Conflict between Palestine and Israel escalates

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
An IDF tank killed 5 IDF soldiers and injured 7 more in a 'friendly fire' incident in Jabalia, when it attacked a building they were occupying. Wasn't even during a battle.

And we're supposed to believe that all necessary precautions are being taken to avoid unnecessary/civilian casualties...? The IDF only acknowledges these incidents when they involve their own people (or else very high profile organisations like the UN... and even then only sometimes).
Zionists lie about everything, so it's possible that this is just a successful Qassam brigade strike.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
It's a small step in the right direction. The problem is that Democrats, fringe Republicans, and some independents agree with Palestinians not being killed en mass. Still, there's the median voter who is likely a white guy in his 40s to 50s doesn't.

The problem with people is they support the protests of history, but not today. The second problem is that the leniency of Israel's foreign policy actions was due to the holocaust, but leniency is and always has been a loophole. An eye for an eye is both a good deterrent and a seemingly fair punishment but it is not a good way to do policy. This is beyond the pale.

Edit: Another problem is that high prices mean people work longer, and people 'keep their heads down' to exert less energy and the smarter ones use political heuristics, college students and academics are sort of the exception to this rule hence they are at the core of these protests.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
It's a small step in the right direction. The problem is that Democrats, fringe Republicans, and some independents agree with Palestinians not being killed en mass. Still, there's the median voter who is likely a white guy in his 40s to 50s doesn't.

The problem with people is they support the protests of history, but not today. The second problem is that the leniency of Israel's foreign policy actions was due to the holocaust, but leniency is and always has been a loophole. An eye for an eye is both a good deterrent and a seemingly fair punishment but it is not a good way to do policy. This is beyond the pale.

Edit: Another problem is that high prices mean people work longer, and people 'keep their heads down' to exert less energy and the smarter ones use political heuristics, college students and academics are sort of the exception to this rule hence they are at the core of these protests.
A small step my ass

Biden said "Hey, don't invade Rafah! or I'll stop sending you weapons!". Israel invaded Rafah. Biden said "I said no malarky mister! I'm stopping the weapon shipments!!!" Then less than a week later, he is setting up to send them more shipments of weapons.

That is maybe a small step but it's a small step backwards. Just another empty threat where Biden says he's super mad at his bestie Israel and then does jack shit about it.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom

^ Details of the treatment of prisoners in Israeli prisons since 7th October, thousands of whom are detained without charge, attested by numerous international rights groups, lawyers and survivor testimony.

Sleep deprivation; rubber bullets and tear gas; medical deprivation, including someone dying due to the denial of insulin for diabetes; routine beatings; dog attacks. In short, a fucking epidemic of unchecked abuse and torture, both nationally and internationally illegal but tacitly approved by authorities.

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Had to read almost every damn one of the books he published in the oughts, on account of my university classload. Had the chance to go to a guest lecture by him on on the Israel-Palestine conflict and meet him, but turned it down. Still kicking myself for that.

He's still a Damn Dirty Rooskie Propagandist though, and should be ignored and the complete opposite of everything he says should be accepted as absolute truth.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
The head prosecutor of the ICC, Karim Khan, is now seeking arrest warrants for;

Netanyahu;
Yoav Gallant, Israeli Defence Minister;
Yahya Sinwar, head of Hamas in Gaza;
Mohammed Deif, Hamas military commander;
Ismail Haniyeh, Chairman of Hamas political bureau.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America

Netanyahu;

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Wait, so they acknowledge that the move has a far greater impact on Israeli leaders than Hamas, and that it is of no practical consequence to Hamas, but simultaneously argue that it's far harsher to Hamas than Israel? Am I getting that right?

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Wait, so they acknowledge that the move has a far greater impact on Israeli leaders than Hamas, and that it is of no practical consequence to Hamas, but simultaneously argue that it's far harsher to Hamas than Israel? Am I getting that right?
practical consequence, justification, precedent and consistency of application are indeed different things, yes.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
practical consequence, justification, precedent and consistency of application are indeed different things, yes.
This is true, though I suspect you know as well as I do that to request a warrant for the Israeli PM and not the perpetrators of 7th October would annihilate the Court's International standing and credibility, and along with it any hope of accomplishing its aims-- including those concerning Netanyahu and Gallant.

Reactions: Satinavian

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Netanyahu;
And what do they expect to achieve with this beyond making performative noises? There’s no organisation that can go into Israel or Gaza to arrest any of these people and none of them will have reason or be stupid enough to go to a foreign country that would action the warrant.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
And what do they expect to achieve with this beyond making performative noises? There’s no organisation that can go into Israel or Gaza to arrest any of these people and none of them will have reason or be stupid enough to go to a foreign country that would action the warrant.
As my mother would say, instead of wagging a finger at them, this time, they're wagging two fingers.

Though, not like they can do anything more.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Making it basically impossible for leading politicians to travel much of the world is already quite an achievement. It also makes it harder in many countries to continue supporting a government made of wanted criminals or to pretend that Israel is doing nothing wrong.

There might also be secondary rules in various organizations and companies that forbid certain interaction with wanted war criminals.