Zootopia - If Animals Can Overcome Racism and Sexism, Why Can't We?

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Zootopia - If Animals Can Overcome Racism and Sexism, Why Can't We?

Zootopia is a serious message movie about prejudice brought to you by Disney - and it's also hilarious, gorgeous, and thrilling. Yeah, that's pretty awesome.

Read Full Article

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if Zootopia started as one of the younger generation's bright and cheery cartoon classics, only to later be revisited in something like Race or Gender Studies papers a few decades down the line - long enough for the flick to be someone's first exposure to both issues.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Well.... I feel less original now.... Time to once again scrap an idea that I've scrapped before.

On the other hand here's another movie I would see in theaters if I didn't hate people under 17 years of age.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Well that's surprising.

When I saw the trailer featuring the drawn-out "DMV run by sloths" bit in the trailer, I thought, "Yeah... No, thanks. I guess that one joke-bit is misrepresentative of the final product.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
...Man, if Marter liked it, this might be legit :eek:

I'll admit, I kinda "Grown out of" animated flicks like these, think the last time I "Had" to see something like this was Wreck-it Ralph because of course I had to.
Might give me a bit of a much needed laugh once this bastard of a college project is over

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Diablo1099 said:
I'll admit, I kinda "Grown out of" animated flicks like these, think the last time I "Had" to see something like this was Wreck-it Ralph because of course I had to.
It should be noted that it's been co-directed by Rich Moore, who directed Wreck-It Ralph, and both of Wreck-It Ralph's screenwriters were involved in its story/screenplay.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Marter said:
Diablo1099 said:
It should be noted that it's been co-directed by Rich Moore, who directed Wreck-It Ralph, and both of Wreck-It Ralph's screenwriters were involved in its story/screenplay.
...Well, that's my Sunday evening settled then :D

Cheers man, thanks for the heads up. :)

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Diablo1099 said:
Marter said:
Diablo1099 said:
...Well, that's my Sunday evening settled then :D

Cheers man, thanks for the heads up. :)
Not to mention all the Futurama he's directed.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
My sister's super into foxes and I happened to like Jason Bateman so I told her I'd go see it with her though I'm still a little dubious... I still love animated movies but I'm not big on anthropomorphic animals.

Maaaaaan I'm probably gonna hear all about how people feel about this movie on Tumblr since at a glance, movies about racism and sexism and anthro animals appeal to all the little SJW on Tumblr. And lots of hot fox-on-bunny action since Tumblr is also disgusting and doesn't know how to not insert sex into everything.

That being said, it's nice to read about it beforehand though I've had some (personal, mind) disagreements about what qualifies as a good "Cinemarter" movie - i.e. I thought the payoff to the VVitch was terrible and Marter liked it so difference of opinion. As long as my sister likes it (which she probably will)

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I had high hopes for this, it is great to see they weren't unfounded. There is a beautiful balance the best of these animated films make, that can appeal to so many and mean different things to each viewer depending on their life experience and intelligence. That is art at its finest.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
remnant_phoenix said:
When I saw the trailer featuring the drawn-out "DMV run by sloths" bit in the trailer, I thought, "Yeah... No, thanks. I guess that one joke-bit is misrepresentative of the final product.
Yeah, that probably wasn't the best scene to put in a trailer. In a short, five to ten second clip, it's hilarious. But when the whole scene came out as a trailer, I got tired of the joke. It went on too long. "Okay, Sloths are slow. We get it. Move on please." Perhaps it works better in the whole movie.

Anyway, I was planning on seeing this the moment I saw the first teaser. Reading such a positive review has only upped my excitement.

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
Spider RedNight said:
My sister's super into foxes and I happened to like Jason Bateman so I told her I'd go see it with her though I'm still a little dubious... I still love animated movies but I'm not big on anthropomorphic animals.

Maaaaaan I'm probably gonna hear all about how people feel about this movie on Tumblr since at a glance, movies about racism and sexism and anthro animals appeal to all the little SJW on Tumblr. And lots of hot fox-on-bunny action since Tumblr is also disgusting and doesn't know how to not insert sex into everything.

That being said, it's nice to read about it beforehand though I've had some (personal, mind) disagreements about what qualifies as a good "Cinemarter" movie - i.e. I thought the payoff to the VVitch was terrible and Marter liked it so difference of opinion. As long as my sister likes it (which she probably will)
Careful you don't hurt yourself with that axe you're grinding.

OT: The movie looks like something I could watch with my 10 year old brother and 9 year old sister even though I'm two decades older than my siblings (long story), though I'm not gonna see it in theaters.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Seems like Disney is getting a solid grasp on making worlds you just want to live in. As much as I didn't really care for Big Hero 6, the world it presented was quite intoxicating.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Spider RedNight said:
And lots of hot fox-on-bunny action since Tumblr is also disgusting and doesn't know how to not insert sex into everything.
In the words of Cinema Sins:

"That bunny is surprisingly sexy and I'm OK with that...and I am not OK with that."

:3

Spider RedNight

Oct 8, 2011
monkeymangler said:
Spider RedNight said:

Careful you don't hurt yourself with that axe you're grinding.
Thanks for the warning; hurting myself and seeing the blood from my whining lets me know that I'M ALIVE, however.

What would it be if not an axe. A machete? Or does "a machete to grind" too much of a mouthful? But why grind an axe when you could say something inconsequential like "SuperWhoLock is trash" and then watch as the hate floods in like limpid tears of blood down my pallid face?

[[ Was that too over-the-top? I can never tell. batmanforever.png ]]

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
RatGouf said:
Well.... I feel less original now.... Time to once again scrap an idea that I've scrapped before.

On the other hand here's another movie I would see in theaters if I didn't hate people under 17 years of age.
Eh don't feel too bad. This movie seems so close to the webcomic Kevin and Kell it's almost suspicious. Difference in that comic is predators still eat prey species. And it's completely legal, nay expected.

That said though: I loved this movie so much.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Knowing Disney, they will probably turned this into a tv series at some point into the future.

Still I will give it a watch if I can.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Having watched it I'll have to agree that it's good, but I do have my criticisms, and most of them involve Judy (the bunny protagonist).
For a film all about prejudice and its causes, it comes of as rather strange that she's so morally pure and lacking in any real flaws or arc, especially considering the following:
A) They show her growing up in a small, isolated, rural town that's mostly populated by bunnies.
B) It's shown that her parents are terrified of predators, and foxes in particular.
C) She is shown to be bullied specifically by a fox.
D) The film is hammering home the theme that prejudice is largely the result of fear.

It just seems like a perfect recipe for her to develop some kind of prejudice/fear against foxes, so that by the end she can have an arc where she realizes her prejudice against predators is not so dissimilar to the prejudice she herself experiences as a bunny-cop, but instead in the first few minutes of the film she's already lecturing her parents on how unfairly they're stereotyping predators. I mean, she even teams up with a fox for most of the movie. By the way it's all set up it almost feels like they were going to go that route but bailed on it part way through; perhaps they didn't want their protagonist to not be a walking embodiment of morality or something.
I'm not saying it's impossible for someone to ignore their upbringing and life experiences, but if you're making a story about prejudice, especially one that puts forth the idea that prejudice often stems from fear, you might want to acknowledge the fact that fear itself can often be the result of traumatic experiences, ignorance, and people's upbringing.

I don't know, she just seemed way too tolerant right from the beginning for a film about intolerance.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Spider RedNight said:
Why grind an axe when you could say something inconsequential like "SuperWhoLock is trash" and then watch as the hate floods in like limpid tears of blood down my pallid face?
Someone's gone Full Gothic...

As for the edginess, it goes without saying. The first trailer was released to the distant moans of tumescent Furry fans the world over. You could hear it if you listened intently, by the favor of night's embrace... With the movie being finally released? I can scarcely imagine.

Whatever you do, just don't look for Rule 34 of Nick and Judy. Preserve thine sanity at all costs!

FirstNameLastName said:
I don't know, Judy just seemed way too tolerant right from the beginning for a film about intolerance.
Why, that's the Standard Disney Formula! You need a Beacon of Virtue and a Lovable Sleazeball, otherwise Beacon will never discover the powers of improvisation and Sleazeball will never heal from his character-wounding traumatic childhood experience or marital failure!

Spider RedNight

Oct 8, 2011
IamLEAM1983 said:
Spider RedNight said:
Why grind an axe when you could say something inconsequential like "SuperWhoLock is trash" and then watch as the hate floods in like limpid tears of blood down my pallid face?
Someone's gone Full Gothic...

As for the edginess, it goes without saying. The first trailer was released to the distant moans of tumescent Furry fans the world over. You could hear it if you listened intently, by the favor of night's embrace... With the movie being finally released? I can scarcely imagine.

Whatever you do, just don't look for Rule 34 of Nick and Judy. Preserve thine sanity at all costs!
I'll never pass by an opportunity to quote My Immortal. Edgefest2016

Also one doesn't need to look for Rule 34 of anything; it literally falls into everyone's laps when it's not being shoved in faces like "LOOK AT THIS CROSS-SPECIES ROMANCE EMBRACE IT"