Zero Punctuation: Vampyr

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Gauche said:
darkrage6 said:
thenewguy512739 said:
darkrage6 said:
Yahtzee mentioning Life is Strange makes me wonder why he hasn't reviewed it already.
Oh, but he did, and his explanation can be summarised in two words: chaka-bruh.
Seriously, though. Does anyone actually speak like that?
Did he review it on Extra Punctuation?

I've heard people say some pretty stupid stuff online so I can't rule it completely, but French devs do have an amusing perspective on what they think life in the U.S. is like(see also, Heavy Rain having rooms with only a shower and no toilet, which is common in Europe but not at all a thing in the U.S. erally).
He briefly touched on it in the Resident Evil Revelations 2 review

A cliffhanger's all very well, but if you're still hanging there six months down the line, going "Whoooo, probably gonna fall any moment now", it's kinda hard to sustain the enthusiasm. I mean I played the first episode of Life is Strange, and I'd like at least a rough idea of when the next one's coming, so I can do enough research to figure out what the fuck language everyone's supposed to be talking.
-per his

They hella talk weird yo
Ah, I didn't have that problem with Life is Strange because I waited til the full thing was out before I played it, that's what I do with all episodic games, cause there's really zero benefit to playing them as they come out. After Jim Sterling mentioned playing games like RE Revelations 2 and Life is Strange episodically made him lose interest in them, I resolved to wait for the full series to be out before diving in, that way I wouldn't get blue balls waiting for the next episode(same with Hitman).

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
Guess "instinct being to always shoot for best ending" means not carrying on past fake-out credits, ey?

darkrage6 said:
Yahtzee mentioning Life is Strange makes me wonder why he hasn't reviewed it already.
I feel like it wouldn't mesh very well with his review style. It's kinda hard to make 5 minutes of fast-paced snarky comedy out of "has a ton of potential but delivers on almost none of it in favor of cronying behind a stupid, insufferable jackass for 70% of the game followed by an entirely arbitrary climax and a reset button."

Oct 22, 2011
Wait a minute, they're called "Ekons"?
Ekons... it's just "Snoke" backwards!
Oh my gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahd!

Vendor-Lazarus said:
I didn't like you disparaging VtmB's combat.
There's nothing special about VtmB combat, though. That's not what the game is remembered for.

Aug 31, 2011
"..Lestat driven one." Oh Yahtzee, you're showing your age. I don't think the young people will know what you're referring to. XD

On a slightly related note, Rice's books got really weird before she went super religious. Like, they were always a little weird, but damn. The Taltos trilogy made me regret only having access to a small library when I read it in my teens.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
ToastyMozart said:
Guess "instinct being to always shoot for best ending" means not carrying on past fake-out credits, ey?

darkrage6 said:
I feel like it wouldn't mesh very well with his review style. It's kinda hard to make 5 minutes of fast-paced snarky comedy out of "has a ton of potential but delivers on almost none of it in favor of cronying behind a stupid, insufferable jackass for 70% of the game followed by an entirely arbitrary climax and a reset button."
I imagine the LiS review would go something like this:

"It's like Night in the Woods, but not nearly as good, relys on a gimmick which operates on rules never clearly defined and with an ending "choice" where only one of the endings feel like the real one. Also, it's not particularly clever to have a line going 'Final Fantasy the Spirits Within is the best movie ever' when the game is published by SquareEnix, but rather feels like sucking off your publisher".

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
ToastyMozart said:
I'm pretty sure that Yahtzee would work well with that, after all that's like half the games he's reviewed.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Blood Brain Barrier said:
darkrage6 said:
That would require him to review a game which is actually good.
How and why? One of the things I never understood is why "Stupid Gun" seems to get such wide-spread acclaim when it doesn't do anything that's new, spectacular, or actually better than what other titles have done previously, such as Steins;Gate, and Time Hollow, and Lux-Pain, and Another Code, and, just about, the entire game genre of visual novels that the Japanese have all but monopolized for the past 30 years (Not to mention a few JRPGs whose names escape me)?

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Transdude1996 said:
darkrage6 said:
How and why? One of the things I never understood is why "Stupid Gun" seems to get such wide-spread acclaim when it doesn't do anything that's new, spectacular, or actually better than what other titles have done previously, such as Steins;Gate, and Time Hollow, and Lux-Pain, and Another Code, and, just about, the entire game genre of visual novels that the Japanese have all but monopolized for the past 30 years (Not to mention a few JRPGs whose names escape me)?
What is Stupid Gun?

I've played Time Hollow and Another Code. They're pretty good, but nothing amazing or anything. I'd certainly rather Yahtzee review them than the latest "shoot/punch/stab people in the head" game that's on the market each week.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Transdude1996 said:
darkrage6 said:
What is Stupid Gun?