Z's Not Dead, Baby

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Z's Not Dead, Baby

Z [http://www.amazon.com/Z-Bitmap-Brothers-DOS/dp/B0002SLBRQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1301672963&sr=1-1], the goofy 90s RTS featuring fighting robots with a taste for Rocket Fuel, is making a comeback.

For those who missed it in 1996, another chance to sample the real-time strategy weirdness that is Z is coming soon in Z: The Game, a licensed remake of Kavcom [http://www.bitmap-brothers.co.uk/our-games/past/z.htm].

The updated version will be built around the same RTS action and tongue-in-cheek humor that featured in the original release, with an overhauled interface that will take advantage of touch-screen interfaces. Yes, the game is being developed for the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch, along with the PC, Mac, Android devices, Blackberry Tab and possibly other devices as well.

"We're thrilled to be working with The Bitmap Brothers on the fantastic Z: The Game," said Kavcom Managing Director Tony Kavanagh. "Everything is in there, from the terrific comedy cutscenes to the frantic multiplayer mode, and with a much friendlier, intuitive interface. This is going to be the definitive version of Z."

Complete platform details as well as a specific launch date have yet to be announced but the game is expected to come out later this year.

frans909

Aug 10, 2008
I remember those 2 crazy robots in the spaceship headbanging and everything. That was cool. Then I saw the game and wasn't really that impressed.

LorienvArden

Feb 28, 2011
I'm really looking forward to this.
Not only did they bring in the masterminds of Bitmap Brothers out of retirement, but also ensured that the remake will under no circumstances follow in the shoes of the dreaded second installment of Z.

Weither or not they can beat Blizzards full motion control in time - 48 player multiplayer rts sounds fun anyday !

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wow I can't believe I had forgt about that game until now. While I hope it will be a good game but will it be able to compete with the other RTS games already out there?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
well, I really liked the original Z but the sequel was kinda ehh and the fact that this is being developed partly for ithings makes me suspicious

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
LazerFX said:
This better not be an April Fool's, that was an awesome game.
well i will give you a hint. Do you see any source that the escapist got this story from at the bottom of the post, because every story on the escapist has its source linked at the bottom.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
I hope they put it on Steam. I may have my old CD kicking about somewhere, but getting a copy that won't freak out on new hardware would be nice.

LazerFX

Driver
Sep 10, 2008
zombie711 said:
LazerFX said:
This better not be an April Fool's, that was an awesome game.
well i will give you a hint. Do you see any source that the escapist got this story from at the bottom of the post, because every story on the escapist has its source linked at the bottom.
That's a very good point. *Sigh* Oh well...

Hand-E-Food

Mar 19, 2009
The article's dated "2 April 2011 1:51 am", not April Fools Day. Mind you that's probably a time-zone thing. But here's a similar article dated "Mar 31|03:11": http://www.dasreviews.com/das-game-news/z-the-game-remake-comes-to-apple-mac-iphone-ipad-ipod-touch-pc-android-devices-and-blackberry-tab/

I always thought the game was mediocre, but if it's $5 on iPhone, I'll buy that. It was still fun.

ffs-dontcare

Aug 13, 2009
Since it's being developed for multiple platforms at once, I'm kind of skeptical about how it will turn out. As a huge fan of the old Z (I still have it!), it would be a shame if they messed it up by trying to do too much.