Discuss and Rate the Last Thing You Watched (non-movies)

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
More or less, yeah, but I believe it was the intent of the creators to do a sci-fi show (with something like 7 times the budget of Dr Who, though that isn't saying much), put it on at the same timeslot in Britain, and take sci-fi fans from the BBC. Which, needless to say, didn't work.
No I agree. I like the ideas behind Space 1999 but a competitor for Dr. Who? In 1975 when Tom Baker had been on screens for just over a year to *sear* himself into the psyche of a generation as THE Doctor? They were fucking dreaming.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Katt Williams: Woke Foke: No / Great

Latest Netflix standup special from "comedian" Katt Williams.

I have never liked Katt Williams; I find him simply obnoxious in just about every way imaginable, so it's my fault that I turned on Netflix, saw it was available, and chose to watch it. As usual, he is grating both aurally and comedically. Entirely unfunny with his signature pretentiousness, p*ssy jokes, and generous sprinkling about of the "N" word. He clearly sees himself as the smartest man in most rooms, and he's quick to let you know as often as his stale and tired brand of humor allows him to inject his smugness.

I love standup comedy, and will usually try to find something redeeming about a performance I'm not loving, but this one? Just no. I don't think I ever so much as cracked a smile let alone laughed.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The Antisocial Network: Memes To Mayhem: Had No Idea / Great

A documentary about the evolution of the American clone of an early Japanese online social network, and how it and its progeny and myriad iterations would come to shape the world of online hacking and misinformation we know today, and how it snowballed into the real world.

This story is probably nothing new to a lot of you, but it was brand spanking new to me. Most of my adult life, I've ignored a lot of whatever causes a buzz on the internet, particularly in forums where discourse quickly descends into argument. So I had no idea of the interconnectedness of "4Chan" and "Anonymous" and "Gamer Gate" and the chain of events started decades ago that has played a massive role in bringing us to where we, as a society, are today. It truly is a tale of the creation of a monster: a group of lonely strangers hopped online for low-stakes mischief a couple of decades ago, then fast-forward: January 6th, 2021. It was also telling to see it put so concisely in an hour and 20 minutes how easily led and delusional people can be and are. Some disturbing and saddening shit.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Dark Matter Apple TV +
Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in! I'm spending too much on multiple streaming services and dropped Apple when my daughter says, "but Dad! They're making a show about my all time favorite book!!!" So, I got Apple TV + again to watch the 1st 2 episodes of "Dark Matter" and... I'm loving it!

Hits me in the sweet spot. Ever since Flash discovered Earth 2, I've loved the idea of multiple realities. I bought Spiderman No Way Home digital. Fringe is a major binge property.

And here, we have a scientist kidnapped by himself from another reality. MY JAM. Next episode (3) comes out 5/15. Can't wait. A+

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Yeah, I mean is that it? He just changed it from Folk to Foke so... it'll look the same as Woke?
If it's any indication, that's probably the most clever part of his entire set. The rest is just as if a crying infant was able to articulate language while still red-faced crying and liberally used of the "N" word while walking the same old streets of racial stereotypes. Just bad from start to finish. I can't help but imagine the average IQ of his fanbase qualifies as borderline retarded (and I use that word in the very clinical sense, not the flippantly disrespectful one.)

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Them: The Scare

After four of eight total episodes, I’m equally as intrigued as I am disturbed. There is practically no humor herein and that’s intentional, because this feels like a horror flick disguised as a meditative piece on the kind of long-form psychological trauma caused by familial dysfunction and emotional neglect. It follows in parallel both a very fragile black male youth and a black female South Central LA homicide detective investigating a series of inhumanely brutal killings that takes cues from Sinister and It Follows, but applies a heavy layer of racial overtones to help ground it in reality; of the 1991 variety, which was a pretty intense time for that area. I really hope the latest development is just a red herring to the mystery that’s been well-threaded so far.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
This is pretty short, but I thought it was really creepy:

(Until there's actual talking, that sorta spoils it). Though, you might need a specific amount of Dr Who knowledge, in particular the original cybermen lore.

Reactions: gorfias
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Them: The Scare

After four of eight total episodes, I’m equally as intrigued as I am disturbed. There is practically no humor herein and that’s intentional, because this feels like a horror flick disguised as a meditative piece on the kind of long-form psychological trauma caused by familial dysfunction and emotional neglect. It follows in parallel both a very fragile black male youth and a black female South Central LA homicide detective investigating a series of inhumanely brutal killings that takes cues from Sinister and It Follows, but applies a heavy layer of racial overtones to help ground it in reality; of the 1991 variety, which was a pretty intense time for that area. I really hope the latest development is just a red herring to the mystery that’s been well-threaded so far.

Finished it. Nice little surprise at the end and the twist was serviceable if not somewhat predictable with the way these two lead characters were paralleled. I’d say the timelines were a bigger surprise. Looking forward to see how a third season would play out, but I hope the supernatural stuff is used more sparingly because it’d gotten a bit thick towards then end.

Reactions: gorfias

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
More or less, yeah, but I believe it was the intent of the creators to do a sci-fi show (with something like 7 times the budget of Dr Who, though that isn't saying much), put it on at the same timeslot in Britain, and take sci-fi fans from the BBC. Which, needless to say, didn't work.
A a reminder, this was their previous attempt to beat Dr Who

And because that intro makes no sense, yeh basically magical space kids vs alien invaders

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Clarkson's Farm: Season 3

If you have any interest in or knowledge of agriculture, and enjoy seeing a goat kick Jeremy Clarkson in the balls... this could be pretty good watch. But, the novelty of an extremely wealthy moron buying a farm and making mistake after mistake knowing he's rich enough to tank even having to write off the whole property... is wearing pretty thin. I'm not exactly sure his rapidly aging body can tank enough goat kicks to the balls to make any further seasons worth watching. But for the right viewer, this one is still fun. Now, on to Outer Range: Season 2.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Reacher

I got turned onto this show by hearing folks on streams and such sort of ragging on it and sort of loving it. I been in the mood for some old-school style tough guy ass-kicking nonsense so I checked this out and... yep, my god, is it that.

This is a very bad dumb not good show. I do NOT recommend it. But I am enjoying it because I guess I hate myself.

Imagine what Steven Seagal sees himself as- this hulking MAN that says little and gleefully beats the shit out of everyone that looks at him crossways but he's justified somehow. He has a military record that makes Rambo look like a pussy. His observational and investigative prowess puts Sherlock Holmes to shame (he even does that thing where he'll tell another character all sorts of detail about his life that he inferred from his clothes and body language).

The worst part is that he's emotionally stunted but that just makes him so sexy to the lead woman character, who also tells him multiple times that she's a strong woman.
Because yes it's also one of those shows where people just say the theme. "I know you like black coffee because cream and sugar are bullshit and you don't like bullshit." lol who talks like that.

The woman is tough! The one black guy is uptight and stiff and nerdy! There is racism in the south did you even know?! Every episode has a scene where someone tells Reacher to do something he doesn't want to and he pauses and says "no" and it's the best part of every episode.

In order to match the singular awesomeness of Reacher, the villainous conspiracy is so absolutely preposterous and convoluted because it's the only way give our heroes something to go up against.

I am just in the mood for this nonsense. I knew exactly when our sexy leads would finally bang. I know when every dead body is gonna show up.

One of my favorite moments in the Witcher 3 Blood and Wine DLC is when a bunch of bandits attack and Geralt says something like "why do these guys insist on fighting a well-armed witcher?" and I'm like... yeah, this has happened 300x this whole game and we're just noticing this lol? Well that is twice every episode of Reacher when some dumbass picks a fight with Reacher, a dude who looks like John Cena.

He even walks like a dufus- I swear, he walks like he just learned how. What a meathead. He's not even a good actor- seriously, he's supposed to be stoic or cool and he's just dumb. The other actors are ok but it's not as if they're working with good scripts so I don't hold it against them. But the title character actor I can't even imagine him being good in anything, he has the charisthma of a protein shake.

If there were any new videa game that captured my interest I'd be playing that but I guess I'm more interested in watching this nonsense. It really is the ultimate good-bad.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Reacher

I got turned onto this show by hearing folks on streams and such sort of ragging on it and sort of loving it. I been in the mood for some old-school style tough guy ass-kicking nonsense so I checked this out and... yep, my god, is it that.

This is a very bad dumb not good show. I do NOT recommend it. But I am enjoying it because I guess I hate myself.

Imagine what Steven Seagal sees himself as- this hulking MAN that says little and gleefully beats the shit out of everyone that looks at him crossways but he's justified somehow. He has a military record that makes Rambo look like a pussy. His observational and investigative prowess puts Sherlock Holmes to shame (he even does that thing where he'll tell another character all sorts of detail about his life that he inferred from his clothes and body language).

The worst part is that he's emotionally stunted but that just makes him so sexy to the lead woman character, who also tells him multiple times that she's a strong woman.
Because yes it's also one of those shows where people just say the theme. "I know you like black coffee because cream and sugar are bullshit and you don't like bullshit." lol who talks like that.

The woman is tough! The one black guy is uptight and stiff and nerdy! There is racism in the south did you even know?! Every episode has a scene where someone tells Reacher to do something he doesn't want to and he pauses and says "no" and it's the best part of every episode.

In order to match the singular awesomeness of Reacher, the villainous conspiracy is so absolutely preposterous and convoluted because it's the only way give our heroes something to go up against.

I am just in the mood for this nonsense. I knew exactly when our sexy leads would finally bang. I know when every dead body is gonna show up.

One of my favorite moments in the Witcher 3 Blood and Wine DLC is when a bunch of bandits attack and Geralt says something like "why do these guys insist on fighting a well-armed witcher?" and I'm like... yeah, this has happened 300x this whole game and we're just noticing this lol? Well that is twice every episode of Reacher when some dumbass picks a fight with Reacher, a dude who looks like John Cena.

He even walks like a dufus- I swear, he walks like he just learned how. What a meathead. He's not even a good actor- seriously, he's supposed to be stoic or cool and he's just dumb. The other actors are ok but it's not as if they're working with good scripts so I don't hold it against them. But the title character actor I can't even imagine him being good in anything, he has the charisthma of a protein shake.

If there were any new videa game that captured my interest I'd be playing that but I guess I'm more interested in watching this nonsense. It really is the ultimate good-bad.
You should read the books; Reacher can’t go anywhere without tripping over and landing in some hot chick or outrageous sinister criminal plot. Both of which he takes care of with due diligence. They’re the men’s literature equivalent to Mills and Boon trashy romance novels. Why yes, I’ve read most of them, why do you ask?

Reactions: thebobmaster

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
You should read the books; Reacher can’t go anywhere without tripping over and landing in some hot chick or outrageous sinister criminal plot. Both of which he takes care of with due diligence. They’re the men’s literature equivalent to Mills and Boon trashy romance novels. Why yes, I’ve read most of them, why do you ask?
hahah good to know... see with books, I actually have high standards, I just can't read trash, it's too much work. At least with a TV show I can veg out.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
In some ways, primarily the ultimate climax of the season, the show actually downplays how badass Reacher is compared to the book. In the show, he takes out KJ, Roscoe takes out the mayor/sheriff, and Finlay takes out Picard. In the novel, Reacher takes out all 3.