Zero Theorem Trailer Says All Is For Nothing

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Zero Theorem Trailer Says All Is For Nothing

Terry Gilliam returns to Brazil territory for the 21st Century

His most widely-seen films today may still be 12 Monkeys and Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas (and, of course, Monty Python & The Holy Grail,) but maverick director Terry Gilliam first broke big as an auteur filmmaker with 1985's Brazil; [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wh2b1eZFUM] a dystopian dark scifi/fantasy comedy about an anonymous office worker whose chance encounter with the (literal) woman of his dreams pulls him into a nightmarish adventure. Zero Theorem, his latest film, looks to revisit those same themes with a 21st Century tech-industry twist.

The film stars Christophe Waltz as an existentially-troubled, hyper-introverted computer genius living in a hellish Orwellian state. His solitary existence is upended when he accepts a new work assignment: To solve a seemingly-impossible mathematical formula called "The Zero Theorem" (possibly a version of the "Big Crunch" theory [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Crunch]) by which 100% must be made to equal zero - thus proving definitively that existence has no meaning because everything adds up to nothing. As he digs deeper into the problem, he's beset by strange visions, unwelcome visitors and the attentions of an enigmatic femme fatale.

The film was technically completed in 2013 and has screened at multiple international film festivals, and now due to be released in the United States on August 19.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
All work and no Play makes Jack a dull boy.
All work and no play makes Jack a Dull boy.
all Work And No Play Makes jack A Dull Boy.

I'm interested, hopefully it gets a wide release so I don't have to drive too far to see it.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Pi meets Brazil directed by Mr Gilliam? I'm so very very down with this concept.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
yeaaaa, unless it comes boxed with a whole lotta mind altering substances "zero" describes my interest in this kind of arthouse weirdness.

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
Eh. Looks overly pretentious to me and particularly with how movie trailers or teasers can have about as much to do with the subject matter as a chocolate kettle has to synaptic cockroaches I'll give this a bleh, miss.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I'm hesitant that it's going to be a "and then he finds God at the end and learns there is something to live for" kind of theme. Which annoys the shit out of me as an atheist. Since he's trying to prove that all is nothing, thus life is meaningless, it smacks REALLY heavily of the trope in movies where they let the hero Find Faith, and then everything's all good and happy, and they fade to white on his smiling face or something. The idea that those who don't believe in god have meaningless lives is a fairly common misconception, that really drives me batty.

I'll probably watch this film, but if it ends up being that type of story I'm going to be highly pissed.