Zynga : "Let Alec Play"

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
So basically, he acted like a five year old who was used to getting their own way all the time?

Nice. Remind me to not respect him or Zynga in the future.

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
I've never liked Alec Baldwin. And I commend the airline for doing what they did. He was asked to turn off the device, as they were preparing to take off, and he through a hissy-fit because "he's famous". I'll admit a little bias, as my mother works for American. But that doesn't change the fact that he got what he deserved.

And for anyone trying to defend his outbursts, well, here's this.

Disclaimer: This whole thing could be staged/fake/whatever. But as far as I know, it isn't and Mr. Baldwin is just a douche.

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
Honestly, what is he, four years old? *disgusted face*

Also, Zynga is apparently run by adolescent monkeys.

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
Sorry, Baldwin. If you're gonna fly with the "rest of us", you've gotta follow the rules like the "rest of us". You don't think some other people were enjoying their various favorite cell phone games too?

Yet another example of celebrity status going to someone's head.

And Zynga shows once again the outrageously defensive attitude of the gaming industry and culture. I don't care if he was acting that way over a game or even your game, there is no excuse for Baldwin's behavior. Plus, in this case it's not like anyone's blaming the game anyway, or stop playing it because Baldwin got all pissy over it. This is the opposite of what any sane dev would do.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Even airlines own employees have to follow these rules.

I mean, was it REALLY so difficult for him to turn his phone off, like every other rational human being, for 10 minutes?

"You don't understand. I'm Alec Baldwin. These rules only apply to inferior creatures like the rest of humanity."

I love how he calls out American Airlines for their policy... when EVERY airline has the exact same policy concerning phones during take-off and landings.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Grey Carter said:
While the idea that using your phone, laptop or DS during take off will cause the plane to come hurtling back to earth in a terrifying fireball has been dismissed as an urban myth [http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/27/disruptions-fliers-must-turn-off-devices-but-its-not-clear-why/], the Federal Aviation Administration still it takes it very seriously. Airlines caught ignoring the policy - and yes, the FAA does check - can be given massive fines. That's why airlines insist you turn your phone off, it's not because they hate fun. Well, okay, maybe some of them do.
The NY Times article is missing significant information. The international rules for air safety, which the FAA enforce, state that you have to account for risks that can occur up to 12 million to 1 chance. You also have to prove that those risks to by research. NY Times can make all the assumptions it likes but it won't protect the Airline from a multibillion dollar class action lawsuit. You have to back those assumptions with peer reviewed facts. When you you are dealing risk in the order of 12 million to 1 that research is expensive and time consuming and would have to be done for each model of airliner in service. Its simpler, cheaper and safer for all concerned just turn of the phone.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
Grey Carter said:
Archemetis said:
'Celebrity loses shit over game, Zynga in full support.'

Honestly, no matter what I read about that company it always comes across as damning...
Funnily enough, that was my original headline.
You could have also gone with "Company run by assholes gives support to other assholes".

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
Grey Carter said:
When quieried, Zyanga, the developers responsible Words With Friends, responded with image to the right.
And wow... I would have just put the phone away until the stewardess left :p

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
He's Alec Baldwin.

Just wanted to make sure everyone was holding on to reasonable expectations here.

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
People need to turn off their phones & mobile equipment not because of the intervering with electronics. But because instructions are given about safety etc, electronics can only distract. They do not care if it's your first flight, your last flight or you 258th flight. Pay attention to the safety rules is just as much a rule as that you don't stab someone for saying "hi".

Alec throwing a fuss about not beeing able to play his game for (how long does it take?) 5-10 -15 minutes shows that some people are just not getting -why- some things must be done. And then he acts as childish as he did and got put off the plane. Rediculous...