Zero Punctuation: Top 5 of 2010

matt87_50

Apr 3, 2009
"not much of a year" indeed. I seem to remember you not giving those top two games particularly favorable reviews (even by your standards)

its good though. because I glanced at both of these games and went "wow! that could be fun!... though they could always find a way to make it not fun..." so now I will have to give them a go!

Rubymuto

Jan 12, 2010
I'm more amused that a bottle of Baileys Irish Cream was reccuring theme. No surprise for Limbo, Amnesia and Dead Rising 2. I wouldn't mind seeing a best games of a century or something where as games are reviewed as far back as pong and lazer shooters, showing how much gaming has changed and how much better some of the older ones really are.

Ellen of Kitten

Nov 30, 2010
deserteagleeye said:
I only saw a lets play of Amnesia through 1/4 of the game and it was pretty scary, but I was kind of disappointed that *SPOILER* the dog that he was running from could be killed so easily. That ruined my image of the rest of the game. Is it really that good?
It sounds as though you watched a Lets-Play of Frictionals' other game (that uses the same engine as Amnesia) "Penumbra." Amnesia didn't have any dog-enemies, let alone killing of an enemy. Litterally, there is no fighting. If you DO get into a fight, it's dramatically and gruesomely stacked against you. Like an abusive Nanny-Freddy-Kruger.

Amnesia is like an Adventure game from the Zork era of gaming, but with atmosphere. Maybe it'd be more reconiseable to reference Myst? Anyway, it's the kind of game where you find items, like a bucket, to use on a pool of water which fills it. Then you use bucket on lit fireplace to put out the fire to retrieve the iron key sitting in the coals (which you knew was there cause someone wrote a note about it earlier) which opens a door to the next area. That puzzle itself never actually happens, but there are many like it.

It's a great game. Don't let a video of its predecessor game Penumbra fool you. It is the single scariest game I have ever played, and I like to think of myself as a great big fangirl of the survival horror genre (before someone jacked it full of Action-Juice).

Ellen of Kitten

Nov 30, 2010
VampiresDontSparkle said:
Hilarious, but... what about Brotherhood? It should have been 5th best game at least! Ah well, can't have everything, I suppose.
Brotherhood probably wouldn't have beat out Assassins Creed 2. At least, not by Yahtzees standards. I'll tell you why; I've noticed Yahtzee has a thing against sequels that don't bring much to the table. The advance of AssCreed from 1 to 2 was amazing! Like the devs really took notes from the players. Not only that, they made a gripping story that matched and rivals the original. If anything, AC2 deserves the stand, not Brotherhood. Brotherhood, as a sequel did considerably less than AC2, but uses the same engine. If anything, it deserves the Riding-Coat-tails award.

Personally, I'm surprised AC2 isn't on the list. When I was finished with AC2, I wanted MORE! I got 100% on the game, so there was litterally nothing else to be done. Brotherhood was the next best step.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
teh_Canape said:
I must be the only one who actually likes Bioshock 2
Nah, I liked it too, mainly because of the story and my 11 year old Sis loved Bioshock 2 to death....Hell I was so proud of her when she realized what a piece of crap Final Fantasy XIII was in which she responded "This isn't final fantasy" She made me tear up and feel like a real big brother for giving her an actual taste in gaming. :')

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
NoCure said:
I normally don't agree with Top # lists through and through, this one is pretty close though.

I just which Halo Reach would have been Bottom 1.
/I keed
I was hoping Black Ops would be Bottom 1....but then I played the Zombie section and my faith was somewhat restored.

Nothing says redemption like playing as JFK, Fidel Castro, and Richard Nixon while shooting Zombies.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Srdjan Tanaskovic said:
Lordpils said:
Srdjan Tanaskovic said:
Lordpils said:
Srdjan Tanaskovic said:
Well I didn't except Yahtzee to hate Other M that much
That game pissed me off so royally that when he mentioned it I went into a rant to everyone nearby about how fucking offensive that game was and how much I think Team Ninja should just fucking stay away from game franchises with female protagonists. Other M is one of the very few games that I call outright sexist I hate Team Ninja for Other M.
If I don't control myself I'll make a 3000 word essay right here about my hatred towards this game so I'm gonna stop there.
Team Ninja didn't have anything to do with the story. And Just what makes it sexist? that Samus takes order from a man? by that logic the army is full of racist people
Fair enough Team ninja had nothing to do with the story, but you wanna know what makes it sexist? How about Samus going from silent protagonist who is effectively just an asskicker to a whining emotional wreck who won't do a fucking thing until she's told it's okay. A submissive character who won't shut the fuck up and who cracks under pressure at the first sign of conflict they not only retconned Samus they retconned her into something she is the exact opposite of. Other M's story was melodramatic bullshit Metroid prime 3: Corruption had an emotional moment at the end that put every line of dialog in Other M to shame. God dammit I want to stop talking about that piece of shit!
I could go on and say tha tyou are wrong. But I will not
Actually he's correct on every aspect. At what point in any Metroid game did you see Samus unable to handle a mission? NONE! But here they decide to throw all that bravery out the window, despite the fact that this takes place after Metroid Prime 1 in which she took on Pirates, Chozo Ghosts, Giant Plants and Rocks, Genetically enhanced pirates, Metroids, Ridley (The Monster that killed her Family) and even the Ultimate Metroid. All without having to monolouge a single flippin' thing or becoming emotionally distraught and needing the comforting voice of her bastardized boyfriend to tell her it's ok.

Basically Other M, turned Samus from a Badass into a little girl. SCREW YOU TEAM NINJA!!

Communist partisan

Jan 24, 2009
alex8039 said:
Review
Julian Daniel said:
I don't get why People like Amnesia. I couldn't find anything scary about it. It's just boring.
It's not overtly scary. Most of the scariness comes from your own mind, that requires a certain level of intelligence.
It does.

OP: Nice video, never played any of those games exept halo reach that you named, not a big fan of modern games but it would be fitting if CoD BO were between the shitty games.

Crazy_Dude

Nov 3, 2010
The lists is nice and all. But it baffles me how Just Cause 2 and Dead Rising 2 can be in the top 2. And yet Mass Effect 2 is nowhere to be seen. He didnt even mention it in the video.

Honeyfish

Mar 21, 2010
I'm sure opinions about the quality of Bioshock 2 differ greatly, but what I don't understand is why Yahtzee is so adamant that the first game didn't need a sequel. The developers have gone through the trouble to build this rich, fascinating world full of hundreds of potentially interesting characters, and he just wants to walk away from it? It'd be like baking a delicious cake and eating only a single slice.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
shimyia said:
lacktheknack said:
shimyia said:
i haven't played: bioshock nor B2 so i dunno
ff13 still dunno
RDR, SW:TFU ... dunno
never heard of Metroid
limbo ... dunno
JC2 dunno
Dead Rising 2 love it :D
halo dunno

p.s. oh c'mon yahtzee where's Assassin's Creed:Brotherhood ????
That's a bit rich coming from someone who played only one game on his list.
well sorry that i don't have a super PC or a Cosole
Well OK, it's not as if everyone can be super-well-informed on games, I myself haven't played any on either of his lis-WAIT. Wait, you've never even heard of Metroid?? As in, you haven't heard of the entire series before? Or do you just mean Other M?

EDIT: Also, to everyone in this thread:

Yahtzee on Twitter said:
The music in ZP this week is 'Music for the Funeral of Queen Mary' by Purcell. It is not 'the Clockwork Orange music'

michiehoward

Apr 18, 2010
Anyway, watch Just Cause 2's sales go way up now. I'm still not going to buy it because it looks freaking boring. I'm sick of sandbox crime games.

qft: Yeah I am getting real sick of sandbox games, they are either getting so large its on the side of ridiculous, and you get lost in the "too much to do", or so its small and curtailed with no freedom.....its called happy media game makers