Zynga Responds to Plagiarism Accusations

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Zynga Responds to Plagiarism Accusations

Zynga boss Mark Pincus has responded to those pesky plagiarism accusations with a hearty 'I know you are, but what am I?'

"You should be careful not to throw stones when you live in glass towers," said Pincus, when asked about the ever-so-slightly-snarky open letter Zynga received from Tiny Tower developer, Nimblebit, last week. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115475-Indy-Dev-Calls-Zynga-Out-Over-Plagiarism] The letter quite politely pointed out that Zynga's upcoming Dream heights is essentially a marginally-less aesthetically-pleasing bootleg of Nimblebit's successful Tiny Tower.

"When you pull the lens back, you saw that their tower game looked similar to five other tower games going all the way back to SimTower in the early 1990s," Pincus continued.

Now, Tiny Tower does resemble OpenbooK's Sim Tower: The Vertical Empire at first-glance, but Nimblebit co-founder Ian Marsh is having none of it.

"It was a smart idea for Mark Pincus and Zynga to try and lump all games with the name 'Tower' together as an actual genre whose games borrow from each other," he said in an interview with Touch Arcade. "Sharing a name or setting does not a genre make."

To be fair, Pincus doesn't really try to deny Nimblebit's accusations, instead he seems to be arguing that raw innovation isn't all it's cracked up to be.

"Google didn't create the first search engine. Apple didn't create the first mp3 player or tablet. And, Facebook didn't create the first social network," said one internal memo penned by Pincus. "But these companies have evolved products and categories in revolutionary ways. They are all internet treasures because they all have specific and broad missions to change the world."

Of course, this design philosophy didn't stop the social-gaming giant from suing Brazilian developer Vostu over a series of blatant rip-offs based on Zynga games. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114573-Zynga-and-Vostu-Bury-the-Axe]

"Good artists borrow, great artists steal," as the famous saying goes. Who wrote that? Oh wait, it was me.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/01/zynga-responds-to-copycat-claims-nimblebit-rebuts/]

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
So...
It's cool cuz everyone else does it, except when people copy your games?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmm, yeah well I'm kind of hoping someone shuts Zynga down soon. These guys have pretty much wallowed in being shady since the very beginnings of their company, I remember reading a lot of articles about them to that effect. When it's done I hope the guys running the company don't manage to walk away from it with anything.

Looking at the situation with Nimblebit and Vostu and their entire attitude that these two differant, but oddly related, cases... it's just plain wrong. I can't believe anyone has that much audacity and manages to get away with it.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
He makes some good points there. Doesn't change the fact that he's a douche who screws anyone in order to get money though.

Edit: I just saw the linked article and I must say that he's not one to talk about throwing rocks in glass towers.

Feb 13, 2008
Complete the quotation below then Zynga:

"Good artists borrow, great artists steal, ________ artists pirate".

Just so we know where you stand.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
You know what, Mark Pincus? Well played. I believe this one is a win for you.

Zynga's only mistake was not ripping off enough other games at the same time. As the wise old saying goes:

Copy one work and it's 'plagiarism'. Copy many, and it's 'research'.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Raithnor said:
Translation:

F*** you, we have money.
With the lawsuits they have running right now, this appears to be the most correct statement.

Linkmeanie

Oct 20, 2010
I was interested however to see that many of the adverts in my free version of words with friends were for Tiny Tower.

Though I only started using it around the time of NimbleBit calling shenanigans on Zynga, so it may have always advertised it.

Roserari

Jul 11, 2011
"Boss, someone is claiming we copied their game!"
"Not at all, we're merely innovating on an already established genre"
"Boss, someone is copying our games!"
"Sue their fucking pants off, stealing sons of bitches!"

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
RoseArch said:
"Boss, someone is claiming we copied their game!"
"Not at all, we're merely innovating on an already established genre"
"Boss, someone is copying our games!"
"Sue their fucking pants off, stealing sons of bitches!"
This.

And since that's not a long enough post, seriously....that's just messed up. They're basically not even trying to deny it but know that in the end, no one's really going to care. It'll have to be a huge lawsuit from like all of the people they've stolen from together to finally get anything done.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Who can argue with the great Lobochevsky?

In all seriousness, I honestly don't care 'oo copied 'oo, I'm still waiting for someone to make a proper successor to SimTower; I loved that game back in the day, and it needs a sequel.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
"Hey man, it's alright if I pirate game, resell them as my idea and then hurt other developers because I'm successful and have money. But if those pesky normal people do that with my games, then fuck them and sue them because they hurt us poor developers."

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Grey Carter said:
"Google didn't create the first search engine. Apple didn't create the first mp3 player or tablet. And, Facebook didn't create the first social network," said one internal memo penned by Pincus. "But these companies have evolved products and categories in revolutionary ways. They are all internet treasures because they all have specific and broad missions to change the world."
He doesn't seem to notice that while these companies made their mark by building on what others did in new and novel ways, Zynga hasn't really done any of that. You can't say that you're flat out copying of games whole hog with no substantive changes is the same as other successful companies building innovating on top of an existing platform. At least not if you want anyone to take you seriously. When Zynga decides to actually start doing that then I probably won't hate them nearly as much.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Who can argue with the great Lobochevsky?

In all seriousness, I honestly don't care 'oo copied 'oo, I'm still waiting for someone to make a proper successor to SimTower; I loved that game back in the day, and it needs a sequel.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
"Good artists borrow, great artists steal,"

- And lousy artists copy screen by screen.

The thing that matters is if they added something significant. I don't think reskin counts in this case.

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
i said it looks kinda like sim tower....

but oh good, has he even seen sim tower? it has the same setting.
their bs on the other hand is a mere reskin.