Zynga Introduces Retail Game Cards For FarmVille

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
BULLDOGG33 said:
CORRODED SIN said:
With this today and the news the other day about EA selling games in pieces, I'm about to give on the future of gaming. I think I'll time lock my gaming in everything up to March 16, 2010.
The future of gaming does look bad. We have hit the point that most publishers are more worried about how much money they can get from us instead of catering to the gamer. Oh well back to playing my Sega Genesis :)

On topic: I dont know much about these games but this just looks like a money grab to me.
We can't call them Cash Cows anymore because they are getting small with microtransactions and the like, so I suggest we call them Cash Calves.

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
What the hell does this mean for any of us here who have actually been here for more than two days? This is not newsworthy in the least. Why is the Escapist catering to people who won't come back here after March Mayhem is over? Farmville is not a real game and it should not be worthy of any press coverage here on an actual gaming website. I thought this place had better standards

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Silverel said:
Zynga, and it's related games, are not news worthy. Get off the rotten teat, cater to your followers and fanbase...

This place is going to hell... =(
You're welcome to leave. Seriously. We've covered them plenty in the past [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/global/search/?cx=005672590579257297818%3Amkmrjhvsnwa&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=Farmville+more%3Anews&sa=Search&siteurl=www.escapistmagazine.com%252Fglobal%252Fsearch%252F%253Fq%253DFarmville%2526cx%253D005672590579257297818%253Amkmrjhvsnwa%2526cof%253DFORID%253A9%25231193#1161], so I don't know why we'd stop just because you have your knickers in a twist. You really shouldn't presume to talk for our "followers and fanbase" - I expect we know who they are a lot better than the average poster on these forums (who thinks that it's them).

Fox242 said:
What the hell does this mean for any of us here who have actually been here for more than two days?
What it means is that this is an area of the industry that, while generally ignored as "real gaming", is becoming increasingly large and publicly recognized. Think of it this way: A game on Facebook is large enough in its own right to not only start producing game cards, but also to get them sold in major retailers. It's not easy to get a product into these kinds of stores, and this is a significant enough event to notice.

It has at least as much significance as free-to-play MMO's testing the Kwedit system [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99294-Free-to-Play-MMOGs-Testing-Kwedit-Score-System].

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Zyng is a cancer on the face of the internet. They are nothing but spammers and scammers, and admitted they would organ harvest orphans if there was money in it.

Broady Brio

Jun 28, 2009
I play Mafia Wars on my Facebook. Doesn't mean I will spend money on this.

It's not worth it, you can get Reward points for free by levelling up.

asdasdasdasda

Oct 17, 2009
John Funk said:
I would be more than willing to bet that many of the Escapist regulars play FarmVille et al and just don't say anything because of the ridiculous attitudes on display against anyone who dares to enjoy a filthy casual game.
I don't think that it's cause it's a casual game, more that they're just cheap rehashes of other games and are admitted (and from the youtube on the escapist news article, more like bragging about it) scammers.

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
Virgil said:
Silverel said:
Zynga, and it's related games, are not news worthy. Get off the rotten teat, cater to your followers and fanbase...

You're welcome to leave. Seriously. We've covered them plenty in the past [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/global/search/?cx=005672590579257297818%3Amkmrjhvsnwa&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=Farmville+more%3Anews&sa=Search&siteurl=www.escapistmagazine.com%252Fglobal%252Fsearch%252F%253Fq%253DFarmville%2526cx%253D005672590579257297818%253Amkmrjhvsnwa%2526cof%253DFORID%253A9%25231193#1161], so I don't know why we'd stop just because you have your knickers in a twist. You really shouldn't presume to talk for our "followers and fanbase" - I expect we know who they are a lot better than the average poster on these forums (who thinks that it's them).

Fox242 said:
What the hell does this mean for any of us here who have actually been here for more than two days?
What it means is that this is an area of the industry that, while generally ignored as "real gaming", is becoming increasingly large and publicly recognized. Think of it this way: A game on Facebook is large enough in its own right to not only start producing game cards, but also to get them sold in major retailers. It's not easy to get a product into these kinds of stores, and this is a significant enough event to notice.

It has at least as much significance as free-to-play MMO's testing the Kwedit system [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99294-Free-to-Play-MMOGs-Testing-Kwedit-Score-System].
Oh, I guess there has been coverage of Zynga before and, thankfully, most of it appears to be neagtive. I may have mispoken. You didn't report me for that last post did you? I'm kind of living in an agonizing terror that I may get banned before my probhation is up.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I suppose it was the natural progression...the question is how many people are actually going to go deeper into the spiral that is Farmville and its evil..

siddif

Aug 11, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Zynga Introduces Retail Game Cards For FarmVille

You can now buy online currency for use in Zynga games like FarmVille at retail outlets like 7-Eleven and GameStop.

Many players of FarmVille don't participate in purchasing items for their farm because they are uncomfortable sending credit card information over the interwaves.

The pre-paid cards will come in $10 and $25 denominations and are available for the games FarmVille, Mafia Wars and YoVille. The cards are specific to the game, i.e. you can't use Mafia Wars cash in YoVille. You can redeem the cards directly on Facebook, or at zynga.com.

I dont buy Zynga cash or anything like this because i find it hard justifying real money for virtual items that not only are merely cosmetic or time saving but with the fuel (the only decent item) its gone within a week and requires to be rebought again and again.

Last time i spent real money on things like this was way back when IMVU was popular and that was only mobile phone credit...

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
AndyFromMonday said:
Not worthy news but I suppose the Zynga fanboys will get an erection the moment they see this.
How'd you know this is what was happening to me. Go Zynga.

Pirce

Nov 5, 2008
Uggggghhhhhhhh, if people are going to insist on getting their "social" networking in video games, then could they at least get Yasuhiro Wada to make an app(or whatever you call facebook...things) so it will be decent? I don't think it too much to ask.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
John Funk said:
Silverel said:

Eighty million people disagree with you. Seeing as how Zynga was quite the buzz at GDC, so would many game developers.

I would be more than willing to bet that many of the Escapist regulars play FarmVille et al and just don't say anything because of the ridiculous attitudes on display against anyone who dares to enjoy a filthy casual game.
I don't I never will. I tried restaurant city, and It's boring. I find all the farmville crap getting spammed onto my blackberry to be incredibly annoying. I'll stick to Peggle, ktnxbye!

messy

Dec 3, 2008
I'm not angry at the company
I'm not angry at the consumers
I'm not angry at facebook

I'm angry at myself for being surprised by this.

But hey if people want to spend there money on this and it gives people an inkling into the video game world I suppose it's all right.

Although there CEO(I think CEO) admitting to scammer http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96024-Zynga-CEO-Admits-to-Being-a-Scammer

And there was this as well
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96310-Zynga-Sued-Over-Deceptive-Advertising

So this doesn't taste that good in my mouth all the same

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Silverel said:

The Escapist staff can report on whatever they want. It is their site not ours. If you don't like it here than leave, no one is forcing you to stay here.

On Topic: I never really noticed any of those game cards in stores before.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
Wait? people actually pay money for these games? I thought they were just cheap ways of passing time. How exactly does this payment work?

Computer-Noob

Mar 21, 2009
OmegaXIII said:
I find this a lil disturbing that people care that much about their virtual farm
I find it disturbing that you don't already have one D=

Seriously people, get over it. More people are playing this than most of the games you actively play put together. You can judge it all you want, saying that it isnt a real game, but its hard to make such a statement convincing, or even make it matter in the first place, when they have a fanbase of 80 million people. And I'd imagine that the majority of them are just people who are actively on facebook, and play from time to time while chatting with friends. That hardly qualifies as a "fanboy".