Zero Punctuation: The Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker HD

Ironshroom

Apr 3, 2012
Daystar Clarion said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Ah, nan's soup.

I don't think I ever bought a single potion in that game, just helped to recede the industry.
Endlessly Milking a single source of sustenance by cashing in on pre-existing goodwill while letting fresh original products shrivel away like leeches at a vampire convention? What are you? EA?
Nan's soup is the only beverage/food a boy adventurer ever needs.

You know, cos, you can kind of eat and drink soup at the same time.

[HEADING=1]Nan's soup![/HEADING]
Riding straight outta your imagination, using my powers to fight against crime?

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
FiveSpeedf150 said:
tehweave said:
I for one really liked Majora's Mask. I'd like to see what yahtzee thinks of that.
I just didn't get into it like I did OoT.
That's fair. OOT is more of an "epic" while Majora plays more like an "adventure."

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Easily my favorite Zelda game. Though even I'm not sure it's worth buying twice. It's nice to see Yahtzee actually acknowledge when a Nintendo game is genuinely good though.

Well it's too late for me to buy a gamecube and I don't feel like throwing money away on the wii u. Time to boot up the emulator...
You can play Gamecube games on the Wii. Which they still sell in various places.

The Ubermensch

Mar 6, 2012
But... but... Midna!

And turning into a wolf...

but mainly Midna!

Who cares about Link? Zelda's not about Link, it's about the supporting characters, all the way.

There is something BDSM about that whole relationship and I don't understand how you couldn't have been into it.

The only time Link needed to show any emotion was at the end of Ocarina Of Time, where he needed to smack Zelda the fuck down.

Go back in time to fix your mistakes? ***** please, that is not the way of the Ubermensch

What is wrong with you Ben!?!

My life has been a lie.

*Sobbs silently in the corner*

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Not sure, but I don't think I heard Yahtzee badmouth the tablet even once in this review. Ether I'm selectively ignoring the redundant argument, or he didn't bring it up for once.

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
I like it when games take themselves Way Too Seriously, so I didn't like Wind Waker's cartoony atmosphere. It also happened along around the time I was hoping for the awesome higher-graphics 3d Zelda that would turn out to be Twilight Princess way later, so I was very let down by the ridiculous cel-shading.

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
Worgen said:
Its so weird to see Yahtzee really enjoy a Nintendo game, or at least straight up say he enjoys one. Especially a remake or a rerelease. Perhaps this is the end... Oh well, can't say I'll miss the world.
He was yammering on about how much he liked Metroid Prime a few weeks ago in Extra Punctuation, wishing that it got a rerelease like Wind Waker did, apparently never heard of this [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metroid_Prime:_Trilogy]. That said, maybe he's still trying to ignore the Wii versions of the Prime games lest he admit that perhaps motion controls are indeed a better way to do something (and I wouldn't be saying that had I not been able to back it up by dropping $100 on a Razer Hydra to replace my mouse in TF2 when I could've gotten a perfectly nice gaming mouse for about half the price, so bite me.)

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
I found the duck in the bubble bath to be intensely humorous.

Once an anti-cel-shade hipster always an anti-cel-shade hipster though, and I probably won't play it this time round just because I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the Gamecube (which, tangentially, had the last good Smash Brothers on it).

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
Wind Waker music can be as repetitive as it freaking wants, and I will come back and say: more, please. The Great Sea theme has got to be my favorite Zelda theme since the original NES adventure. The only thing that could make my existence one iota less bleak is if Smooth McGroove did an arrangement of that song OH WAIT HE DID.

ntfwc

Oct 28, 2013
Blue ChuChus? Ha.
I never actually bothered to get the blue potion that way. It was simply way too easy to just get blue potion through Boko Baba Seeds at the Forest Haven. I mean the place is covered in Boko Babas, the guy you trade with is right there, and you only need four of the things per potion. Plus it is one of the spots you can instantly teleport to in the latter part of the game.

I never needed the Chu Jelly Juice Shop because, by the time I could make use of it, it was completely obsolete.

Lazule

Oct 11, 2013
I agree with Yahtzee that LoZ:WW was a great game. I say that this re-make is only worth it if you sold/lost your Gamecube version of the game.

Good thing I still have it and being honest I'll speedrun through the game this time thanks to Yahtzee. This game did open world adventure RIGHT!

Howling Din

Mar 10, 2011
I hear Mister Yahtzee's description of Twilight Princess Link, and I think: So if Twilight Princess was first-person, and you never saw his face, he'd be just like Gordon Freeman! Same destiny to save the world, same silent compliance to do so, and same iconic getup!
Do you see the common ground here?

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Well, at least he didn't mindlessly say all Zelda games were the same and included Majora's Mask among the games, AGAIN. >_>

Waddles

Mar 16, 2010
This is the first ZP that has made me laugh out loud in ages.

Pokemon next week? :D

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Waddles said:

Pokémon not at all. He said that he's said all he needs to say on Pokémon with his review of White. Which is fine. I personally don't think the goal has been catching 'em all since Yellow, but whatever.

Lazule said:
I agree with Yahtzee that LoZ:WW was a great game. I say that this re-make is only worth it if you sold/lost your Gamecube version of the game.

Good thing I still have it and being honest I'll speedrun through the game this time thanks to Yahtzee. This game did open world adventure RIGHT!
Speaking as someone who owns a copy of the Gamecube original, and ha an easy way to play it, I had grerat fun with the HD remake and would recommend it, as I feel it ironed out some of the flaws the original did have. Granted, it didn't add any new dungeons, but...

The sailing, as mentioned in the review, is improved by the addition of a Swift Sail that speeds you up and automatically changes wind for you, which expedites the sailing without cutting it out entirely, as with the teleport song. Also, the sail, salvage crane, Wind Waker, and cannon are all assigned to buttons other than your standard item use buttons, and automatically when you get on the boat. So you no longer have to tie up your item buttons with the sail and baton. They streamlined the Triforce quest which made the game's pacing grind to a screeching halt when you beat all but the final dungeons. And for those who like taking pictographs? They made getting the color box easier, increased the capacity to 12 photos, and made it so the figurine maker will take any number of photos in one day, rather than one at a time.

It also added Hero Mode. Remember the bit where Yahtzee says you can just ignore potions and get by on a ridculous number of heart drops? Hero Mode not only doubles the damage enemies do, but also removes all heart drops. So it makes the game more challenging and gives you a reason to grab some soup and potions.

The additions were enough for me to want to get this version of the game.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Waddles said:

Probably not, the intro of the video basically explains why.