Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I disagree slightly with that. To me, Martin was really the protagonist, in the sense that we were supposed to support him and his trying to hold back Ethan from giving into his worser instincts. The ending also indicated to me that on some level, Ethan knew that he had crossed a line, because he knows there is no place for him at home with his family anymore. I also thought they did a decent job showing that while the enemy was the bad guy, he was also not so different from Ethan in several ways, being basically what Ethan was close to becoming due to his prejudices.
I get where you're coming from and Martin is more relatable between the two (How he treated that native woman he got accidentally engaged to aside) and I get the equivalence it draws between Ethan and Scar, the Comanche chief. It just all resolved way too conveniently for me. I'm fine that we're not being spoonfed with when and why exactly he decided to take pity on Debbie after all, but even aside from that, the way she just went home with them when previously it was made clear that she had mostly assimilated into the tribe and considerem them her family... I don't know, I feel like a lot of what makes this kind of story interesting was glossed over too much.

Yeah but it was already pretty challenging of conventions for its time. Any remake today woud be "just another remake" and it would not have the impact it did in 1956.

It's cool you're watching this stuff, I love it.
You're saying that, but honestly, take another classic John Wayne Western, True Grit. The remake with Jeff Bridges absolutely stands on its own.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
You're saying that, but honestly, take another classic John Wayne Western, True Grit. The remake with Jeff Bridges absolutely stands on its own.
The True Grit remake was fine but who else besides us dorks remembers it? The Searchers is one of those movies- influential, beloved, etc. I'm making one of those "for its time" pleas- it handled the issues you're talking about pretty boldly "for its time." I'm not inherently opposed to a remake but I also understand no one wanting to touch it. I honestly dunno who I'd trust with that today.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Pretty sure True Grit was a novel before it was a movie meaning you're just looking at two separate adaptations.
And it's a good one. The Coens' version is closer to the book but they still deviate here and there.

The original True Grit is great but didn't have the stomach to pull a melancholy ending. Which is fine, by the way.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Mutant Mayhem

Fantastic art direction, really great voice acting and action, and pretty good writing. For the first time I've seen in a movie the teenage mutant ninja turtles actually sound and act like teenagers.

Overall really great, I highly enjoyed it, and I'm disappointed I slept on this movie and didn't watch it in theaters. I saw the trailer for it during Across the Spiderverse, but ended up completely forgetting the movie existed until I noticed it out on Amazon prime.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Mutant Mayhem

Fantastic art direction, really great voice acting and action, and pretty good writing. For the first time I've seen in a movie the teenage mutant ninja turtles actually sound and act like teenagers.

Overall really great, I highly enjoyed it, and I'm disappointed I slept on this movie and didn't watch it in theaters. I saw the trailer for it during Across the Spiderverse, but ended up completely forgetting the movie existed until I noticed it out on Amazon prime.
My kids fucking loved this movie. It didn’t quite hit me where I live but I already got my perfect TNMT movie in like 1994 so I’m sitting pretty. But yeah, art design is top notch.

As for acting like teenagers, sure I’ll pay it but I’d argue that most versions - except the 86 cartoon - act like some variety of teenager; even if they trend towards older (19 is still a teenager but it’s a gulf of difference to say, 15) variations. I think the Nikelodeon cartoon did them pretty good as teenagers too.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
My kids fucking loved this movie. It didn’t quite hit me where I live but I already got my perfect TNMT movie in like 1994 so I’m sitting pretty. But yeah, art design is top notch.

As for acting like teenagers, sure I’ll pay it but I’d argue that most versions - except the 86 cartoon - act like some variety of teenager; even if they trend towards older (19 is still a teenager but it’s a gulf of difference to say, 15) variations. I think the Nikelodeon cartoon did them pretty good as teenagers too.
Most of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movies portray the turtles as teenagers in the same way that Jotaro and Kakyoin are teenagers.

1715132930626.png

These are two 17 year old boys.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Most of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movies portray the turtles as teenagers in the same way that Jotaro and Kakyoin are teenagers.

View attachment 11141

These are two 17 year old boys.
This was also during the eighties, where everything had to be muscular and rated M for manly. Funny enough, Joseph Joestar Looks younger than his grandson at that age. In Part 2, Joe was 19 at the time and looked younger.

As for the TMNT movies, I'd say the first live action film got them down pretty decently in terms of being teenagers. What trend I have noticed since the 2003 version is that Michelangelo acts the most teen out of all of them. Rise of TMNT, they act like super hyperactive teens coked up on sugar and energy drinks.

Last edited:

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
This was also during the eighties, where everything had to be muscular and rated M for manly. Funny enough, Joseph Joestar Looks younger than his grandson at that age. In Part 2, Joe was 19 at the time and looked younger.

As for the TMNT movies, I'd say the first live action film got them down pretty decently in terms of being teenagers. What trend I have noticed since the 2003 version is that michelangelo acts the most teen like out of all of them. Rise of TMNT, them an act like super hyperactive teens coked up on sugar and energy drinks.
I don't really think Joseph looked younger, he just smiled more and looked less serious.

1715134307707.png

I feel like the ninja turtles in the first live action film acted more like the early 20s stoner/surfer stereotype than like actual teenagers, and that's true of a lot of the ninja turtles media.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't really think Joseph looked younger, he just smiled more and looked less serious.
He does to me. Muscular, but a lot leaner in comparison to his grandson. I'm more so referring to the anime adaption. In the original manga, he almost looks identical to Jonathan, other than hairstyle.

feel like the ninja turtles in the first live action film acted more like the early 20s stoner/surfer stereotype than like actual teenagers, and that's true of a lot of the ninja turtles media.
Like I said before, it was a decent attempt at the time. You are right for the most part. It really wasn't until TMNT 2012, Rise, and MM where they take on actual teen aspects, and not feel like late teens/early 20s something.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Cliffhanger

Sly's action comeback after trying his hand at comedy (he dropped out of a John Hughes movie that would've paired him with John Candy). The production form this movie would make for a fun documentary. This was when everybody was trying to do "Die Hard in X" (like Die Hard on a boat or Die Hard in a theme park). Well this was originally "Die Hard in a hurricane" before production went over budget and the cast and crew jumped ship to make "Die Hard on a mountain", which also ended up going over budget too. To the point where the movie killed at the box office yet somehow the studio barely saw any gross. Go figure. And who better to direct than the man behind the second Die Hard (and fourth Freddy Krueger)?

On its own the movie is a decent, sometimes exciting action thriller about a series of highly ridiculous scenarios that are shot as realistically as possible, including what is apparently the most expensive aerial stunt in movie history (a dude actually rappels between two flying planes - eat your heart out, Nolan). There're also a couple of gnarly kills whenever simply throwing a bad guy off a cliff won't do, like Sly suplexing someone into a stalactite (the hanging down kind) and riding another poor bastard downhill like a sleigh while grinding his face against the mountainside.

But if I have to compare it to Die Hard - yeah, no. The writing and the editing aren't anywhere near that level. There's a lot of downtime between the big set-pieces that feels like the movie's looking for ways to kill time. Scenes drag and repeat. There's a lot o pointless bickering and in-fighting that doesn't pay off. The editing also is very spotty. Characters disappear for huge chunks of the movie, then reappear inexplicably (or don't). POV is divides across several characters and there's no rhyme or reason as to where someone might show up next. And at one point Sly pulls out a gun I'm not sure where the hell he got it from.

Ultimately though it's also missing a sense of humor (Sly is such a badass he doesn't need one, basically) and a better rapport between the hero and the villain, who is doing the same Euro trash shtick Gruber did but the contrast with the hero's cowboy antics simply isn't there.

Also I can't believe this is where that scene from Ace Ventura 2 comes from.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
To be fair, did anyone look like a teenager back then?

In the 90's action heroes needed to look buff, which meant even teenagers resulted in looking like adults. You look at Peter Parker from Spider-Man: The Animated Series and he looks like he's in his 30's eventhough he's supposed to be 19 or something.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

In the 90's action heroes needed to look buff, which meant even teenagers resulted in looking like adults. You look at Peter Parker from Spider-Man: The Animated Series and he looks like he's in his 30's eventhough he's supposed to be 19 or something.
I thought he was a buff 20s something person, when I was at the age of four.

Last edited:

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Pop quiz, hotshot. What do you get when you take a series known for terrible sequels, then rush a sequel through production in order to maintain the rights to the series?

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica

Peter Parker from Spider-man the Animated series looks like that as an homage to The Amazing Spiderman from 1977.

1715207477509.png

In that Spider-man was an adult finishing college I believe (so around 21). Also, everyone prior to the 1990s looked old for their age, mostly because of all the smoking and pollution.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America