Zero Punctuation: The Surge

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
The Souls community has been talking this game up big time, but I was skeptical as soon as I saw Deck 13 involved. I've made multiple attempts at getting through Lords of the Fallen and I always get bored and quit around level 40-ish. It's boring, the story isn't engaging, and it's ridiculously easy. I'm sure that this game is neat and all but it sounds like more of the same.

4Aces

May 29, 2012
nightowlc said:
The "Tropic of Fuckabout" is brilliant.
It is a highly accurate definition that I suspect will get a lot of use in the near future, as more companies try to cover up the 1/3rd of a game they are trying to sell for full price.

Apothecary2

Aug 28, 2011
Dalisclock said:
Isn't Hollow Knight also a Souls-like? Has anyone played it? Is it worth a try?
Its a metroidvania. Which isn't a definineg characteristic of "souls-like" considering Demon's Souls and Nioh are level based.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Apothecary2 said:
Dalisclock said:
Its a metroidvania. Which isn't a definineg characteristic of "souls-like" considering Demon's Souls and Nioh are level based.
Fair enough. It's just that Souls-like gets thrown around so often nowadays that it's getting hard to tell. I realize that the souls games are offshoots of the Metroidvania genre(and Zelda as well) so there's a decent amount of overlap.

I'm getting the feeling that some people are desperate for another Dark Souls despite the fact FROM has made 5 of them at this point and there's a slew of other games trying to be the next Dark Souls. Which is probably behind the bizarre insistence that "Bloodborne 2: CONFIRMED!" I keep seeing in gaming news, despite the fact FROM has insisted they're done with it for the foreseeable future.

MattH

Dec 30, 2016
Somebody should make a Souls-like with good controls and precision, just a super-hard fighting game, rather than a pattern-recognition, learn collision-boxes, roll-around survival game.

Benn Benn

May 11, 2016
lololol best review in ages. laughed so hard and so many great takeaways - tropic of fuckabout. this gets my vote for game of the year purely because it woke Yahtz up from his happy gaming stupor and brought him back to us, full rage and all. now he just needs to speak faster too - me thinks he is slowing down with age. GREAT REVIEW. A+

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Dalisclock said:
Apothecary2 said:
Dalisclock said:
Fair enough. It's just that Souls-like gets thrown around so often nowadays that it's getting hard to tell. I realize that the souls games are offshoots of the Metroidvania genre(and Zelda as well) so there's a decent amount of overlap.

I'm getting the feeling that some people are desperate for another Dark Souls despite the fact FROM has made 5 of them at this point and there's a slew of other games trying to be the next Dark Souls. Which is probably behind the bizarre insistence that "Bloodborne 2: CONFIRMED!" I keep seeing in gaming news, despite the fact FROM has insisted they're done with it for the foreseeable future.
You'd probably have to boil "Souls like" down to something resembling an actual definition instead of a buzzword for fan boys.

The level design (doesn't show up in Demons Souls) and was Metroidvania (also Zelda, to a certain degree, which people equally ignore) fist anyways. Stamina bars pop up in so many various games its not even a potential definition point.

You're prettymuch left with the soul/xp recovery mechanic and checkpoints respawning enemies (which also isn't terribly uncommon).

Hollow Knight does do the soul recovery thing, though it has no level system, or humanity/embering, so I don't think it really matters too much, especially midwayish through when you have more currency then you can ever use. Thats really about all it does share, outside of some general similarities in themes in the story. As a melee platformer thing its alright. Some later bits get a bit obnoxious with the platforming, and a decent number of skills seem to fall into the useless category (almost everything that requires charge up times).

Bryan Hinson

Mar 18, 2013
I had a different negative experience with the third boss. I killed it on the first try and got a V2 weapon that was no use to me because of my weapon proficiency. The single rigged weapons are the only ones that can block and counter enemy attacks without opening yourself up to being hit by their follow up attacks. That is, until NG+ where even the trashiest of trash enemies will stagger you.

What caused me to delete the game from the system though was the final boss battle. The camera would focus on the center of mass instead of on the limb you targeted making the pushing up+attack slide/jump attack not activating. This resulted in somewhere between 100-130 missed attacks (yes i counted) due to the jump or slide not triggering.

The story does speed up after the second and fourth boss battles but... that's far too late. It is extremely dull and unmemorable.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Dalisclock said:
It has a Souls-y death system but that's pretty much it. The general atmosphere is kiiinda Soulsy but it has a lot more humour and is a fairly cute in places. It also has tons more music than Souls which obviously changes the feel a lot. It's not an RPG, either, more of a standard metroidvania.

Although it's really fantastic. Highly recommended.

Jburton9

Aug 21, 2012
Great commentary video post thank you! Take my picture "smack my glitch up" good one : ) It is 2017 yet devs still cant be bothered to have error detection with clipped terrain geometry. In games like this a role back to a quick save would be good as it preserves the players sense of hard but fair game play.

Getting a victory taken away from you due to a developer technical failure I would think cause potential customers to pass on the game.