i admit changing it up a little more might not be bad, nintendo has already proven how hard they can screw up.

IMO, zelda is probably better off with small improvements and maybe a few excursions into other stories every now and then. it doesn't need to pull a final fantasy where story, location, characters, and mechanics are all different every game.

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
I honestly never got the hatred for the water temple, I hated the shadow temple more as a kid (dead hand can go rot in hell, that thing scared me). Besides I loved Dark Link as a boss, I thought he was awesome when I was younger.

I get where Yahtzee is coming from (and I hate how it's almost exactly the same game, they barely even touched the graphics). Hell now I think on it, I agree.

Re releasing a game should only be done to either bring it up to date or to port it to where it could not go before. I make no illusion of my desire for FFVII to be released in high definition graphics, because doing so won't be terrible. The gameplay carries over, FF has learnt some lessons but that game itself is strong enough to stand up wherever you put it down. Ocarina of Time was a great game, still is if you take it for it's time.

But releasing it now without change is silly. The series has progressed, it's evolved over time, the gameplay isn't as solid anymore, or as fluid. Those may contradict but I hope the meaning carries. It needs to be strong enough to stand and with those new games being everything it was but better it's not right to release Ocarina of Time as a full price game with no changes. It's like slapping mascara on the dead cat to show those new kittens who's boss.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Delicious Anathema said:
Zelda is so tired by now, even Skyward Sword seems like the same old thing over again.

They should remake Majora's Mask with a decent gameplay and flow, instead of the frustrating mess it was, because the story was there.
except story alone is no reason to make a game. They should remake Majora's Mask because it had excellent gameplay mechanics, AND a decent story.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Interrobangin said:
One of the most boring ZP videos I've ever seen. I think Mr. Croshaw needs a vacation.
I thought this was the funniest one he's done in a while.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Hugga_Bear said:
I honestly never got the hatred for the water temple, I hated the shadow temple more as a kid (dead hand can go rot in hell, that thing scared me). Besides I loved Dark Link as a boss, I thought he was awesome when I was younger.

I get where Yahtzee is coming from (and I hate how it's almost exactly the same game, they barely even touched the graphics). Hell now I think on it, I agree.

Re releasing a game should only be done to either bring it up to date or to port it to where it could not go before. I make no illusion of my desire for FFVII to be released in high definition graphics, because doing so won't be terrible. The gameplay carries over, FF has learnt some lessons but that game itself is strong enough to stand up wherever you put it down. Ocarina of Time was a great game, still is if you take it for it's time.

But releasing it now without change is silly. The series has progressed, it's evolved over time, the gameplay isn't as solid anymore, or as fluid. Those may contradict but I hope the meaning carries. It needs to be strong enough to stand and with those new games being everything it was but better it's not right to release Ocarina of Time as a full price game with no changes. It's like slapping mascara on the dead cat to show those new kittens who's boss.
Everyone hates the water temple for two reasons:

A) It's a water level with poorly designed(almost every game ever) swimming mechanics (or lack thereof).

B) Rising and Lowering water levels was tedious, and most kids back in the day never looked at the Map screen, as Yahtzee pointed out.

PatSilverFox

Apr 2, 2011