Zero Punctuation: Watch_Dogs 2

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
I remember that time when Yahtzee would call out sequels that have only a number next to the tile, but after events like Battlefield 1, he basically breathes a sigh of relief when he sees those things there for the sake of keeping them simple.

I also find interesting that the talk about the dangers of hacking only come when there is a game about that subject on the market, kinda like the Purge talk only happens where one of those movies get released, but while one of those things deserves merit for raising awareness, the other is stupid and will never happen/work/make an interesting product.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I dunno, half the younger generation I am subjected to hear waffle on do tend to parrot memes and quips like some reference activated furbies. And thinking back to younger days with friends, am pretty sure we were no better...except there were no memes, just references. Damn, so dumb.

Anyway, I had much fun with the buttons for calling the police or street gangs to sort out anybody who looked at me funny. One biker dude kept getting all up my face for no reason (probably cos I was black, but you know), so I just gave him a gift that keeps on giving. Aka; a murder warrant for his arrest. Then I sat back, in a remote control crane, lifting slowly up into the air, crying "bow before your new lord and hack saviour!"

Did not go down the way I'd hoped.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Smithnikov said:
So it's "What Anonymous and 4chan think they are. The Game."
I think it's more like "What old men think Anonymous and 4chan think they are. The Game."

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Biggest laugh I got out of this was the crack on Bay Area traffic, because it's so true. Our traffic on the freeways is just God-awful! And I agree with what Yahtzee said about tone. It would improve storytelling in a lot of games like this if player characters ponder the validity of their actions if they're supposed to be a "good guy" and they mow down whole precincts of police.
As for not including Berkeley and its University (of which there are more locations throughout the State, including UCSF), in a game where driving like a maniac and going on shooting sprees are possible, I think that would beg for controversy and Ubisoft made a good call.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Darth_Payn said:
Biggest laugh I got out of this was the crack on Bay Area traffic, because it's so true. Our traffic on the freeways is just God-awful! And I agree with what Yahtzee said about tone. It would improve storytelling in a lot of games like this if player characters ponder the validity of their actions if they're supposed to be a "good guy" and they mow down whole precincts of police.
As for not including Berkeley and its University (of which there are more locations throughout the State, including UCSF), in a game where driving like a maniac and going on shooting sprees are possible, I think that would beg for controversy and Ubisoft made a good call.
Hey man don't hate on the Bay Area too much, they gave birth to Thrash Metal:

Kaamos

Oct 2, 2012
What's with Yahtzee harping on female protagonists recently? He went on and on about it in the last video and he still mentions it in the beginning of this one.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
Yeah, either gunplay is too ubiquitous in city-roaming open world games, or Ubisoft is just too unwilling to break formula, but the gunplay really shouldn't have been in the game (especially considering how half-assedly it was implemented).

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
It's funny that right before Yahtzee mentioned the movie Hackers, I was thinking that the devs must have gotten all their ideas of hacking and hackers from the movie Hackers.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
He says it is a fun improvement on the original gameplay wise. I guess it is on my radar then.

Varis

lp0 on fire
Feb 24, 2012
Well, hey, at least the trailers, ads and the gameplay presentation that I saw at E3 were honest this time around regarding a video game! The premise looked borked from the get go and gosh if they didn't deliver. My head hurts from all the eye-rolling whenever I heard the ad go "Hello world, I'm a hacker" then snap cut to the guy blowing up a police car with an assault rifle.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Thanatos2k said:
Smithnikov said:
So it's "What Anonymous and 4chan think they are. The Game."
I think it's more like "What old men think Anonymous and 4chan think they are. The Game."
This. So much cringe as I watched the Let's Plays of the game.

And this is assuming that "hackers" even have a culture or one that is in the slightest way interesting to the general public.

Heck, it's probably just a bunch of teens with too much time (and not enough money) in their rooms looking through copy protected video games and media files with a hex editor trying to break the said protection to post on warez sites for bragging rights from other such teens - that and shitposting on message boards.

It's not anything with grave consequences (except for video game and media companies) that the general public will care about.

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
The 'Ubisoft Sequel' approach Yahtzee described is probably one of the things holding the game back. Aiden Pierce was criticized for being an unlikeable violent hypocrite so they changed it to Marcus Holloway, a (more) likable hacker who's somewhat on the right side but doesn't mind a little violent catharsis every now and again.

It's sort of sad that the industry doesn't know how to make empathetic (not sympathetic) anti-heroes anymore. There used to be a time when this industry was able to master this sort of thing like with Kratos (at least in the 1st game), but now the protagonists are either likeable but bland or unlikeable and horrific.

(Maybe Rufus from the Deponia series is a step upwards? I'm not sure).

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Burnouts3s3 said:
The 'Ubisoft Sequel' approach Yahtzee described is probably one of the things holding the game back. Aiden Pierce was criticized for being an unlikeable violent hypocrite so they changed it to Marcus Holloway, a (more) likable hacker who's somewhat on the right side but doesn't mind a little violent catharsis every now and again.

It's sort of sad that the industry doesn't know how to make empathetic (not sympathetic) anti-heroes anymore. There used to be a time when this industry was able to master this sort of thing like with Kratos (at least in the 1st game), but now the protagonists are either likeable but bland or unlikeable and horrific.

(Maybe Rufus from the Deponia series is a step upwards? I'm not sure).
Or to put it simply, the industry can't write a decent story to save their lives.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
There's only so many times you can clock someone in the head with a billiard ball on a bungee cord while shouting "8 Ball, corner pocket!" at your monitor before you get bored, and kill everything with a pink AK.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
You can say what you wany about the first W_D, but atleast it didn't try to be this edgy.
Shame though, if the main cast was diffirent I might've liked this game.