ZombiU Proves Unprofitable, Sequel Seems Unlikely

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
ZombiU Proves Unprofitable, Sequel Seems Unlikely

Despite being one of the best launch titles available for the Wii U, ZombiU will go down in history as a financial flop.

Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot recently spoke to GamesIndustry for a piece examining the dire straits Nintendo's Wii U console appears mired in. The whole article is a litany of reasons why Nintendo's latest console isn't doing so hot, but among the doom and gloom one piece of negative information stands above all else: Word that ZombiU, a title enjoyed by both fans and critics, was "not even close" to being profitable.

Sadly, as a result of its fiscal failure, Ubisoft has "no desire" to create a ZombiU sequel. Further, the company's decision to bring Rayman Legends to platforms other than the Wii U was directly influenced by the downfall of ZombiU. The Wii U, it seems, just doesn't attract enough players to ensure suitable profitability for Ubisoft's tastes.

"We must find a way to ensure the creativity of [Ubisoft] games could have a big enough audience," Guillemot states, before turning his attention to the status of the Wii U in general, "We hope it will take off. At the moment, we've said 'let's do through Christmas and see where we are from there.'"

That's ... *math* ... roughly five months until Ubisoft reevaluates its position on the Wii U. Nintendo's console has improved its ability to attract players since launch, but is still far from an industry leader's position. Will Nintendo be able to turn things around quickly enough to keep publishers satisfied?

More crucially, what does the failure of ZombiU mean for the Wii U? If you'll recall, prior to its release ZombiU was touted as prime evidence that Nintendo's new console would cater to the "hardcore gamer" set. If it couldn't succeed with this aim (and being a pretty entertaining, novel game), will future developers shy away from bringing their darker, more violent titles to Nintendo's machine? And if so, can the Wii U survive on first-party Nintendo titles and whatever family-friendly fare other companies might bring to market?

Publicly Nintendo may not want to repeat the history of the Wii with its successor, but the company did make a ton of cash from its last console. Of course, that still leaves Nintendo fans hoping for proper violence on their console out in the cold, but with enough money it's very easy to just not care.

Source: GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-07-08-does-nintendo-stand-a-chance-this-holiday]

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
As the sort of person who doesn't really play Nintendo games and isn't really caught up in Wii U news, and won't buy a console for Mario and Zelda if it means I don't get to play Dragon Age and Fallout, what other games does the Wii U have if even Zombie U didn't sell? I've heard about a few mario games I think, but they all blur into one and the people who give those games the love they deserve bought a Wii and have probably already bought a Wii U.

Still if the Wii U can catch onto all these PS3/Xbox/PS4/One multi-multiplatform titles (which shouldn't be that hard right?) maybe that will be enough to push them into full multiplatform support. Because their core fanbase is huge and they announced the right games to attract that specific demographic this E3

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
It seemd like a good idea steeped in bad execution.

But I haven't played it, so I'm only guessing.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I didn't thin there was anything wrong with Rayman legends going multiplaftom but I do dislike the fact that they are making Wii U gamers it until the other versions catch up.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
hmmm, I wonder if the unprofitable part had to do with Ubisoft radically changing the game to pander to the bloated zombie crowd and putting unrealistic expectations on the Wii U and the game. But nope, it's always someone else's fault. Seriously, 3rd parties are a bunch of spoiled brats that desperately need a BIG wakeup call.

Cursed Frogurt

Aug 17, 2010
Aiddon said:
hmmm, I wonder if the unprofitable part had to do with Ubisoft radically changing the game to pander to the bloated zombie crowd and putting unrealistic expectations on the Wii U and the game. But nope, it's always someone else's fault. Seriously, 3rd parties are a bunch of spoiled brats that desperately need a BIG wakeup call.
Exactly, they probably thought they should've spent more on models featured on 18+ sites to market the game. Look it up if you don't know what I'm talking about. Talk about a stupid (and probably not cheap) ad campaign.

It is a shame though. I rented the game and wasn't very impressed, but it was undeniably unique and would've thoroughly satisfied a niche audience, but said niche audience of an already small audience leaves you a very small market.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
There's difference though between "unprofitable" and "not selling".

How much did the game sell? Because this could just as easily be a case of blowing your wad on marketing. This is Ubisoft after all. Untill they release some hard numbers I'm not gonna cry Wii-U fail yet.

Though, where there's smoke there's fire

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
kiri2tsubasa said:
Casual Shinji said:
There's difference though between "unprofitable" and "not selling".

How much did the game sell? Because this could just as easily be a case of blowing your wad on marketing. This is Ubisoft after all. Untill they release some hard numbers I'm not gonna cry Wii-U fail yet.

Though, where there's smoke there's fire
If VGChartz is accurate on this then, worldwide the game sold about 460,000 units. The game is simply not selling at all.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/70793/zombiu/
Eesh! That's rough.

But then I suppose Ubisoft doesn't have the best track record with Wii exclussives.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
You know what can fix initial unprofitable sales? A Steam Port. I'd buy it.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Cursed Frogurt said:
Aiddon said:
Exactly, they probably thought they should've spent more on models featured on 18+ sites to market the game. Look it up if you don't know what I'm talking about. Talk about a stupid (and probably not cheap) ad campaign.

It is a shame though. I rented the game and wasn't very impressed, but it was undeniably unique and would've thoroughly satisfied a niche audience, but said niche audience of an already small audience leaves you a very small market.
You mean this?

Not sure what else to say than:

Id tap it... double tap that is...

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Skops said:
I must admit I'd give it a try on PC as well.

But sure as hell won't be buying a WiiU purely to try it out. It should have been a multi platform title from the start.

thelastgogeta

Oct 21, 2012
As far as core exclusives, I would hope they consider developing Red Steel 3 (RS2 was brilliant), more of us have Wii Motion Plus in our Wii Remotes nowadays.

More of this please: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bod1_2zJJo4

I'm glad that Ubisoft have been patient so far, though I suppose they crowd every launch library with occasional games which stick. They deserve praise for some ports like Assassin's Creed 3 turning out very well, and seeming to continue that for Watch_Dogs among others. I'm sure Rayman will do well at the least to guarantee sequels in that line on the system.

novem

Nov 18, 2009
Vie said:
Skops said:
I must admit I'd give it a try on PC as well.

But sure as hell won't be buying a WiiU purely to try it out. It should have been a multi platform title from the start.
I really enjoyed ZombiU. It had the feel of a game that was pushed out a couple months too soon but the underlying gameplay was very compelling and it?s the best example I can think of a game using the WiiU pad to great effect.

Unfortunately, a port would be missing out on what made the game special and compelling in the first place.