The Left calling out The Left for gaslighting people about crime

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Working the 8 hours I'm supposed to work is me doing a shit job?
No, you left out the somewhat important (or perhaps untrue) detail that everyone else stayed half an hour longer than rostered.

- "I'm OK with people shoplifting because wage theft"
- "You can like not let a company steal your wages, I myself don't let the company do that"
- "Saying you do a shit job is a hell of a flex"
- "WTF you guys talking about? Do you want companies to steal wages then? Ya'll make no sense."
Almost like a retail outlet and a hospital are different things.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
If you have 2 kinds of measurement for something (whatever, doesn't matter, crime is what is measured here obviously) for comparison purposes to make sure one isn't significantly off and they have both been close to each other for a good length of time, you then change the way you do one of those measurements and find that there's quite a disconnect between the 2 results. Basic logic will tell you it's most likely the change you made to the one measurement, would it not?

Also what Schadrach said.
Basic logic says there is a flaw in one or both studies. This could be the new study is flawed, or it could be that a flaw was identified in the old studies, which is why the change was made and the results changed. At a surface level, there needs to be information sought out to be make a decision.

Assuming the change was the problem, without any further information is just making poor assumptions on incomplete information.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Basic logic says there is a flaw in one or both studies. This could be the new study is flawed, or it could be that a flaw was identified in the old studies, which is why the change was made and the results changed. At a surface level, there needs to be information sought out to be make a decision.

Assuming the change was the problem, without any further information is just making poor assumptions on incomplete information.
I'm not sure you understand the situation. There are three things for comparison mentioned in the first post: a survey of people across the country, an old system for law enforcement agencies to report crime statistics to the federal government, and an updated system for reporting. The survey regularly reaches the conclusion that official reporting is much lower than actual crime rate, but the two moved generally in parallel: if one goes up, so does the other, if one goes down, so does the other. The actual accuracy of the reported numbers aside, you could at minimum tell upward or downward trends with reasonable accuracy. To my knowledge, this is still true with the new system, both the crime survey and NIBRS data are showing upward trends in crime since 2020.

The individual pieces of your logic are fine: there are flaws in one or both systems, the new system addresses many flaws in the old system, there is a lack of information right now, but it's going to be better. (The old way was written records with very little specificity, the newer system is digital and allows for more precise crime categorization and doesn't require someone at the FBI to enter a pile of written records into their systems.) The transition isn't a particularly political thing, the newer system has existed for decades and has been an official standard since the Obama Administration. The FBI has just been using both systems for a while, individual police precincts could submit their numbers through either system, and the Uniform Crime Report would contain data from both sets. Now, they are only counting data submitted through NIBRS, the newer system, which is a good thing in many ways... but only if law enforcement is using the NIBRS.

The old system, including SRS data, had near 100% participation from law enforcement agencies. The new one was declared the sole reporting standard with less than 60% participation. I think this was a good decision, as you'll never get everyone to upgrade anything until they actually can't use the old way. The one thing here that's problematic is trying to compare across the two systems. Comparing from the old combined system to the solely NIBRS data, crime stats are lower overall. They actually predicted the switch would seem to increase the reported crime rate (and it still might), but the opposite happened, and it's because we're missing like 40% of the data. If that missing data were a random sampling, it shouldn't make a difference, but the agencies that haven't managed to participate in the NIBRS are understandably the police in high-crime areas. Law enforcement with fewer crimes to report and more time on their hands mostly updated their reporting standards to the better system before it was required, so the current FBI stats are disproportionately missing places with the highest crime rates.

So like, the new system is going to be better once everywhere is counted, and I would argue it's a good thing that they are starting to use it exclusively, but you can't do a meaningful year-over-year comparison between reports before 2022 and reports now, because like 40% of the data is missing. It's like yeah, the crime rate went down, but only if you compare two different systems of reporting and the new reporting is missing half of NYC and LA. Where the National Crime Victimization Survey doesn't have a sudden change in methods or a missing set of data causing bias in the results (not political bias, just statistical), and Phoenix is correct to see that as a more useful indicator of trends from 2020 to the present.

A couple of the links I read from while writing this:

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Yeah but I'm not addressing that. I'm addressing captain logic and his statements that specifically say it could be measuring anything and the method which has changed is obviously wrong.

If you have 2 kinds of measurement for something (whatever, doesn't matter, crime is what is measured here obviously) for comparison purposes to make sure one isn't significantly off and they have both been close to each other for a good length of time, you then change the way you do one of those measurements and find that there's quite a disconnect between the 2 results. Basic logic will tell you it's most likely the change you made to the one measurement, would it not?

Also what Schadrach said.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
You're just assuming that NVCS is correct because it's a legacy system.

NIBRS could very well be more accurate due to the use of more modern data collection tools.

Could the government be using NIBRS because they want crime statistics to look better for the administration? Yes. Could they be using it because its data is more reliable? Also yes. We don't know which it is because neither you nor I have access to the data to affirm or dispute its accuracy.

One system says X and another says Y means very little. If you've ever taken a course in criminal statistics (I have, I majored in criminal justice in college) you would know that you can make stats say basically anything you want, even without resorting to using a different system.

No idea. Last time I was in New York, like 6 years ago there were cops on almost every street corner in Manhattan, and at every Subway stop. Does that mean that there was an epidemic of crime in New York City 6 years ago? Anecdotal evidence in one city doesn't mean anything with regards to nation-wide trends. Maybe they have the National Guard there because they're worried about right-wing terrorist attacks over the Trump prosecutions. See? I can wildly speculate too.

For the same reason that stores are moving to more self-checkout. They don't want to pay people. It's cheaper to install a machine than to pay a cashier. It's cheaper to lock something in a case than it is to hire security. I think companies love cutting costs and raising prices.

If there's a perception that there's a lot of organized crime targeting stores it gives those stores an excuse to raise prices. It's the same thing that happened during the pandemic, stores raised prices due to issues with supply lines and inflation, those issues were resolved but prices have continued to rise. At this point it's well known that prices are going up purely due to corporate greed and their ability to make excuses about inflation when they themselves are now the cause of it. Corporations need a new scapegoat about why prices are going up, hence the "crime epidemic."
A survey of hundreds of thousands of people is rather accurate. We literally know the data from the NIBRS is less accurate (than previous system) because several of the countries biggest law enforcement agencies are not submitting their data.

Crime is up on the subway in New York though...

It's cheaper to leave stuff the way it is than buying cases to lock things in. It takes less employee hours of work to run a store if you don't constantly need employees opening locked cases for toothpaste. It also makes customers more likely to buy something if they don't need to ask for an employee to get it for them. The company loses more money on self-checkout than they save because the theft is higher than the money saved on cashier pay.

And then when theft causes stores to close like say a Walmart for example, you people will b!tch about food deserts when there wouldn't be one if the community didn't steal from the grocery store that used to be there.

No, you left out the somewhat important (or perhaps untrue) detail that everyone else stayed half an hour longer than rostered.

Almost like a retail outlet and a hospital are different things.
It is true the guys that got hired with me (from our previous job) stay till 5pm and I go home at 4:30.

You not getting paid your proper pay matters if it's Walmart or a hospital?

Yeah but I'm not addressing that. I'm addressing captain logic and his statements that specifically say it could be measuring anything and the method which has changed is obviously wrong.
I also gave you the gist of the reason (what Schadrach and tstorm both said) why the new system was less accurate in the 1st post but you ignored that in your initial reply.

If you have 2 methods for measuring something and you change one and now you have a bigger disconnect, the reason is probably because you changed the one form of measurement. Yes, maybe the change in measurement results in a more accurate measurement or a less accurate measurement. Either way, for comparison purposes to see if crime (for this specific example) went up or down in comparison to the year before (with the old system) is not going to give you an accurate comparison because it's basically giving you a new baseline instead. Whereas the survey crime data didn't change so even if it is less accurate of actual crime, the comparison is more accurate because the same methods were used consistently from year to year. However, we know the reason why the new system is showing lower crime because several major police departments in high crime areas are not reporting.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
A survey of hundreds of thousands of people is rather accurate. We literally know the data from the NIBRS is less accurate (than previous system) because several of the countries biggest law enforcement agencies are not submitting their data.

Crime is up on the subway in New York though...

It's cheaper to leave stuff the way it is than buying cases to lock things in. It takes less employee hours of work to run a store if you don't constantly need employees opening locked cases for toothpaste. It also makes customers more likely to buy something if they don't need to ask for an employee to get it for them. The company loses more money on self-checkout than they save because the theft is higher than the money saved on cashier pay.

And then when theft causes stores to close like say a Walmart for example, you people will b!tch about food deserts when there wouldn't be one if the community didn't steal from the grocery store that used to be there.

It is true the guys that got hired with me (from our previous job) stay till 5pm and I go home at 4:30.

I also gave you the gist of the reason (what Schadrach and tstorm both said) why the new system was less accurate in the 1st post but you ignored that in your initial reply.

If you have 2 methods for measuring something and you change one and now you have a bigger disconnect, the reason is probably because you changed the one form of measurement. Yes, maybe the change in measurement results in a more accurate measurement or a less accurate measurement. Either way, for comparison purposes to see if crime (for this specific example) went up or down in comparison to the year before (with the old system) is not going to give you an accurate comparison because it's basically giving you a new baseline instead. Whereas the survey crime data didn't change so even if it is less accurate of actual crime, the comparison is more accurate because the same methods were used consistently from year to year. However, we know the reason why the new system is showing lower crime because several major police departments in high crime areas are not reporting.
Nah, your argument was ass. You then piggybacked off others who put more thought into it than you did and claimed it as your reasoning.

Reactions: soreeyes

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Also, how is crime going down when governor of New York just called in the National Guard to do illegal and unconstitutional random bag searches of subway riders?
Ok, that's a crime that is going up, but it's not counted as one.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Nah, your argument was ass. You then piggybacked off others who put more thought into it than you did and claimed it as your reasoning.
Literally in my first post...
The one thing they did leave out was the fact FBI's Uniform Crime Report (UCR) used to use the SRS system to collect data but now uses exclusively a new system, NIBRS, which a lot of police agencies haven't switched to and now aren't reporting data. This is way there is now a rather massive disconnect between the UCR and NCVS, where the UCR says crime went down while the NCVS says crime is significantly up.

soreeyes

Nov 8, 2023
Country
united states
shoplifting is good actually
what are we doing here?
giving credo to crime statistics like narcs when theyve set up a military check point at the subway
its already here guys
and phoenix is living for it and profiting even if by just wasting our time
bye

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Your working day ends at 4:30? That's fine. Just would've been useful context when saying that you work less than everyone else.

Retaliatory actions taken against the organisation matter differently.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Your working day ends at 4:30? That's fine. Just would've been useful context when saying that you work less than everyone else.

Retaliatory actions taken against the organisation matter differently.
That's what I said...
Currently at my job (that I switched to just last month), I'm expected to work from 8am-5pm but our employee handbook says our lunch is 30mins unpaid and we have two 15min paid breaks. Thus, I leave at 4:30pm everyday because working until 5pm would be 8.5 hours of work and I'm pretty sure if I put that into my timecard, they wouldn't approve the overtime.
---

What retaliatory actions? Regardless of the workplace, why would you work any longer than what you are getting paid for?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
That's what I said...
I saw that, but it doesn't really make it clear. Am I to understand you can schedule your own lunch break whenever you want, and you always schedule it at the end of the day to go home early? Because if so, that's fine, but it's not really clear from the passage.

What retaliatory actions? Regardless of the workplace, why would you work any longer than what you are getting paid for?
In this context, we were talking about shoplifting and leaving work early, as sort of "retaliatory" actions. The latter is only still being discussed since I was under the impression you were leaving early, and not doing your rostered hours. That was the impression I got from your description but I apologise if that's not right.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I saw that, but it doesn't really make it clear. Am I to understand you can schedule your own lunch break whenever you want, and you always schedule it at the end of the day to go home early? Because if so, that's fine, but it's not really clear from the passage.

In this context, we were talking about shoplifting and leaving work early, as sort of "retaliatory" actions. The latter is only still being discussed since I was under the impression you were leaving early, and not doing your rostered hours. That was the impression I got from your description but I apologise if that's not right.
I take my lunch normally in the middle of the day. It says you have to take lunch no later than the end of the 5th hour of work. So I work from 8am-noon, that's 4 hours of work. I take lunch at noon-1pm usually, that's technically 0.5 hours of work (just stack the 15 min breaks and the 30 min unpaid lunch). Then I work from 1pm-4:30pm for 3.5 hours of work. So 4 + 0.5 + 3.5 = 8 hours. If I work until 5pm, that's technically 8.5 hours of work.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I take lunch at noon-1pm usually, that's technically 0.5 hours of work (just stack the 15 min breaks and the 30 min unpaid lunch).
So those 'breaks' count as work-time at your org?

How does your employer explain a 8-5 working day (9 hrs) if only 30 Mins in the middle is unpaid and doesn't count to the working hours? That leaves 8.5.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
As someone fired from a Meijer who had a union, they aren't the end all be all.

Also yes wage thief is bad, but so is not having a grocery store near you and eating TV dinners every night.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
So those 'breaks' count as work-time at your org?

How does your employer explain a 8-5 working day (9 hrs) if only 30 Mins in the middle is unpaid and doesn't count to the working hours? That leaves 8.5.
The employee handbook says they are paid breaks. They can't do math.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
The employee handbook says they are paid breaks. They can't do math.
You're telling me your employer hasn't realised that 9 - 0.5 is 8.5, and that all the other employees are working an extra half hour for no pay and no reason, and that's why you leave half an hour before everyone else?

I don't believe you.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
You're telling me your employer hasn't realised that 9 - 0.5 is 8.5, and that all the other employees are working an extra half hour for no pay and no reason, and that's why you leave half an hour before everyone else?

I don't believe you.
You should've seen how bad they mathed out the annual pay based on the hourly wage in one of my offer letters.

I brought up the issue in a meeting the other day when they oddly went person to person asking what hours everyone is working (I guess people are coming in late and stuff), and here's what has happened since. I don't bullshit about things.

1710344379985.png

---

1710342880668.png

---

1710342788820.png

Who the fuck approves your timesheets? A blind person?
Our boss just makes sure they are 8 hours a day and that's it.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
You should've seen how bad they mathed out the annual pay based on the hourly wage in one of my offer letters.

I brought up the issue in a meeting the other day when they oddly went person to person asking what hours everyone is working (I guess people are coming in late and stuff), and here's what has happened since. I don't bullshit about things.

View attachment 10843

---

View attachment 10842

---

View attachment 10841

Our boss just makes sure they are 8 hours a day and that's it.
I am tremendously confused. But it seems to be your organisation being confusing and self-contradictory rather than you. Apologies.