Zombie Informed Survival Test (Z.I.S.T.)

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
edit: I WILL MARK YOUR RESPONSE!
I want to check how my fellow escapist would to in a zombie apocalypse. I will present you with three scenarios that you may occur in a zombie apocalypse:
1.you have ran into a small hard ware store that has: gardening equipment, tools and cash register. you have locked the front door and there is no back door. their are around 200-300 zombies out side what to you do? (in this situation it's slow hard to kill zombies)
2. you have teamed up with a police man and injured 5 year old girl, the police officer is out of ammo and only has a baton left you are carrying a frying pan/combat knife/grenade/pointed metal pole (pick one) zombies are hot on your tail you are about 500m away from a save house what to you do? (these zombies are left 4 dead zombies)
3. you and the person closest to you are 100m away from a helicopter that will rescue you when the other person falls over with the zombies 50m behind you have a pistol with 20 shots left what do you do? (these are 28 days later zombies)

well I wish you guys the best of luck with these tests and the best get to join my 'the people who kick zombies asses' group (not an actual escapist group(from my knowledge) but should be)

for those who want advice:
zfactor said:
1. Harware store = chainsaw = insta-decapitation. Shouldn't be too hard to get to Costco since my local hardware store is across the parking lot from it...

2. Have the cop and girl run ahead (or have him carry her) while I fend off the zombies with the combat knife. Because I know how to use one. And I just have to keep them from running past me to eat the other survivors.

3. He probably can get back up before the zombies run 50m, so I'd cover him for the 2 seconds it takes. If he can't get back up, I'd use the massive resulting adreanaline rush to pick him/her up and or drag to the helicopter. I wouldn't leave them or my conscience would bug me... Unless they shouted to give them the gun and flee. Then I would do what they said.
this is a perfect example of what not to do:
1. a chainsaw takes effort to slice through a person/zombie and seeing the number and densaty of the zombies it won't be effective.

2. compassion for those who can't survive is one of the greatest killers in the zombie apocalypse...well apart from zombies.

3. needs to know zombies better and the compassion for those unlikely to survive.
edit: extra info as asked
1.the hardware store is about 30mx40m in size their is only a back door which is locked and a ladder to the roof, the shop is just out side a city, singular building, the entire front of the building is windows (double glazed) the shutters don't work and the infection has been around for a while.

2.out on the street, he girl is injured but you don't know whether she is infected, a large crowd coming from more then one path behind you, no it's just 500m run down the street no obstacles, only things are the building either side of the street and the safe house, no one is in the safe house and it's a rest stop with a map of safe zones and supplies.

3. 30-50 he tripped, no major injury just a small cut and they are unarmed, it's a large open field, their is he pilot in the helicopter and a sniper rifle with 5 shots, all the shots are in one clip.

zfactor

Jan 16, 2010
1. Harware store = chainsaw = insta-decapitation. Shouldn't be too hard to get to Costco since my local hardware store is across the parking lot from it...

2. Have the cop and girl run ahead (or have him carry her) while I fend off the zombies with the combat knife. Because I know how to use one. And I just have to keep them from running past me to eat the other survivors.

3. He probably can get back up before the zombies run 50m, so I'd cover him for the 2 seconds it takes. If he can't get back up, I'd use the massive resulting adreanaline rush to pick him/her up and or drag to the helicopter. I wouldn't leave them or my conscience would bug me... Unless they shouted to give them the gun and flee. Then I would do what they said.

Professor Cubbage

Aug 19, 2009
1. I use the money in the cash register to bribe the zombies into leaving me alone. They may be zombies but I doubt they'll resist the smell of money.
2. I take the grenade then provide a distracton allowing the others to escape. When the zombies are upon me I pull the pin and take them all with me.
3. I empty 19 rounds into the other guy for being such an overused cliche and run back towards the helicopter, put a bullet in his face and steal his helicopter.

Super Six One

Apr 23, 2009
1. I would run out the door with a meele weapon and quickly be eaten.
2. Pick up the kid and make a dash for the safehouse(the police man can fed fro himself, he is a trained person) I would check to see if he can make it before closing the safehouse door, but tbh we'd most likly die.
3. 28 days later doesn't have "zombies"
Buuuut I'd stop and take a few shots (time enough for the other guy to maybe get up) and then make a dash for the chopper. Oh and i'd go for legshots on the infected, should knock them to the floor and slow them down.

Oh and in all these senarios i will die. I mean most people don't make it in zombie films. Can't see me being any different.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
For scenario 3, I'd run like hell and hope that the fallen human will distract the Zombies enough for me to get to the helicopter, maybe taking a few shots over my shoulder.
For scenario 2, carrying a combat knife, I'd sheath the knife and probably run like hell, hoping that the zombies will be too busy killing/eating my companions to go after me.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
1: I'm screwed. shouldn't have run into the store.
Regardless, I look for a riding lawnmower that I can send out the door... on fire... also a quality machete, another riding lawnmower (for me) that can go faster than 5MPH, and some gasoline to keep it going. Might as well try to make a break for it, at least.

2: Left 4 dead zombies? Seriously?
...worst goddamn "zombies" ever conceived...
I'll take the grenade (an M67, I assume?). I pull the pin and throw it into the mass of zombies, yell "come on!" at the policeman, and start running for the house. Maybe he saves the girl, maybe not. Maybe they both get eaten, maybe not... but I run for all I'm worth.

3: I have no idea what 28 days later zombies can do. Need more info.
...but going on the assumption that they're normal-ish zombies... if fast: I shoot my friend as an act of mercy and run to the chopper.
if slow: pick my friend up and run to the chopper.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
nuba km said:
I want to check how my fellow escapist would to in a zombie apocalypse. I will present you with three scenarios that you may occur in a zombie apocalypse:
1.you have ran into a small hard ware store that has: gardening equipment, tools and cash register. you have locked the front door and there is no back door. their are around 200-300 zombies out side what to you do? (in this situation it's slow hard to kill zombies)
2. you have teamed up with a police man and injured 5 year old girl, the police officer is out of ammo and only has a baton left you are carrying a frying pan/combat knife/grenade/pointed metal pole (pick one) zombies are hot on your tail you are about 500m away from a save house what to you do? (these zombies are left 4 dead zombies)
3. you and the person closest to you are 100m away from a helicopter that will rescue you when the other person falls over with the zombies 50m behind you have a pistol with 20 shots left what do you do? (these are 28 days later zombies)

well I wish you guys the best of luck with these tests and the best get to join my 'the people who kick zombies asses' group (not an actual escapist group(from my knowledge) but should be)
1. I'm in a hardware store so there'll be things like aprons and overalls, gloves, and other protective equipment in there for asale. So I'll don as much of that as I can while still being able to run quickly and move around okay. Then, arm myself with a portable chainsaw from the shelves, or whatever other sharp tools are around if there are no chainsaws (a hardware store is bound to carry something that would allow me to charge the battery or whatever), then make a run for it through the front entrance, only stopping when necessary or to clear a path, and escape (if it's slow zombies I can outrun them easily).

2. I choose the pointed metal pole. I'll help the police officer protect the girl if I can reasonably do so, but if there is a danger to myself then I will make a run for it. The pole, being long, can be used to spike zombies in the head (either through the eye, or through the nose or mouth where the rotting flesh is weak and easy to get through, that gives me direct access from a distance to the brain, allowing me to kill said zombies quickly and easily with no problems or danger to myself). I'm not going to let myself die to save people who are injured, but if I can help them with no danger to myself then I will.

3. I carry on running. Someone falls, they get left behind, I'm not risking my life to save someone when the chances are that will only cause us both to die. Better one survive than two die trying to save each other. I will, however, shoot them first while running backwards (towards the chopper, facing my comrade) so they're spared the suffering of being ravaged by zombies. And bear in mind I'm a fast sprinter, I could easily make 100m really quickly.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
loc978 said:
1: I'm screwed. shouldn't have run into the store.
Regardless, I look for a riding lawnmower that I can send out the door... on fire... also a quality machete, another riding lawnmower (for me) that can go faster than 5MPH, and some gasoline to keep it going. Might as well try to make a break for it, at least.

2: Left 4 dead zombies? Seriously?
...worst goddamn "zombies" ever conceived...
I'll take the grenade (an M67, I assume?). I pull the pin and throw it into the mass of zombies, yell "come on!" at the policeman, and start running for the house. Maybe he saves the girl, maybe not. Maybe they both get eaten, maybe not... but I run for all I'm worth.

3: I have no idea what 28 days later zombies can do. Need more info.
first so far you are looking great with your reasoning, second no M67 and lastly the 28 days later zombies run at Olympic speed and any bodily fluids coming into contact with open areas will lead to infection.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
nuba km said:
first so far you are looking great with your reasoning, second no M67
First, thank you. Second, if it's not an M67 [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M67_grenade], what type of grenade to I have?
nuba km said:
and lastly the 28 days later zombies run at Olympic speed and any bodily fluids coming into contact with open areas will lead to infection.
In that case, I'll go with the "shoot my friend (in the head) as an act of mercy and run" option

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
Trivun said:
for trivun's eyes only:
you are in my zombie survival crew you have gotten an A+ on the test showing reasonable emotional distance and logical approach to situations only thing that needs to be worked on is choice of weapon as chainsaw is not actually effective but the metal pole is a good choice.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
loc978 said:
nuba km said:
First, thank you. Second, if it's not an M67 [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M67_grenade], what type of grenade to I have?
nuba km said:
and lastly the 28 days later zombies run at Olympic speed and any bodily fluids coming into contact with open areas will lead to infection.
In that case, I'll go with the "shoot my friend (in the head) as an act of mercy and run" option
very good also I thought you meant a gun with M67 but the grenade is slandered military grenade.
you get a A- you have good survival chance but you need an A to join my zombie survival group.

JAWZxZ

Mar 21, 2010
1. I'd put one of those kiddy plastic playhouses over a ride-on lawnmower, and blow that popsicle stand. They wouldn't get through that playhouse.
2. Ditch the girl, you can always make more children. Then just leg it. Remember, during an apocalypse, you're the only one who matters.
3. I'd give the guy the pistol and leg the rest of the way, if he makes it, he makes it, if he doesn't, I can always come back for the pistol later ;)

Scout Tactical

Jun 23, 2010
Hey guys, a zombie thread on the Escapist? That's so original! I wonder why no one has thought of this before!

Oh wait. There's five of these every day.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
nuba km said:
very good also I thought you meant a gun with M67 but the grenade is slandered military grenade.
oookayy...
The only "gun" I can think of with the designation M67 is a recoilless anti-tank rifle from World War II...

but yeah, the M67 is the standard US military fragmentation grenade.

...I think I'm done here.

VuvuZelaMan

Oct 23, 2010
1)
Item: Shovel
Equipment: Combustible gardening supplies (they exist), lighter
Action: Toss fire at zombies with shovel. Leave some fire near door for protection.

2)
Item: Pointed pole
Equipment: Adrenaline
Action: I assume I am slower than the policeman (and that they refuse to abandon the girl), so he can carry the girl and run while I (by nature) am behind, using the pointy stick to poke anything too close to my precious fluids. I run for the safehouse, and use the pointy stick to jamb the door.

If first assumption is incorrect, run and jamb door.
If second is incorrect, convince policeman that abandoning the injured is the optimal course, and we run and jamb door.

3)
Item: Pistol
Equipment: Helicopter
Action: Shoot the zombies in the front of the formation while the companion gets up, then run to helicopter. If determined to be injured beyond ability to walk, they are doomed regardless.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
Scout Tactical said:
Hey guys, a zombie thread on the Escapist? That's so original! I wonder why no one has thought of this before!

Oh wait. There's five of these every day.
wow a sarcastic comment on a common thread that's original.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
VuvuZelaMan said:
1)
Action: Toss fire at zombies with shovel. Leave some fire near door for protection.

2)
Action: I assume I am slower than the policeman, so he can carry the girl and run while I (by nature) am behind, using the pointy stick to poke anything too close to my precious fluids. I run for the safehouse, and use the pointy stick to jamb the door.

3)
Action: Shoot the zombies in the front of the formation while the companion gets up, then run to helicopter. If determined to be injured beyond ability to walk, they are doomed regardless.
hhm you just get an A for as long as there aren't to many people you can join my zombie survival team.

VuvuZelaMan

Oct 23, 2010
nuba km said:
VuvuZelaMan said:
1)

2)
Action: I assume I am slower than the policeman, so he can carry the girl and run while I (by nature) am behind, using the pointy stick to poke anything too close to my precious fluids. I run for the safehouse, and use the pointy stick to jamb the door.

3)
hhm you just get an A for as long as there aren't to many people you can join my zombie survival team.
Thanks; I amended the second based on its assumptions I postulated just in case, but most of the assumptions I made are realistic.

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
nuba km said:
loc978 said:
nuba km said:
nuba km said:
you get a A- you have good survival chance but you need an A to join my zombie survival group.
So who made you the master of all things fantasy? This stuff is made up, you can't tell people they're wrong just because of the way you imagine a scenario.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
Aurora219 said:
nuba km said:
loc978 said:
nuba km said:
nuba km said:
So who made you the master of all things fantasy? This stuff is made up, you can't tell people they're wrong just because of the way you imagine a scenario.
I made the test so therefore I mark it if you feel the results are unfair fell free to debate them.