XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must
Lave toobin we lava toobin

Ancient humans lived inside a lava tube in the Arabian desert
Underground tunnels created by lava flows provided humans with shelter for thousands of years beneath the hot desert landscape of Saudi Arabia

Researchers exploring the Umm Jirsan lava tube system in Saudi Arabia
Green Arabia Project

Archaeologists have found evidence of human habitation within lava tubes for the first time, in the deserts of northern Saudi Arabia.

Lava tubes are caves that form during a volcanic eruption. The surface of a river of lava cools and solidifies, while hot molten rock continues to flow beneath it. Eventually, lava drains out of the tube, leaving behind a tunnel.

World's first tunnel to a magma chamber could unleash unlimited energy

Mathew Stewart at Griffith University in Brisbane, Australia, and his colleagues excavated a trench inside Umm Jirsan. At 1.5 kilometres in length, it is the biggest lava tube in Saudi Arabia. The researchers discovered animal bones, stone tools and pottery stretching back at least 7000 years and possibly as much as 10,000 years.

Stewart and his team have worked in the region for more than 15 years and have previously found numerous stone structures on the surface, confirming human habitation. However, the desert’s hot, arid climate has caused organic material to break down, making it difficult to date.

On the surface, the landscape is a “hot, dry and flat basalt desert”, says Stewart. “But when you are down in the lava tube, it’s much cooler. It’s very sheltered and it would have been a great place of refuge.”

“It’s transforming our understanding of the prehistory of the Arabian peninsula,” he says.

In parts of the underground network at Umm Jirsan, the researchers also found human bones, but these are thought to have been dragged in by hyenas.

In other lava tubes nearby, Stewart and his colleagues found rock art, including representations of domestic sheep and goats that would have been made by “cultural contemporaries” of the groups using the lava tubes as a refuge, he says.

Not to be used in museums, exhibitions, or articles about Elisabeth Daynes or the Atelier Daynes. No use in any context outside of mainstream science without the express permission of Atelier Daynes. Front covers or private use require clearance. Mandatory credit. Paranthropus boisei model. Reconstruction of a specimen of Paranthropus boisei. This hominin, which is sometimes classified as Australopithecus boisei, lived from 2.3 to 1.2 million years ago in eastern Africa. P. boisei is one of several extinct species that form an early part of the human evolutionary tree. Reconstruction by Elisabeth Daynes of the Daynes Studio, Paris, France. MANDATORY CREDIT.
How did Paranthropus, the last of the ape-people, survive for so long?
Paranthropus was an ape-like hominin that lived on in a world dominated by big-brained early humans. Recent archaeological discoveries, like stone tools, are revealing how they lived

Mike Morley at Flinders University in Adelaide, Australia, describes the lava tubes as being like “prefabricated activity spaces”.

“As a scientist who works primarily in caves, I am excited that we have another type of cave system being used by past human populations,” says Morley. “These finds represent a treasure trove of archaeological information for Arabia, a massive region that has only recently been investigated systematically for prehistoric archaeology.”

Lava tubes have also been suggested as possible places for humans to shelter on the moon and Mars.

Journal reference:
PLoS One DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0299292

Reactions: Zykon TheLich

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must
We might need to call batman.

Not for her, not yet anyway. This guy in the video;

2024-04-22-18-10-01-035.jpg

Not quite Cillian Murphy but hey we endure with what we got.

2024-04-22-18-24-10-197.jpg

Am on way to the signal roof right now.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
In the 60s, there was a problem in Ireland of smuggling pigs over the border. I think the Irish government subsidised pig meat exports to keep the farmers going, but some farms were on the border with NI and got British pigs sold and Irish taxpayers to pay for part of it.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Today, I noticed that in The Gorillaz "Clint Eastwood" video, as the ground cracks, running under Damon Albarn, the word "virus" appears in the red T on his shirt...T-Virus, zombies...it only took me 23 years.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Today I learned that Zelda, sister of the protagonist in 1989's Pet Sematary, was played by a man, Andrew Hubatsek. It was a very intentional choice by the directors who felt a skinny, grown man portraying a disable teenaged girl made her scenes that much more unsettling and disturbing. And they were correct. "She" terrified me as a kid; she's the only part of the film I found scary. Hell, it's been 30 years, and this still makes me squirm.

1715069865476.png1715070036871.png

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Today I learned that Zelda, sister of the protagonist in 1989's Pet Sematary, was played by a man, Andrew Hubatsek. It was a very intentional choice by the directors who felt a skinny, grown man portraying a disable teenaged girl made her scenes that much more unsettling and disturbing. And they were correct. "She" terrified me as a kid; she's the only part of the film I found scary. Hell, it's been 30 years, and this still makes me squirm.

View attachment 11130View attachment 11131

Victor fuggin Pascow. That name has stuck with me for thirty something years even though I haven’t seen it since I was a kid.

Reactions: Xprimentyl
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

Basically there’s two roads: replacing most of congress and reworking our political process, or the system needs to catastrophically collapse before anything will improve. Guess which will have a better chance of happening first.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Not sure if this works for every starting point or you just keep going until it’s solved -