Zero Punctuation: Until Dawn

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
I'm such a huge fan of these genres of games, and it's nice to see a game that does the "your choices matter" done well once again, instead of the disappointing games that pretends to have choices that matter *coughTheWalkingDeadcough*. The fact that it's horror themed too is the cherry on top.

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
OuendanCyrus said:
I'm such a huge fan of these genres of games, and it's nice to see a game that does the "your choices matter" done well once again, instead of the disappointing games that pretends to have choices that matter *coughTheWalkingDeadcough*. The fact that it's horror themed too is the cherry on top.
Wasn't Yahtzee's final point that it handles "your choices matter" poorly?

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
As the kind of freak that really enjoyed Heavy Rain *and* QTEs in general, I'm looking forward to the day I have enough money to grab this and save the cheerleader to save the world mountain holiday resort.

Error418

Feb 17, 2015
Nice underbar, Escapist. Now all you gotta do is add an option for me to keep Random enabled by default at the end of the video and I can switch from YouTube to you. =)

On a main note, wasn't this week Yahtzee's break? This review is welcome, but I was not expecting any, really.

phogue

Mar 27, 2015
I've always preferred Jason X because I was 11 when I saw it and even then the sleeping bag scene made it worth watching the whole movie for. Also I haven't watched the movie in whole, so take that opinion for what it's worth.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Might actually buy this game when the price has dropped down.
Atleast it is better than what David Cage comes up with.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
So Mario maker definitely isn't happening then?

I like how he says David cage. It gets old less fast then ''emotions'' in a French accent.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Of course it's "character choice" without much choice, what else would you expect from recent AAA "branching paths" attempt.

On to a more positive note:
"Knowing that one day, Yahtzee may review Undertale...
It fills you with determination."

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
The game's a pretty clever take on slasher films, probably why it was so engaging despite being cliched. Also, no comment on hammy Peter Stormare, Yahtzee?

He's right about the butterfly effect stuff being all talk though. Basically nobody can die up until the last third with the exception of
Matt, if you attack the deer.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Always nice to see a positive review, especially a surprise one.

Michael Prymula said:
Given Yahtzee's contempt for Nintendo over the past few years, I would be very surprised if he actually did review Mario Maker, to me the whole idea seems like a waste of money when you can basically do the same thing with ROM hacking(no doubt that's why Nintendo is aggressively copyright claiming ROM hack videos on Youtube).
Yahtzee's had nothing but praise for quite a few of their games, I think his ennui with Nintendo has been grossly overplayed. He's been equally dismissive of the PS4 and the Xbone whenever he had to be.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Kingjackl said:
He's right about the butterfly effect stuff being all talk though. Basically nobody can die up until the last third with the exception of
Matt, if you attack the deer.
It stacks though. Not every butterfly effect will have a different outcome, but as they pile up you can get disastrous results. Particularly in regards to Matt and Emily. And with Chris and Ashley...

...if you choose to sacrifice Ashley both times, she'll apparently lock you out when Chris is running away from the wendigo a.k.a Handigo, which results in his head getting ripped off.

You also forgot...

...Jessica. She gets the earliest optional death, if you're too slow with Mike. It's weird though how both her and Matt get cut from the game right up until the end if they survive their initial brush with death. Like the writers didn't really know what to do with them after the shit hit the fan.

MoltenSilver

Feb 21, 2013
I will never understand where this 'Yahtzee hates Nintendo especially" idea comes from given he in the A Link Between Worlds review word for word said:
"I find myself in a strange position of being unreservedly on your side, Nintendo. And why? Because you released a game console, not an inferior gaming PC."

More on topic with the video, I always thought a game where you get to play as the slasher-character and mow your way through twats who desperately deserve a machete to the skull would be great fun. Double the points if its done in the style of Evil Genius and made a parody of the genre at the same time.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Marik Bentusi said:
Wasn't Yahtzee's final point that it handles "your choices matter" poorly?
Yes, but he was pretty much wrong about that on two levels. Firstly, the main point of the example he chose was that it was one of the few times your choice actually didn't seem to matter, and that was supposed to be a surprise precisely because it ususally did. And secondly, the twist is that the choice actually does matter, it's just that many of your choices don't have an immediate effect but rather do something else down the line - support one person over another early on, and the person you snubbed might not help you later on.
In the example Yahtzee gave, if you choose to kill Josh, Ashley likes Sam for saving her and they can end up as a couple if they survive. If you choose to kill Ashley, she still doesn't die there but not only do her and Sam not end up as a couple, she hates him so much that later on she refuses to open a door for him and he dies.
That's the whole point of the game constantly going on about butterfly effects and how your choices matter. For all his complaints about how annoying that was, it seems Yahtzee could have down with a few more reminders.
The same thing goes for his claim that the character's attributes are pointless:
One of the gimmicks of the game is that you don't play as a specific character, you play as them all at different times. The trick is that you can't just play them all how you want to play, in order to get the "good" outcomes you have to play them according to their attributes and pay attention to their relationships. If you piss off someone you get stuck with, they might not help you. If your character is not brave, you'll probably die if you try to fight instead of hiding, no matter how good you are at QTEs.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I don't get why this game was such a big deal. I mean it was basically PewDiePie and Markiplier bait, but even they seemed woefully uninterested in it. I mean they went through the motions, sure. But it just felt weak...

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Hades said:
So Mario maker definitely isn't happening then?

I like how he says David cage. It gets old less fast then ''emotions'' in a French accent.
I never heard Yahtzee try to say "EH-MOH-SHUNS!" the way Jim Sterling did, but I'd like to hear that.
But I watched the Honest Trailer for this game last week, and it looked like it's barely even a game; more of an interactive movie, so it's not really my bag. And I don't know why, but I like my games violent, but the death animations in Until Dawn looked too grisly and cringe-inducing to be entertaining at all.