Zero Punctuation: We Happy Few

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Procedural generation only really worked in the Diablo games and even then not really.
I think procedural generation is a serviceable, practically mandatory part of RTS games like Age of Empires and Civilization. Minecraft as well, although the "game" in Minecraft is really to make up your own.
Well outside of the RTS genre and Minecraft then. I'm going to get a million people listing off good games that use procedural generation now, aren't I?

Jorpho

Nov 6, 2008
Drathnoxis said:
Boudicca, I remember that user. Been banned a long time now.
Reckon he was referring to the historical Boudica [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boudica] rather than anything going on on the forums.

There were a couple of times I stopped the video to look things up. I'd quite forgotten about the tungsten carbide drills [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQDeU6dHX-c], and I don't believe I'd heard of Asda before.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Canadamus Prime said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Procedural generation only really worked in the Diablo games and even then not really.
I think procedural generation is a serviceable, practically mandatory part of RTS games like Age of Empires and Civilization. Minecraft as well, although the "game" in Minecraft is really to make up your own.
Well outside of the RTS genre and Minecraft then. I'm going to get a million people listing off good games that use procedural generation now, aren't I?
Maybe, maybe not :p I think the gist of procedural generation is that it's good for any match-or-campaign based gameplay that hinges on exploration and survival (I remember Yahtzee bemoaning Subnautica's map wasn't procedurally generated) but less so for story-driven games.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Silentpony said:
Wait I read in a bunch of reviews you have to take this pills like every 2mins to avoid the attention. No one mentioned you can just put on a suit and no one cared
Apparently the stealth is so broken that it's hard to know exactly when an enemy will see you vs be totally oblivious towards you. At least that's what several reviews have mentioned.

I really liked the idea of this game. I still do. I had hope when they said they were gonna retool the game for a more story based experience, but it seems they didn't really fix anything and doubled the price to boot so I guess that's one game I can not worry about buying.

Apparently in this version you won't die every 5 minutes from thirst/starvation/lack of sleep which apparently was a problem in the original early access build. So that's one improvement, it would seem.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Maybe, maybe not :p I think the gist of procedural generation is that it's good for any match-or-campaign based gameplay that hinges on exploration and survival (I remember Yahtzee bemoaning Subnautica's map wasn't procedurally generated) but less so for story-driven games.
I don't recall him bemoaning it so much as just being surprised that it wasn't procedurally generated. Nevertheless when I made my comment I really wasn't thinking, there are many games where it works, but like a lot of mechanics it is often misused and misapplied.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Canadamus Prime said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Well, "every Roguelike and Roguelite" should remove most of those, but there are indeed quite a lot where it works.

But I think the important thing why it works in those is that they aren't trying to tell a linear story (with or without sidequests) within the same map - either they throw you into a new map every few minutes and tell you to just do your usual thing and the story is then continued with side-objectives (XCOM 2 and Fortnite STW do that) or just don't have a proper plot to begin with and just have a start and end, maybe with some general lore thrown in.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Canadamus Prime said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Canadamus Prime said:
I don't recall him bemoaning it so much as just being surprised that it wasn't procedurally generated. Nevertheless when I made my comment I really wasn't thinking, there are many games where it works, but like a lot of mechanics it is often misused and misapplied.
In the post ZP stream he mentions he was surprised when he found out and that killed his interest to replay it.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
McElroy said:
Wee Crappy Poo. How mature.
You do realize that in the past a joke that nearly killed him was someone saying "Booby Booby Bum Bum."

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Canadamus Prime said:
In the post ZP stream he mentions he was surprised when he found out and that killed his interest to replay it.
Ah, I don't think I caught that whole stream.
Bindal said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Well, "every Roguelike and Roguelite" should remove most of those, but there are indeed quite a lot where it works.

But I think the important thing why it works in those is that they aren't trying to tell a linear story (with or without sidequests) within the same map - either they throw you into a new map every few minutes and tell you to just do your usual thing and the story is then continued with side-objectives (XCOM 2 and Fortnite STW do that) or just don't have a proper plot to begin with and just have a start and end, maybe with some general lore thrown in.
As I said to Johnny Novgorod, my initial comment was poorly thought out.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Jorpho said:
Drathnoxis said:
Reckon he was referring to the historical Boudica [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boudica] rather than anything going on on the forums
I know that. I'm sure Yahtzee doesn't read the forums, but I prefer to think of it as the user. She was a real character.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Drathnoxis said:
Jorpho said:
Drathnoxis said:
Reckon he was referring to the historical Boudica [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boudica] rather than anything going on on the forums
I know that. I'm sure Yahtzee doesn't read the forums, but I prefer to think of it as the user. She was a real character.
He mentions "comments" on and off, don't know if he's referring to the forum's or Youtube's or Reddit or what.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
Y'all bitched so much about Call of Duty and other shooters "railroading" you through places, that now the gods have grown angry and thrown us all into procedural generated open world hell. All sense of timeliness and plot structure are lost to us in favor of map strongholds and dungeon crawling. Thanks a lot, guys.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
irishda said:
Y'all bitched so much about Call of Duty and other shooters "railroading" you through places, that now the gods have grown angry and thrown us all into procedural generated open world hell. All sense of timeliness and plot structure are lost to us in favor of map strongholds and dungeon crawling. Thanks a lot, guys.
Yeah i'll gladly take corridors and railroading over this random nonsense.