General Movies, Music, Web Show, and TV News Thread

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
*shrug*

It's a fascinating thing to watch unfold because there was so much heated political energy behind the first film. Down to it being anti-woke or whatever. This one however would have to stand on it's own, assuming it's not just going to copy a Star is born or La-la land or something, as the first one largely aped Taxi Driver & The King of comedy.

Personally I didn't ask for this. First one was fine or whatever. This is one I have zero excitement for, but sure if it gets good reviews I may go see it in theaters. On the brightside I won't actually have to be in fear of a theater shooting like I did in seeing the first in Aurora like an oblivious idiot.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Personally I didn't ask for this. First one was fine or whatever. This is one I have zero excitement for, but sure if it gets good reviews I may go see it in theaters. On the brightside I won't actually have to be in fear of a theater shooting like I did in seeing the first in Aurora like an oblivious idiot.
I refuse to see this one and WB can continue to fuck off. I already stated in the past that the movie didn't even need a sequel in the first place. Joker gets a second movie, yet Bat Girl and other IPs get removed for a pathetic tax write off.

Reactions: Piscian

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
*shrug*

It's a fascinating thing to watch unfold because there was so much heated political energy behind the first film. Down to it being anti-woke or whatever. This one however would have to stand on it's own, assuming it's not just going to copy a Star is born or La-la land or something, as the first one largely aped Taxi Driver & The King of comedy.

I refuse to see this one and WB can continue to fuck off. I already stated in the past that the movie didn't even need a sequel in the first place. Joker gets a second movie, yet Bat Girl and other IPs get removed for a pathetic tax write off.
Yes, the first film was fine and I would’ve been happy if it stayed as its own movie, but im curious to see how they are gonna follow up. Personally, I think the reason why Joker worked so well is because of the writing. I think the musical numbers would only be in few. Yes, Gaga can sing, but It'll probably be imaginary moments that happen inside Joker and Harley's heads.

The first Joker movie was also the last film that I watched together with my ex; We ended things after coming out of the theater that night lol

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yes, the first film was fine and I would’ve been happy if it stayed as its own movie, but im curious to see how they are gonna follow up. Personally, I think the reason why Joker worked so well is because of the writing. I think the musical numbers would only be in few. Yes, Gaga can sing, but It'll probably be imaginary moments that happen inside Joker and Harley's heads.
More power to you, nothing against Gaga, I know the musical numbers are going to be imaginary/dream moments, but everything about this feels almost the same, but with Harley added into the mix. I know some of this is me being vindictive, but justifiably so and mainly those at the top in WB. Another part of me is just tired of both Joker and Harley. I like these characters, but they're pushed out too much. I've seen their (abusive) relationship too many times to count, with each version getting more redundant in some fashion.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
More power to you, nothing against Gaga, in know musical numbers are going to be imaginary/dream moments, but everything about this feels almost the same, but with Harley added into the mix. I know some of this is me being vindictive, but justifiably so and mainly those at the top in WB. Another part of me is just tired of both Joker and Harley. I like these characters, but they're pushed out too much. I've seen their (abusive) relationship too many times to count with each version getting redundant in some fashion.
Fair enough. And I agree Joker/Harley relationship has been done to death. But unlike the past Joker portrayals, this joker was different (Anarchy/Chaos-driven vs Pent-up desires). So maybe both Harley and the relationship will be different here as well? It certainly looks way more "mutually romantic" than the past versions we've seen so far

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So maybe both Harley and the relationship will be different here as well? It certainly looks way more "mutually romantic" than the past versions we've seen so far
That's about the only thing I can give this movie, though I am not wasting three hours to find out how mutually romantic it possibly is.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Admittedly I found the Batgirl movie more compelling than this. Michael Keaton as Batman, Brendan Fraser as Firefly? Sign me the fuck up. Of course to make things worse Brendan came out and talked about how sad he was and how hard they worked on it. Way to kick a puppy WB.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Admittedly I found the Batgirl movie more compelling than this. Michael Keaton as Batman, Brendan Fraser as Firefly? Sign me the fuck up. Of course to make things worse Brendan came out and talked about how sad he was and how hard they worked on it. Way to kick a puppy WB.
I am still baffled how cancelling a most complete, modestly budgeted movie about Batgirl as opposed to pulling the plug on The Flash and throwing Ezra Miller out on his arse was the better choice. Like I would love a fucking deep dive on the economic sense of this because I sure as fuck can’t see it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I am still baffled how cancelling a most complete, modestly budgeted movie about Batgirl as opposed to pulling the plug on The Flash and throwing Ezra Miller out on his arse was the better choice. Like I would love a fucking deep dive on the economic sense of this because I sure as fuck can’t see it.
Does there have to be any economic sense? Can't David Zaslav just be a prick?

Reactions: BrawlMan

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I've read that it's safer to make the film about privileged people (cishet, white, male, etc). Not because the film is likely to do better, but because if it's a flop, people won't immediately blame the film-makers for choosing to not do it that way. Charlie's Angels flopped because women (and not all white), but no-one blames John Carter flopping on the gender and race of the cast.

Does there have to be any economic sense? Can't David Zaslav just be a prick?
My shorthand explanation for why a lot of these decisions seem to get made is "cocaine", but that works as well.