Zero Punctuation: The Order: 1886 - Steampunk Modern Warfare

Azure23

Nov 5, 2012
Say it with me now!

Buy a used copy from GameStop, play it, beat it, return it within seven days and get all your money back. Definitely worth it, as there is some legitimately fun gameplay in there. I just wish the levels had been bigger. Some are actually very fun such as the claustrophobic final level which has you battling through the London catacombs. The final firefight in particular is incredibly hectic and challenging.

It's not a terrible game, it's average. It has some decent characters and a decent if predictable narrative. The gameplay is everything that every other third person shooter has led us to expect.
But still, play it for free. Why wouldn't you? It's kinda cool even if just so you can see how absolutely gorgeous games can look on a new gen console.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I loved the cockney sparra', their little face was so full of rage!

OT: This one looks disappointing and it's kind of interesting to watch all these games about monster hunting just kind of fizzle away into nothing while actual Monster Hunter continues to do well with a niche audience.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Kwak said:
But what are people expecting exactly? New gameplay types? The same basic laws of gameplay still apply, so a game that was fun on ps3 or ps2 will still be fun on ps4 if it has the same skeleton in a shinier package won't it?
I though ps4 infamous was considered good, and Unity (bugs aside) was meant to be a decent AC game, and I'll be getting those when I take the plunge, unless I need to be disabused of the notion those are worth getting?
I don't really mind doing the same sort of thing again given a slightly different world, if movement is fun and exploration is there then I'll happily get lost in it.
Dying Light looks like a fun zombie romp and GTA5 will be worth playing again. I'm just curious what people seem to be after that new-gen is not delivering? Totally randomly generated infinite levels or something?
Because even before that, the ultimate nail in the coffin comes up: they are just BORING. In fact, they AREN'T doing more of the same; forget about even maintaining status quo, they're outright regression in terms of quality. When their predecessors are more fun, have more variety, and better design then what's the point? Ezio's saga and AC: IV are more interesting and more fun than Unity for example. Whatever the designers are using the hardware for, they're certainly not using it to make a good game. The current gen is just proving that it's just going to be a shinier but ultimately inferior copy of the last one.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Aiddon said:
Because even before that, the ultimate nail in the coffin comes up: they are just BORING. In fact, they AREN'T doing more of the same; forget about even maintaining status quo, they're outright regression in terms of quality. When their predecessors are more fun, have more variety, and better design then what's the point? Ezio's saga and AC: IV are more interesting and more fun than Unity for example. Whatever the designers are using the hardware for, they're certainly not using it to make a good game. The current gen is just proving that it's just going to be a shinier but ultimately inferior copy of the last one.
Well that's a shame, I can see a valid argument being made they are dumbing-down gaming while making it superficially prettier which does bother me.
But if the complaint is just that the gameplay is the same as the last-generation, I'm not bothered; if it was fine then it's fine now.
I'll still play Black Flag again on ps4, that gave me the old exploration thrill.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
A shaved bear with Al Swearengen's vocabulary would have been much more interesting ^^

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Thanatos2k said:
direkiller said:
It toped out the UK sales charts.
But besides evolve nothing came out for consoles Cod:AW, Far cry 4, and GTA:5, and Majora's mask are still on the top 10 list, so it could mean little to nothing.
Yeah, but since when does topping UK sales charts (in a dead month with little competition) mean a game sold like crazy? Especially since the charts don't even include numbers, just "ranking"?
according to the internet, enough to show that reviews don't matter

Fsyco

Feb 18, 2014
President Bagel said:
Sounds like the most average video game ever created. How exactly did this garner over 25 E3 awards, anyways?
E3 awards are based entirely around speculation and pre-release material, not on the actual game. Aliens: Colonial Marines won a bunch of E3 awards, and all of those were before the actual game was released. E3 awards don't actually mean anything in terms of quality. It's like if people reviewed restaurants based only on pictures of the kitchen and ingredients.

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
I don't usually like to gush like this, but Yahtzee was in rare form for this one. I'd put it up there with one of his best critiques; he both succinctly got to the heart of each problem and put it in a clever, relatable way. If critiquing a game were a fight between samurai, Yahtzee would have just done this to The Order 1886: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TBaJS5ioLuA#t=69

Pikey Mikey

Aug 24, 2010
Thank God (for Jim) that I didn't pay for this game. Instead I played it at a friend's place (he also happens to have the nearest PS4). And speaking of the Stalker/Raptors from Dead Space. Isn't it a little depressing that they were actually MORE ADVANCED than the half-breeds? I mean, they actually ran around behind crates and carefully peeked out before running at you. These retards just stand out in the open and glare at you before running in a straight line and repeating the exact (EXACT) pattern until you kill them. Furthermore I never got the timing down on how to dodge them, and the game was set to Hard and somehow I still didn't die! (And no, that's not a positive thing).

That game has a few positive things about it, like amazing graphics and even more amazing mustaches, (also, Coach-Gun), but there are SO MANY problems with it. One of which being that they keep removing my goddamn weapons all the time so that when I finally get my hands on a shotgun that MELTS PEOPLE, they take it away after (on average) 5 minutes, or seven enemies...
It could've been good, if they'd actually tried to make a game.

(and as an ending note, fuck that letterboxing!)

Captcha: Too many cooks
I WISH! =P

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Speaking of the closing sequence, as a run-of-the-mill furry, these werewolves are some of the downright ugliest I've ever seen.

But then again, I remember reading in the previews that the devs wanted them to be butt-ugly so there's that.

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
Aiddon said:
Kindafunny how this game comes out only mere weeks before another steampunk game vaguely similar to The League of Extraordinary Gentleman: Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. Though whereas 1886 is drab, dingy, dull and just another dime-a-dozen shooter with no interest in using its setting to add a bit of gameplay variety, STEAM is a turn-based strategy game with loads of personality and flair with uniqu weapons and an identity.

Anyway, this is what I say: add it to the pile. Every attempt to sell the PS4 and XB1 has thus far been weak. Titanfall, Watch Dogs, Infamous: Second Son, Ryse, Destiny, Evolve, Assassin's Creed: Unity, Sunset Overdrive, Dying Light, etc have been nothing more than tech demos. Not even glorified tech demos, just tech demos they decided to charge us for. All this has only raised the obvious question: what is the point of these new systems? Because clearly nobody, not even the exclusives people, are doing anything that clearly required them. So far it just seems like we're up for more padding before we get to anything worthwhile.
Yes - I couldn't agree with you more. I'll be getting my copy of Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. on release day.

And Yahtzee, the bit with Cadbury had me rolling.

EKLCS 2196

Mar 26, 2014
No lie, this game seemed promising with the environment it was set in; moreover, when is the last time any of us have actually seen werewolf's in the Triple A industry?
Well after this disappointing pile probably not for a long time.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Never understood the reasoning that every game you buy/play has to be some near perfect gem according to reviews people often in these review comments show off (except when reviews don't matter because one of managements favourites got 10/10 marks, or their internet darlings didn't get perfect marks of course). A game being mediocre doesn't mean it isn't worth your time/not worth playing. It'd be like only being a fan of guys who are certain main eventers because only they will be at the top of the card... boring and missing out on others you'd enjoy. Midcarders for life and even jobbers have fans because they have qualities that make them worth supporting... and who knows maybe some support will turn that jobber into a main eventer (game leading into a good sequel in gaming terms).

Anyway... Order 1886 is a midcarder who'll likely fall into jobber status like I thought it would be. Nice gimmick but needs to work on the ringwork if they want to go that one step further. My advice would be to put them in a tag team with Infamous as that is a performer with good ringwork order 1886 can learn a lot from.

Lazule

Oct 11, 2013
Azure23 said:
Say it with me now!

Buy a used copy from GameStop, play it, beat it, return it within seven days and get all your money back. Definitely worth it, as there is some legitimately fun gameplay in there. I just wish the levels had been bigger. Some are actually very fun such as the claustrophobic final level which has you battling through the London catacombs. The final firefight in particular is incredibly hectic and challenging.

It's not a terrible game, it's average. It has some decent characters and a decent if predictable narrative. The gameplay is everything that every other third person shooter has led us to expect.
But still, play it for free. Why wouldn't you? It's kinda cool even if just so you can see how absolutely gorgeous games can look on a new gen console.
Ha ha! Great idea, thanks man.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
It's really quite sad how little effort went into the actual gameplay of this tech demo. There's two major fights with these super werewolves and they're identical. They're literally the exact same QTE and one of them is the final boss.

Ugh, at least Ryse actually was a launch title.

StreamerDarkly

Disciple of Trevor Philips
Jan 15, 2015
It definitely takes some sting out of the PLATFORM EXCLUSIVE designation when you realize that the easily impressed age 50-something executive goons for the other consoles probably elected to pass on the game.

Hilarious video though.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Funniest visuals I've ever seen! Trophy-wife with YouTube-loading symbols for eyes, and the "sexually frustrated hippo".
I'm at GDC today, and I saw people playing The Order: 1886 in the Sony Lounge here, and my God it looks dull! All that graphical processing power to make everything look so bloody dull and grey. And now I find the story isn't original at all either. Pass.
Yahtzee's not at GDC this year, is he? If he was here, and it was a totally unannounced surprise, I would be soooooooo happy.
Kerethos said:
Having watched a full playthough of this game I can't but agree with this review. It wasn't even a very good movie, just very pretty.

It does nothing new. Everything is stuff we've all seen before. Also, Sir Galahad is the dumbest protagonist ever.

It's like he's hilariously senile but still magically coherent. And he clearly has no clue about the basics of proving a conspiracy. But here's some basic tips though:

1. Don't burn all the evidence.
2. Share anything you find with people you can trust - LIKE YOUR TEAM (That way they don't have to think you're a bad guy, because you've told them what you know so they'll know when the real badguy says you're bad. In fact bring some trusted friends along - like your whole team of centuries old trained killers?)
3. When magic monster man calls for your arrest ask people to check the wound you just have him. Because no human would still be walking around after getting impaled like that.
4. If you are put on trial - offer the evidence (which you have not set fire too) as proof of your story. The supposed victims magical healing ability is also pretty good proof that he's not human (since only the knights get the magic bloodwater).

Just a few starter tips, free of charge.

And for science we all need to know some very important information regarding the development:
Who was in charge of the dick rendering?
Is it pre-rendered dick, or fully physics enabled and rendered in real time?

Seriously though, best dick I've seen in a game since Farcry 4. Probably because dicks are rare in games, outside of Skyrim modding, so I say good on you if you are a developer brave enough to free the willy. Sometimes the dick needs to flop freely.
The collecting of evidence of a conspiracy sounds like one giant fetch quest, the kind that slowly reveals more details of the story, presented in (All together now!) random documents and audio logs.
Good luck getting THAT out of your head tonight.