Zero Punctuation: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.

Watch Video

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Still hating this new layout.... this was so hard to find...

Obligatory: Great as usual...

Can we fix the layout now?

Edit:

/sigh

Yes, yes, yes. It's on the front page now. Try being here hours ago though, it was not.

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
"I'm not a harp player but I'm pretty sure there's more to that." Haha.

And my God, I never thought I'd encounter a video game character that's more of a Captain Obvious than Fuuka from Persona 3.

Price0331

Mar 8, 2009
I picked up skyward sword and still can't get past the intro town.

I've been a Zelda fan for years, but I'll be damned to say that this formula is getting waaaaaaay past its prime. I mean, Nintendo still doesn't even want to voice act these things.

So yeah, +1 to Yahtzee

Movement_Machine

Oct 17, 2011
I liked this game. thought the dungeons were a good challenge (cahllenge has been something i've found lacking in games lately) so ya I don't think it's the worst one ever. Honestly i don't think any of the zelda games are bad.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Well this is unexpected review.
Anyway wow you had pointed out all the flaws which I fully agreed on for all of them (ha it's so true about Treta lose her personality once she become Zelda).
Yes I still like the game but I wasn't exactly blown away by it due to some of the flaws and changes they made.
The only thing you didn't mention was the stamina meter and the new control method.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Remember back in the day when we could just reload the page at twelve and ZP would be right there in the Latest Posts?
I miss three weeks ago!
I have discovered the solution to our problem!

Just bookmark the "Latest video" page. It's how I found it this time... and it will be how I find it and all the other content... FOREVER! Just bypass the content page all together!

Man I'm a genius!

Here you go random people. Have a link to bookmark:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/latest/

Kenkaku

Nov 7, 2007
As a Zelda fan, I pretty much have to agree with Yahtzee that this is the worst Zelda game I've played thus far (not a bad game, just a huge letdown after waiting all this time): it just feels incredibly small, padded, and directionless in a lot of aspects.

But I do implore not just you Yahtzee, but everyone that has qualms with the franchise: don't criticize the series for being 'samey' and then talk about how it takes place in a different world, involve new gameplay mechanics, has new characters, and the like. One thing Yahtzee mentions in the review is that all the items are the same, but doesn't mention that two of the first three dungeons have entirely new items (I don't know about the rest of the game, because that's as far as I got so far).

I ask because, as a Zelda fan, I want to see the franchise grow and develop, but it's not going to happen if Nintendo or the series' biggest fans look at these complaints and then immediately write them off for being hypocritical. Saying each game is like a newer beta is probably the quickest way to get your complaints ignored.

CronoT

May 15, 2010
I pretty much agree with you on the part about Zelda and lack of personality. However, she at least has something resembling one. So, if she's an oven, what does that make Princess Peach?

Don't say a door mat. That's just too easy. Besides, Mario's been saving her butt for 25 years, and by all accounts still hasn't gotten any. His blue balls must be the size of bowling balls by now.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
He did the German accent! It IS Christmas!
Don't worry about the CDI games, Dr. Brown said they didn't count. We won't Tri/Force you to review them.
Boo! *thumbs down*
------------------

Wasn't expecting Yahtzee to like this one, hating Nintendo's his thing, but to call it the worst ever (save the CDI versions)? Hah, hah.

Given the details he gave, though, I might rent this one. The thing he loved about WW was the exact thing I hated about it, and if there's less of that wandering-around-aimlessly stuff present, it already places it above the only 2 LoZ games I've played.

zefiris

Dec 3, 2011
I think this review is really spot on...in pretty much every way.

It helps that I can't really play the game for longer than 30 minutes because my wrist starts hurting like hell at this point. Stupid motion controls >_<

I think Skyward Sword tried to go away from the formula a bit, with the reduction of the areas and revisiting them, I just think...thats the wrong, wrong way to handle this. There should be more exploration, not less. And no, the chest thing isn't more exploration, it's just more stupid. It was bad in wind waker (treasure map -> treasure, bah), and it didn't improve here.

Don't say a door mat. That's just too easy. Besides, Mario's been saving her butt for 25 years, and by all accounts still hasn't gotten any. His blue balls must be the size of bowling balls by now.
I will never understand the belief men hold that helping a woman in some way automatically means he is entitled to have sex with her at some point.

Besides, it's canon that this is only a game between Bowser and Mario, anyway, to spice up their relationship (lie).

A Curious Fellow

Nov 16, 2010
Draconalis said:
Still hating this new layout.... this was so hard to find...

Obligatory: Great as usual...

Can we fix the layout now?
I kinda wish i had something more to say than this.

Oh, right: I wet myself when he yelled "NURRRSE!"

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
trollpwner said:
"Skyward Sword is the worst Zelda game ever".

Wow, we aren't just going to need a flameshield, we need a flamebunker!
Just be careful which one you chose, they were never meant to save anyone...

Anyways, I have to consider renting this game now just to see if it is that bad...

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Kenkaku said:
Saying each game is like a newer beta is probably the quickest way to get your complaints ignored.
Your complaints are going to get ignored anyway...

Nintendo doesn't care what you think...

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
You know what? I loved Skyward Sword. And yet for some reason I was so happy to hear Yahtzee take a crap on it. Why? No idea. I think it might have something to do with the fact that I enjoyed playing SS (well thats bad initialism...) because I love the Zelda formula, and getting a new adventure was nice, but it still felt off. The flaws are rampant and, while they weren't enough to keep me from playing the game non-stop, they harm the game. It is not a ten out of ten, it is not the best Zelda ever (forget those other sites). Its fun, not a masterpiece. Fun is all I ask for, but I was getting sick of reviewers treating it like the Goddess's gift to gaming.

robinkom

Jan 8, 2009
Rather engrossed in Skyward Sword myself and this is coming from another person who despises Motion Controls. I'm more than a little surprised at how good the controls really are... I'm not as critical over the response time at Yahtzee, it seems fine to me. I believe it's because that, since beating Ocarina of Time way back 1998, I neither finished and/or played any following Zelda game.

I never played Majora's Mask because I didn't own the RAM Expansion nor did the premise of it interest me.

I've played Wind Waker on maybe 3 separate occasions, never making it very far past the dragon boss towards the start. The visuals were adorably attractive though. I never even touched or looked at it's DS sequels.

I've played Twilight Princess, again, on three separate occasions and generally lost interest after the Forest Temple. I also hate turning into a wolf. Fuck that. Fan-tards clamouring for Adult Link and gritty brown-gray visuals irritated me too.

I'm more than a little interested overall in the story and the fact that it's a prequel to Ocarina of Time... you know because of that whole convoluted timeline Nintendo continues to expand for the franchise... the master document confirmed to exist behind closed doors. I'm noticing a lot of subtle nuances and nods to the original NES Zelda, my second favourite of the series. Things like that help me soldier through the game and set aside my disdain for Motion Controls.

Fucking funny video though, Yahztee, as usual.

Indignator

Oct 26, 2011
BX3 said:
Wasn't expecting Yahtzee to like this one, hating Nintendo's his thing, but to call it the worst ever (save the CDI versions)? Hah, hah.
Then which one is the worst?