Zero Punctuation: Top 5 of 2017

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Igor-Rowan said:
I don't know, I had a friend who followed Destiny from day 1 and he told me it would be like this when I saw The Taken King get a physical release.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/bungie-activision-lock-down-10-year-exclusivity/1100-6260577/

This isn't the best source, but to quote, "an exclusive 10-year partnership to bring Bungie's next big action game universe to market." The deal will give Activision exclusive international publishing rights to all future Bungie games based on an unnamed new property through 2020. The contract that was signed refers to "games" and the IP as a whole, not one single game.

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
I personally found Trails of Cold Steel 3 more enjoyable than Persona 5, which was still a good game, one of the best 2016 games for me.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Well Yatzhee there is that Resident Evil 2 remake on the horizon.

And I dread if its not Fixed Camara angled like the older games.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
The Ajit Pai reference had me rolling on the floor. Good list overall. And no, I'm not upset that BoTW came in at #4, because I'm pretty sure this is the only time a Nintendo game has cracked Yahtzee's top 5.

Personally though, Mario Odyssey was my GOTY, so while it's not on the list, I'm glad it (sort of?) got an honorable mention.

CodeAz

Jan 4, 2018
Really nice to see Persona 5 a JRPG on Yahtzee's list.
I definitely did not see it coming.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
I feel sorry for the Mario Odyssey fans- they got teased to hell and back in the thumbnail and vid itself!

TZO2K12

Mar 31, 2012
Great video, I'm glad I didn't waste any money on the surge during the winter steam sale!

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
Local Zelda fan says:
I'm fine with 4th. Everything above it was unique and different, and a strong case was made for each entry. As long as neither [the apparently-up-its-own-ass-too-far-to-waste-time-delivering-a-fun-gaming-experience] Nier nor [the-visual-and-technical-upgrade-to-what-every-open-world-game-already-was] Zero Dawn: Horizon got those top spots, something which when they did on other sites, the person putting it there gave what felt like a weak argument. Yahtzee's explanations? Fine.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Given his endorsement, I'll definitely give RE7 a shot when I can get it for a bargain.

Always a pleasure to view Yahtzee's end of year reviews.

I do think last year better than this year for games. I'll have to rewatch whatever he put out then.