Zero Punctuation: Top 5 of 2010

SamElliot'sMustache

Oct 5, 2009
D_987 said:
LackingSaint said:
I'd say that stopping halfway is really really bad for a critic since they're essentially supposed to dissect and review the ENTIRE product, and there are plenty of great games with bad openings. But then Yahtzee has always been a satirist and not a critic so.
That's an argument I see time and again and I'm not seeing it. If a game is still boring, after the supposed 5 hours he played it, critic or not, there's more than needed justification not to continue playing. If, in the first 5 hours, a game is poor - then it's a poor game overall, however you put it - and FFXIII doesn't change until the 30th hour and even then it goes straight back to the same style of gameplay shortly after introducing a single open space.
Agreed. While there's something to be said for finishing watching a movie/playing a game/reading a book, if you found the beginning of these things so appalling that you can't even bother to finish it, that doesn't exclude you from giving an opinion about it.

EDIT: I played Final Fantasy XIII about a few hours longer than Yahtzee did, being more of a Final Fantasy fan, and still gave up on that game. It was dull, lifeless drivel with characters we never even get to know until about two hours in (and I ended up not wanting to know once they got around to that), that required no thought beyond pushing the stick forward, and then pressing x when you got to fight something. It's the first game in the series that I despised.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
SamElliot said:
D_987 said:
LackingSaint said:
I'd say that stopping halfway is really really bad for a critic since they're essentially supposed to dissect and review the ENTIRE product, and there are plenty of great games with bad openings. But then Yahtzee has always been a satirist and not a critic so.
That's an argument I see time and again and I'm not seeing it. If a game is still boring, after the supposed 5 hours he played it, critic or not, there's more than needed justification not to continue playing. If, in the first 5 hours, a game is poor - then it's a poor game overall, however you put it - and FFXIII doesn't change until the 30th hour and even then it goes straight back to the same style of gameplay shortly after introducing a single open space.
Agreed. While there's something to be said for finishing watching a movie/playing a game/reading a book, if you found the beginning of these things so appalling that you can't even bother to finish it, that doesn't exclude you from giving an opinion about it.

EDIT: I played Final Fantasy XIII about a few hours longer than Yahtzee did, being more of a Final Fantasy fan, and still gave up on that game. It was dull, lifeless drivel with characters we never even get to know until about two hours in (and I ended up not wanting to know once they got around to that), that required no thought beyond pushing the stick forward, and then pressing x when you got to fight something. It's the first game in the series that I despised.
I've played it for about 43 hours and I still agree with Yahtzee about everything, I just happened to have a pretty good time playing it and found the combat fun despite the games flaws.

RobPsyence

Oct 2, 2010
Trogdor1138 said:
D_987 said:
RobPsyence said:
No what I find idiotic, is that I made a stand alone post and you come along to pick at my opinion.
You're on a forum. There's a quote button for a reason - you don't like? Don't post, or at least don't make stupid posts that are easy to pick apart.

Not only this, but you also don't even like the subject that my opinion is about.
Ok, how am I going to explain this to you? I'll try again...
The whole point of my initial post was that your point was stupid regardless of the franchise. Your point is not exclusive to the Metroid franchise, it's just a stupid point whatever the case and that's the reason I quoted you.

Also, you ***** about my grammar and writing, when there are posters with a hundred times worse grammar, spelling, and writing that you can complain about.
Worse than your original post? Not that I can think of.

I didn't ask for anyone's input.
I forgot that was how it works here. I have to ask you before I quote you... -_-
Just wanted to pop in and say, this has been a hilarious back and forth. Also the original Metroid wasn't on the SNES, so his argument is even more flawed than he realizes :p

People shouldn't post on forums if they can't handle somebody having a difference of opinion.
First of all, I wasn't talking about the first ones, jackass, I was mostly talking about Super Metroid; you know..the one that Other M takes place after. Metroid Fusion is on the GBA, which still has same control setup.

Secondly, it's not about me handling it or not. It's the fact that he's acting like a troll.

PS: Anyone that says there aren't worse posts than mine are full of shit. It's not like I was going "omg othr m iz so awsm yahtzee dat wuznt fair dere ain't nothin wrng at all man" did I? No I didn't. Also my MAIN POINT is that there are other things that are worse about the game than the gameplay.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
RobPsyence said:
Trogdor1138 said:
D_987 said:
RobPsyence said:
No what I find idiotic, is that I made a stand alone post and you come along to pick at my opinion.
You're on a forum. There's a quote button for a reason - you don't like? Don't post, or at least don't make stupid posts that are easy to pick apart.

Not only this, but you also don't even like the subject that my opinion is about.
Ok, how am I going to explain this to you? I'll try again...
The whole point of my initial post was that your point was stupid regardless of the franchise. Your point is not exclusive to the Metroid franchise, it's just a stupid point whatever the case and that's the reason I quoted you.

Also, you ***** about my grammar and writing, when there are posters with a hundred times worse grammar, spelling, and writing that you can complain about.
Worse than your original post? Not that I can think of.

I didn't ask for anyone's input.
I forgot that was how it works here. I have to ask you before I quote you... -_-
Just wanted to pop in and say, this has been a hilarious back and forth. Also the original Metroid wasn't on the SNES, so his argument is even more flawed than he realizes :p

People shouldn't post on forums if they can't handle somebody having a difference of opinion.
First of all, I wasn't talking about the first ones, jackass, I was mostly talking about Super Metroid; you know..the one that Other M takes place after. Metroid Fusion is on the GBA, which still has same control setup.

Secondly, it's not about me handling it or not. It's the fact that he's acting like a troll.

PS: Anyone that says there aren't worse posts than mine are full of shit. It's not like I was going "omg othr m iz so awsm yahtzee dat wuznt fair dere ain't nothin wrng at all man" did I? No I didn't. Also my MAIN POINT is that there are other things that are worse about the game than the gameplay.
Oh okay, you said first game so I figured you were talking about Metroid. Don't call me a jackass just because you can't phrase things properly...

I actually like the original Metroid games but I'm yet to try out Other M, I'm looking forward to the gameplay aspects to see how they handle the more throwback approach, but can't say I'm fond about what people have told me about the story.

Mkvenner

Jun 12, 2010
I wasn't expecting Just Cause 2 to be his number 1 at all.
o_O

but still, Ive played 2 games from the top 5 and i haven't played any games from the the bottom 5. I think I'm on the right track.

Rex Fallout

Oct 5, 2010
This is what I was thinking! I love yahtzee, but he just like most other people I know seem to be hating on it. Bioshock 2 was definately not as good as Bioshock 1 but it was still a great game and a remarkable experience in Rapture.

It's a shame that so many people were ticked off because the game took place in Rapture again, and so now Irrational's taking it to some god aweful place in the sky. Rapture is Bioshock, and some people need to get used to it because the second Bioshock leaves Rapture Sh-s gonna hit the fan.

RobPsyence

Oct 2, 2010
Trogdor1138 said:
Oh okay, you said first game so I figured you were talking about Metroid. Don't call me a jackass just because you can't phrase things properly...

I actually like the original Metroid games but I'm yet to try out Other M, I'm looking forward to the gameplay aspects to see how they handle the more throwback approach, but can't say I'm fond about what people have told me about the story.
Okay, I'm sorry for calling you a jackass. The only part of the story I didn't like was that she was scared of ridley because he attacked her when she was a child. Other than that, it basically picks up from the end of Super Metroid and then explains what happened to Adam, running into Metroid Fusion's story (in Fusion, the computer Samus interacts with).

I dont mind that Samus talks in Other M, I just wish they had picked a better voice actress lol.

mikepyro

Sep 17, 2010
The problem with Yahtzee is even when he's serious I still think he's joking.

Bioshock 2 and FF13 worse than Dark Void, Dead to Rights, Tron Legacy, Splatterhouse, Majin? he reviewed five games himself that were far worse than most of his bottom 5 games.

The problem is Yahtzee takes everything too seriously, as in, bioshock 2 being an affront to his love of Bioshock 1, and hating the idea of it more than whether or not it was well exectuted (which it wasn't, not even close, but it certainly wasn't a bad game)
which is probably why he'll ***** about Portal 2 even if it kicks ass (he'll come up with a lame excuse like calling it racist ala Uncharted 2).

It's fun to watch him hate bad and mediocre games, or picking apart genuine problems with games, but lately he reaches more than I'd hoped.

still, love the show and the guy.

mikepyro

Sep 17, 2010
Rex, guess you haven't heard about Bioshock 3 (bioshock infinite) which takes place in a floating city. The 10 min gameplay released makes bioshock 2 look like a steaming pile of shit. Hell, I'd hesitate to say the atmosphere is just as good if not better than 1 (which is one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE games) And it's from Ken Lavine, the real mind behind rapture.

Ih8pkmn

Apr 20, 2010
I would try out Dead Rising and Dead Rising 2 if it weren't for one thing:

I made the horrible, horrible mistake of renting the wii version of Dead Rising. I hate that franchise now.

That, and:
TIME LIMITS. I don't like time limits, unless it's an escape scenario or something.

thenameisadam

Jan 11, 2011
This week, Zero Punctuation's Yahtzee lists his top 5 best and worst games of 2010 according to what people don't expect him to do.

shimyia

Oct 1, 2010
OhJohnNo said:
shimyia said:
lacktheknack said:
shimyia said:
i haven't played: bioshock nor B2 so i dunno
ff13 still dunno
RDR, SW:TFU ... dunno
never heard of Metroid
limbo ... dunno
JC2 dunno
Dead Rising 2 love it :D
halo dunno

p.s. oh c'mon yahtzee where's Assassin's Creed:Brotherhood ????
That's a bit rich coming from someone who played only one game on his list.
well sorry that i don't have a super PC or a Cosole
Well OK, it's not as if everyone can be super-well-informed on games, I myself haven't played any on either of his lis-WAIT. Wait, you've never even heard of Metroid?? As in, you haven't heard of the entire series before? Or do you just mean Other M?

EDIT: Also, to everyone in this thread:

Yahtzee on Twitter said:
The music in ZP this week is 'Music for the Funeral of Queen Mary' by Purcell. It is not 'the Clockwork Orange music'

nope never heard of it...

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
shimyia said:
Huh. Metroid is one of Nintendo's most very classic series', one of its most recognised, and one of its most loved. And it was, until Other M, generally regarded to be un-ruined. For a classic series nowadays, that's quite rare.

I myself have only Metroid Fusion, a GBA title. It's among my favourite games.

shimyia

Oct 1, 2010
OhJohnNo said:
shimyia said:
Huh. Metroid is one of Nintendo's most very classic series', one of its most recognised, and one of its most loved. And it was, until Other M, generally regarded to be un-ruined. For a classic series nowadays, that's quite rare.

I myself have only Metroid Fusion, a GBA title. It's among my favourite games.

well im from a shity country and nor nintento nor other consoles sell here. you cant even buy video games which aren't pirate-made...
its hard to be a gamer here :(
my only option is to download cracked games for PC :((((

Quorothorn

Apr 9, 2010
It amuses me how excited I was as he built up to #1 best and worst there at the end. I was literally clapping my hands together in anticipation.

Sabre_of_Pain

Feb 19, 2009
that background music was really annoying and distracting

i'm rather shocked FFXIII was only #3, i would have thought it would be at least #2 i am never going to buy another final fantasy game ever, FFX was an incredible game, but since then its been going downhill so fast it might as well have fallen off a cliff, i dont even want to know what the next game is gonna be like.

Anchupom

In it for the Pub Club cookies
Apr 15, 2009
Antonio Torrente said:
Anchupom said:
Antonio Torrente said:
Maybe he will review it this year.
I hope so.
Will he bash it or praise it? He did liked Limbo though.
In a way, I don't care if he doesn't like it. It would make one hell of an episode, I think. And plus, the humour is right up his street.