Zero Punctuation: Vampyr

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
"Now, that *sounds* interesting, doesn't it?"
And there's the giveaway that they fuck it up somehow, because yes, that sounds very interesting.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I liked the emphasized icon of Remember Me. I didn't like you disparaging VtmB's combat.
"Magick" is fine. Especially when followed by "Obscura". And preceded by "Arcanum of Steamworks and"

"Skal" means shell in Swedish. However, "Sk?l" means cheers.
Further more, "Skall" means either bark, or shall.
Skalll doesn't exist. Don't be silly. ^^
"Ska" does exist. It means..ehm..wow. That was harder to translate than I thought.
It's primarily used to indicate that something should be done.
But used in a sentence with other words meaning Do, and What.
Ska is also a musical style, right?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Is using the term "ghoul" to mean someone that's drunk vampire blood a thing that exists much beyond VTM? I thought they came up with that and it didn't really take off otherwise.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Apparently the game goes on for another hour after you beat the final boss, mostly doing nothing other then a meandering playable epilogue.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
Vendor-Lazarus said:
I liked the emphasized icon of Remember Me. I didn't like you disparaging VtmB's combat.
"Magick" is fine. Especially when followed by "Obscura". And preceded by "Arcanum of Steamworks and"

"Ska" does exist. It means..ehm..wow. That was harder to translate than I thought.
Ska is also the name of a fantasy people in Brandon Sanderson's mistborn trilogy but they are nothing like ghouls. As for the swedish translation, I'm not sure if that's true or not, maybe an older version, but swedes, norwegians and danes usually say 'hellvete' when referring to hell. The moral of the story is, don't let french people name things kids

C117

Aug 14, 2009
Well, "vampyr" IS how you spell it in swedish, so there's that, I guess...

Sounds to me like the game could have been rather a bit more harrowing as an existential drama if you could only get EXP through drinking blood. Although this might make it a bit too hard if you just suck everyone dry in the first few hours for an early boost...

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Thaluikhain said:
Is using the term "ghoul" to mean someone that's drunk vampire blood a thing that exists much beyond VTM? I thought they came up with that and it didn't really take off otherwise.
I think it's just a generic "supernatural monster" moniker. Zombies are called ghouls in Night of the Living Dead.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
CyanCat47 said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:

Ska is also the name of a fantasy people in Brandon Sanderson's mistborn trilogy but they are nothing like ghouls. As for the swedish translation, I'm not sure if that's true or not, maybe an older version, but swedes, norwegians and danes usually say 'hellvete' when referring to hell. The moral of the story is, don't let french people name things kids
Those alternate names for vampire and ghoul helped me realize something:
The alien races from DOCTOR WHO have very silly names.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I literally paused the video to check up what vampire was called in French. Ten second later I discovered that had I been patient Yahtzee would've done me the honours.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
CyanCat47 said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:

I've looked at those books several times, but I've always hesitated. My first inclination is for Sci-Fi.
Or comedic fantasy like Terry Pratchett. Though I did find Dwarves by Markus Heitz good. and Robert Jordans Wheel of Time was interesting enough.
I'll give it another chance next time around.

I said shell, not hell ,) (Skal, inte helvete..one L).
If that's not what you meant, I'm going to have to ask you to clarify.
I could have said Skald too. ^^

C117 said:
Well, "vampyr" IS how you spell it in swedish, so there's that, I guess...
How did I miss that? Seriously..

Necris Omega

Jul 27, 2011
So an interesting concept with flaws... Sounds like a prime candidate for a Larian styled De-buggering edition.

FruitBird

Jan 20, 2015
I'm noticing there's been more laugh-out-loud moments in his reviews lately. Over the years I'd noticed he seemed to be, if not phoning it in, just a bit lacking in his A game. His vids were amusing, but nothing actually hilarious for some time. Glad to see he's got a bit more of a spark back these days. Can't wait for next week!

thenewguy512739

Feb 14, 2017
darkrage6 said:
Yahtzee mentioning Life is Strange makes me wonder why he hasn't reviewed it already.
Oh, but he did, and his explanation can be summarised in two words: chaka-bruh.
Seriously, though. Does anyone actually speak like that?

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
thenewguy512739 said:
darkrage6 said:
Yahtzee mentioning Life is Strange makes me wonder why he hasn't reviewed it already.
Did he review it on Extra Punctuation?

I've heard people say some pretty stupid stuff online so I can't rule it completely, but French devs do have an amusing perspective on what they think life in the U.S. is like(see also, Heavy Rain having rooms with only a shower and no toilet, which is common in Europe but not at all a thing in the U.S. erally).

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
FruitBird said:
I'm noticing there's been more laugh-out-loud moments in his reviews lately. Over the years I'd noticed he seemed to be, if not phoning it in, just a bit lacking in his A game. His vids were amusing, but nothing actually hilarious for some time. Glad to see he's got a bit more of a spark back these days. Can't wait for next week!
Yes I hope he does State of Decay 2.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
darkrage6 said:
thenewguy512739 said:
darkrage6 said:
Did he review it on Extra Punctuation?

I've heard people say some pretty stupid stuff online so I can't rule it completely, but French devs do have an amusing perspective on what they think life in the U.S. is like(see also, Heavy Rain having rooms with only a shower and no toilet, which is common in Europe but not at all a thing in the U.S. erally).
He briefly touched on it in the Resident Evil Revelations 2 review

A cliffhanger's all very well, but if you're still hanging there six months down the line, going "Whoooo, probably gonna fall any moment now", it's kinda hard to sustain the enthusiasm. I mean I played the first episode of Life is Strange, and I'd like at least a rough idea of when the next one's coming, so I can do enough research to figure out what the fuck language everyone's supposed to be talking.
-per his

They hella talk weird yo