Zombies Get Their First Golden Globe Nomination

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Zombies Get Their First Golden Globe Nomination

The audience members attending the 68th Golden Globe Awards might want to bring a shotgun.

AMC's The Walking Dead has been a hit since its first episode [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104980-AMCs-The-Walking-Dead-Is-a-Massive-Zombie-Hit], and now even the Hollywood Foreign Press Association is getting into the zombie craze. The Walking Dead has been nominated by the HFPA for a Golden Globe.

The Walking Dead will go up against Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire, The Good Wife, and Dexter for Best Television Drama at the 68th Golden Globes award show to take place in 2011. Though Dexter has its fair share of blood, if the HFPA votes based on gore Walking Dead is an assured victor [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106094-Walking-Deads-Gruesome-Zombie-Kills-Condensed-Into-One-Minute].

The show is a unique case in the television world, having been adapted from Robert Kirkman's comic book of the same name. After just a couple of episodes, it was renewed for a second season [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105156-The-Walking-Dead-Rises-for-a-Second-Season], with average ratings of more than 5 million viewers per episode. The ratings actually blew through the roof for Walking Dead's finale episode, with 6 million tuning in.

You could say that The Walking Dead represents a huge success for getting cool concepts adapted from "nerdy" media on television. Other interesting comic book properties are already being discussed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105993-Walking-Dead-Writer-Left-to-Develop-Superhero-Noir-TV-Show] for television adaptation with Walking Dead producers at the helm.

If The Walking Dead wins a Golden Globe for its first season, it'll prove that a show's subject matter doesn't necessarily hold as much weight as how it's presented. The Walking Dead is a mature, personal show, and not just about blasting zombies in the brain. It'll also mean that we're likely to see an acceptance speech filled with lots of "uhhhhhhhs."

Source: HFPA [http://www.goldenglobes.org/blog/2010/12/the-68th-annual-golden-globe-awards-nominations/]

LadyMint

Apr 22, 2010
This is one of my favorite shows and I'm only annoyed that there's just six episodes so far. I can't wait for the next season and I hope they do win an award.

It would also be fun if they had zombies shuffle on stage to receive the award. Though there's probably not enough time in a given speech moment for the slow zombie shuffle. We'll need the fast zombie runners instead.

ScarlettRage

May 13, 2009
yay for the zombies!
the walking dead is one of the better zombie shows/ movies i have watched...
theres a couple that i really dont wanna think about... *shudders*

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
Its up against some tough competition. I don't know what Boardwalk Empire is and The Good Wife sucks but Dexter and Mad Men are going to tough to beat. Then again anything with Jon Hamm is going to be difficult to beat in terms of awesomeness.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
I'm split on this. It will be great if it wins... But next year the best TV series EVAR!!!1!1 will premiere on HBO (Game of Thrones) and if this has already won a globe people may attribute its success more to the mainstreaming of the 'nerd' genres and not to its own presentation.

Having said that it is always good to see a genre that was oncenerd only hitting the big time! Batman 3 for Best picture?

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I am regretting not watching this show more and more with each featured news story. I really have to remedy this.

Apr 29, 2010
AvsJoe said:
I am regretting not watching this show more and more with each featured news story. I really have to remedy this.
So do I. But, it's hard when you're at work every time an episode comes on.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
superbatranger said:
AvsJoe said:
So do I. But, it's hard when you're at work every time an episode comes on.
At least you have TV. I only get about 6 stations and on of them is entirely in French. The only thing I use my TV for is Hockey Night in Canada on Saturdays.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
It's also great to see people understanding that it's not really like a zombie movie, it's a drama about people and the relationships between them, and how they're strained and put under pressure when dropped into a horrible, tense, dangerous situation.

Ok, the zombies HELP, I admit :D

Just saying, it's not all about that. In fact you can go half an episode without seeing one fairly easy. What proves its worth is you don't notice or care, because it's so damn good, you're not even thinking of zombies when they're not being the focus of the story.

mistwolf

Feb 1, 2008
I'm happy it got nominated, but I have to say this season of Dexter blew it out of the water. They aren't even really in the same league. Not a fan of Mad Men but I appreciate it's quality and think it's also hard for TWD to beat that.

lee1287

Apr 7, 2009
is this the oscars?

Or is it somethign totally diffrent. I know theres diffrent awards, but golden globes are oscars... right?