Zero Punctuation: Viewer's Choice: Duke Nukem Forever

Per Kaas

Aug 26, 2010
The irony here is that Take Two entertainment the same week announced that they are publishing Duke Nukem Forever and that Gearbox is developing it. They displayed it on PAX. So it looks like he will have to make another review of it. Though I hope the developers have taken a couple of pointers from his review and made the game so big that it comes out on 14 DVDs. ;P

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Hey does anyone find it slightly hilarious that in the week after this has won the viewers choice award, 2K and Gearbox Software have announced Duke Nukem Forever at PAX?

JonahNYC

Mar 13, 2008
LockandKey said:
I think this vid + the fact that the game actually got made proves Yahtzee has prophetic visions weather or not he saw the visions correctly is another matter.
Actually, it's showing he's 100% wrong.

For instance, he claims that they would rework Duke in a parodic or satiric way.

Nope. Duke is Duke. It's like Duke Nukem 3D came out last year. There's no reworking, no sense of irony.

Worst for Ben... DNF is the most popular game at PAX, with 3 hour wait lines according to Derek Nolan of 2old2play. It's looking extremely good.

Imagine if Ben had mocked Half-Life during its long 7 year dev cycle. He'd look kind of stupid when Half-Life was released, no?

This is the danger of making predictions of failure - you look like an idiot if the subject you're attacking is good.

clank1013

May 21, 2009
ROFL!!!!!!

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/surprise-duke-nukem-forever-uncanceled-playable-at-pax/1409763

clank1013

May 21, 2009
talk about perfect timeing, we just elected thsi vdioe of makign fun of this game, and the secual is finally announced/revealed! lol

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/surprise-duke-nukem-forever-uncanceled-playable-at-pax/1409763

mikamala

Oct 14, 2009
PAX 2010: Duke Nukem Forever has a booth in the Expo hall. With a new trailer. And two levels of game-play. And free T-Shirts. And bottles of "steroid" mints.

... May be jumping the gun a bit here, but either this is the greatest (cruelest) video game hoax of our time, or this is a thing that is actually *finally* happening.

Also, at PAX, I got John St.John's autograph. That happened. AWESOME.

Typhron

Dec 17, 2008
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Wait, so his best review is of a game that doesn't actually exist...?

The world doesn't make sense to me anymore.
QFT.

...Why am I logged in?

romxxii

Feb 18, 2010
mikamala said:
PAX 2010: Duke Nukem Forever has a booth in the Expo hall. With a new trailer. And two levels of game-play. And free T-Shirts. And bottles of "steroid" mints.

... May be jumping the gun a bit here, but either this is the greatest (cruelest) video game hoax of our time, or this is a thing that is actually *finally* happening.

Also, at PAX, I got John St.John's autograph. That happened. AWESOME.
Nah, it's called the universe likes being an ironic douchebag. How else would you describe Yahtzee's satirical pseudo review of a game that never came out getting voted the best ZP on the same weekend that the real DNF was unveiled at PAX?

Either that, or someone corrected the timeline so it's getting released again. Maybe Yahtzee did it; he is on "holiday."

Aran

Sep 27, 2003
It's pretty disturbing how many people in this thread actually think Duke Nukem Forever is going to adhere to something so trivial as a release date.

I predict that before Duke goes beta there'll be some insignificant advancement in the field of gimmicky 3D effects, which will prompt a re-re-development of the port of the unreleased DNF so that they can upgrade the product and rename it Duke Nuke Forever 3D. And we will have come full circle.

LandoCristo

Apr 2, 2010
If Yahtzee doesn't review the real DNF, I won't know what to think. That said, I voted Painkiller for best review, even thought I tried it out on Zp's recommendation and thought that "it blew goats"

DaGoomba

Aug 2, 2010
I can only imagine Yahtzee's reaction to Duke Nukem's actual release. Yet for some reason, I can vaguely hear an 'I told ya so' off in the distance.

ShoopDaToaster

Jun 15, 2010
The one that wins is a game that does not exist.
A DAY LATER,THE GAME IS ANNOUNCED.
HOLY SHIT YAHTZEE JUST SPARKED DUKE NUKEM FOREVER.

Godfather912

Aug 24, 2010
You know what Yahtzee (and any other uberfans that think just like him)? It's pretty damn obvious that the PUBLIC STILL GIVES A DAMN ABOUT DUKE NUKEM! I honestly cannot wait to see your real review of this game! That is, if you ever do review it! And sure call it "an utterly generic brown fps" again, call it over hyped, call it shit in your actual review (if you ever make one)! But you know what? None of that bullshit IS EVER going to keep me or anyone else WHO STILL CARES from playing this game! Even those who hate Duke Nukem will buy this just to say they have piece of former vaporware in their collection! Mock it all you want, but no matter which way you look at it, this is video game history in the making!

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
What really sucks is that Psychonauts went up against Mailbag showdown. I'm sure it would have gone much further if not for that whole fiasco.

Imagine, Telekenetic bears Vs a gun that shoots shurikens and lightning.

BTW, in the game that gun isn't that powerful.

Reagus

Apr 1, 2009
A Person said:
Gentlemen....

BEHOLD. http://boards.4chan.org/v/res/72113764

This is it.

THIRTEEN YEARS.
Did you seriously just link a 4chan url? You really shouldn't be on that site if you have no idea how it works tbh.

Anyway its extremely interesting timing that this wins and the game gets a demo revealed a few days later, which makes me ponder if someone knew something they weren't letting on... CONSPIRACY!

Anchupom

In it for the Pub Club cookies
Apr 15, 2009
I bet he's going to have to eat this review with his arse when the real DNF comes out.

I mean, it's going to be crap. This review won't work with it.