Zero Punctuation: Wilson's Heart

Samael Barghest

Mar 5, 2014
Is VR still a thing? I thought we would've forgotten about it by now. Well, maybe someone will do something with it since it's apparently around for good.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Aww cute, it must be their first attempt at a red herring!

Going pretty niche this week, aren't we? VR titles are niche enough, but Oculus VR?? Damn, son! The brief Existenz nod is appreciated Mogwai.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
My perfect VR experience involves a DDR-style track pad (for lack of a proper sim room, X-Men style) that actually lets you walk around the game rather than flash from one fixed point to another (or hold down an analog stick). Call me when that thing is invented.

Sean Birch

Mar 12, 2012
Ah, I see we're already well off with people who have opinions about VR even though they obviously never actually tried it :)

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I learned today while watching Yahtzee's TWITCH stream that today's his birthday. So, Happy Birthday Yahtzee!
Johnny Novgorod said:
My perfect VR experience involves a DDR-style track pad (for lack of a proper sim room, X-Men style) that actually lets you walk around the game rather than flash from one fixed point to another (or hold down an analog stick). Call me when that thing is invented.
I remember them having that in a Season 6 episode of Community, when the Dean blew the college's money on a VR headset and platform, from the '90's.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Samael Barghest said:
Is VR still a thing? I thought we would've forgotten about it by now. Well, maybe someone will do something with it since it's apparently around for good.
Yeah I forgot too, I never even heard of this game before. VR definitely did not take off the way people thought it would, I hear the sales for the Rift and Vive have been weak(Even PSVR isn't doing that great), Zenimax successfully suing the former certainly won't help.

Problem with VR is that it's expensive and frankly does not sound very rewarding or fun, it's something only for the upper-middle class, as not only are the VR devices themselves expensive, you also need a top of the line PC to use them.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Sean Birch said:
Ah, I see we're already well off with people who have opinions about VR even though they obviously never actually tried it :)
Well most people can't just try it cause they don't have hundreds of fucking dollars to blow on it and not many stores have demos for it set up.

Sean Birch

Mar 12, 2012
darkrage6 said:
Sean Birch said:
Well most people can't just try it cause they don't have hundreds of fucking dollars to blow on it and not many stores have demos for it set up.
Of course! But in that case your mind should still be open about it ;)

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
So now are we making VR games per week like the rest? It seems a bit incongruous since we still force indies to share the spotlight and the PSVR's rapidfire style of review did managed to cover most of what was interesting at the time.

Also, I am not gonna pretend I am that 1% where the motion controls worked flawlessly for every single game I ever played, but I am still sticking my foot in the door to "MC = Gimmick" land, since most of what Nintendo, Capcom and Activision did with the Wii was great and I don't want that to be associated with the garbage eveything EA, Sega and Atari did for it.

4Aces

May 29, 2012
Happy Birthday Yahtzee!

Really surprised there was not at least one volleyball joke.

I hate experiences, they tend to make me level up. Then I have to try and figure out which skill to pick next for my min/maxing OCDedness.

nightowlc

Nov 5, 2008
Never tried VR, so can't comment on it.

From a storytelling standpoint, it is pretty sad to hear about bloodless bodies and an NPC who looks like an old movie vampire and has the same name as an actor famous for playing a vampire, but SHOCKINGLY is not the vampire. The smug cat face for that was perfect.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
Given his gripes about the couch thing I think he might have been better off going with the Vive than the Oculus.
Obnoxious name aside, that one lets you actually walk around freely in a room so long as you have the floorspace and don't have any running fans mounted too low, rather than standing (or sitting) stock-still and popping about with the analog sticks.

OkinKun

Apr 1, 2011
wow! I'm glad to see him do a VR game, especially an oculus touch one.. although it's odd he chose this one, as there are a LOT better VR games already out.. And heck, wait a few months and Lone Echo comes out, and that's like the most amazing looking VR game coming yet. Seriously, look up Lone Echo's "it's all in the hands" video or one of the trailers, it also has a wild looking multiplayer mode. :D

Absimilliard

Only you can read this.
Nov 4, 2009
4Aces said:
Happy Birthday Yahtzee!
Thanks for the intel. Happy belated birthday, Yahtzee!

Also, I'm sure VR will get mainstream... oooh, let's say sometime after the prize for a PSVR set drops below what I paid for my PS4...

karamazovnew

Apr 4, 2011
Samael Barghest said:
VR is doing well in the sim department. Really well. It would be funny to see just how far Yahtzee can send his vomit after making a sudden spin stop in Assetto Corsa, or while doing a divebomb in a Stuka in IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad. So yeah, you need a good stomach for those. The tech is still far from perfect and you need a monster PC to keep the frames up at 90. But for a "Demo", us sim fans are having to buy extra storage space for all the spunk we've collected in the last year, from constant jizzing at having our long dreams fulfilled.

PS: also, Minecraft in VR is the best "room experience, hand controllers stuff" you can get at the moment. Not sure why Yahtzee hasn't tried it yet. Maybe screaming while falling down constantly from great heights, while building a mega cathedral isn't his cup of tea.