Resident Evil Showcase

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
RE8 Village. Looks very pretty on PS5 but at the same time I find the game a bit..shallow I guess(why do these things always go hand in hand?).

In reviews the game is described as a 'rollercoaster' and I didn't know how literal I should have taken that. It is a very curated experience that bounces from setpiece to setpiece often with very little coherence in both style and substance. The combat is fun if not necessarily great due to limited enemy variety and very little mechanical complexity(RE4, which Village is inspired by, is still leagues ahead). The story makes zero sense but that's Resident Evil I guess. Both Ethan and some of the 'lords' had some hilarious one-liners that made me lol. RE8 is obviously not as serious as RE7 and unlike this game it also lacks a unique identity. RE8 is more like a pastiche of previous games in first person that is very fun while it lasts but doesn't really make a lasting impression.

The adaptive triggers were nice though. You could really feel the difference between handgun, shotgun or sniper rifle.

edit: oops wrong thread, was for games currently playing thread but it fits here as well I guess. :p

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Okay so I've watched a few lets play videos, not like entire go-throughs, just the highlights because there seems to be a consensus that the game is really slow and plodding when the main villains aren't around. Props to Capcom, this is a real rogue's gallery of Metal Gear by way of the Brothers Grimm.
But why WHY for all that is spooky and cool, did the promotions and trailers concentrate on the tall vampire lady when she's the least interesting of all the characters? She's tall, looks pretty good in white and...and that's it. Her daughters are weird sentient flies that like use photoluminescence to look like people and their wings to sound like people, which...yeah okay sure, SCIENCE. And they have personalities and backstories and like which fly is in charge of keeping their character's lore straight?

But the others are like Quasimodo, but he's one of those shark monsters from BloodBorne, with all the love and feelings of the lake monster from RE4. And then there's Father Gascoigne hard rock younger brother with Xmen powers whose like "Hey, lets have a monster truck rally and tank battle!'
But the cream of the crop, rising all the way to the top, is the magical orphan nun who communicates through a snarky murder puppet. And its like why the fuck wasn't the Bride of Chucky's hot sister the main focus of the marketing? She's a riot! And her boss fight, while weak on the fight part, is a spectacle for sure and she's easily the highlight of the game, and its like way to burry the lead on this Capcom.
Or maybe that was the point? Send the weak one out to get all the gamers horny and then they play the game and boom out of nowhere tank battles and bitchy little puppets!

Also as an aside this game should have been 3rd person with Leon as the character. This is the closest RE has come to the RE4 magic mixture of horror, camp, action and snark. Completely wasted on Ethan "Hand Trauma" Winters and whatever Chris is boringly plodding on about.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
ut why WHY for all that is spooky and cool, did the promotions and trailers concentrate on the tall vampire lady when she's the least interesting of all the characters? She's tall, looks pretty good in white and...and that's it. Her daughters are weird sentient flies that like use photoluminescence to look like people and their wings to sound like people, which...yeah okay sure, SCIENCE. And they have personalities and backstories and like which fly is in charge of keeping their character's lore straight?
Cuz waifus. Evil is sexy waifus. Step on me please memes and all that jazz. Kind of like how they were "Step on me please lady!" memes of Satsuki Kyurin when Kill A Kill first premiered.

Also as an aside this game should have been 3rd person with Leon as the character. This is the closest RE has come to the RE4 magic mixture of horror, camp, action and snark. Completely wasted on Ethan "Hand Trauma" Winters and whatever Chris is boringly plodding on about.
That's always been a problem with Resident Evil as a whole. They just don't know what to do with certain dangling plot threads that are into that at the end of each game, end anti-climactically, or ignore it in the next game. It's why I don't like the first Revelations game that much and I ignore the true ending of the second Revelations game. Capcom clearly doesn't know what to do with all the other characters anymore. Hell, we're still no closer to figuring out who Ada Wong really is. And that threads been dangling since the second game. You know something's wrong with Julie Kidman (Evil Within 1 & 2), an expy of Ada Wong, became a better Ada Wong then the actual Ada Wong.

I would still pick Leon over Ethan Winters. I would take Sebastian over Ethan Winters, but the former has suffered enough. He earned his happy ending and I don't want to ruin that for him.

Last edited:

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Cuz waifus. Evil is sexy waifus. Step on me please memes and all that jazz. Kind of like how they were "Step on me please lady!" memes of Satsuki Kyurin when Kill A Kill first premiered.
I guess you're right. Aint gonna say sex doesn't sell, because it clearly does. Just weird she became a waifu when like there's no hint of romance, at least that I've seen, between her and Ethan. Like she's as much waifu bait as like an Ultralisk or the Laptop Gun. Especially considering it looks like she dies pretty early in the game.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I guess you're right. Aint gonna say sex doesn't sell, because it clearly does. Just weird she became a waifu when like there's no hint of romance, at least that I've seen, between her and Ethan. Like she's as much waifu bait as like an Ultralisk or the Laptop Gun. Especially considering it looks like she dies pretty early in the game.
That's nothing new. You know much fast waifu material appears, whenever a new Pokemon game or anime gets announced? I remember fan art Lusamine came out in less than a day when Pokemon Sun and Moon had its first trailer. And there ain't nothing romantic about her either. Though that is a kink and a turn on for certain people. Evil, sexy, Milfs are always a thing.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yahtzee has mixed feelings on the game. Though RE4 and RE7 are high points, I don't consider them my favorite, nor the best Resident Evil games. Not to mention, RE7 had the hype of "Oh, it's not Resident Evil 6! 7 made Resident Evil and survival horror scary again!". Which is bull crap, because RE7 was just copying off of PT, Clock Tower, FEAR, Condemned, and other first person survival horror games. Now Capcom always wanted to experiment in the first person before with the original RE, but that never happened. Still, you can still see the influences being pulled from other games.

Last edited:

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Yahtzee has mixed feelings on the game. Go wow re4 and re7r high points, I don't consider them my favorite nor the best Resident Evil games. Not to mention, re7 had the hype of "Oh, it's not Resident Evil 6, 7 made Resident Evil,or survival horror scary again". Which is bull crap, because re7 was just copying off of PT, clock tower, FEAR, Condemned, and other first person survival horror games. Now Capcom always wanted to experiment in the first person before with the original Re, but that never happened. Still you can still see the influence being pulled from other games.

I mean that's about what I expected. The consensus seems to be the boss fights are the best parts, the snarky murder puppet is the cream of the crop rising all the way to the top, and then there's a monster truck rally.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Heavy SPOILERS in both lines: I'm sorry Ethan. You're a wonderful father. Sebastian would have done the same in your shoes.

Also, Ozwald Spencer wanted to become a god, because of a booty call. This whole series got started, just because of that! Miranda did not even bother to tell him that the stuff she had could do that already.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Heavy SPOILERS in both lines: I'm sorry Ethan. You're a wonderful father. Sebastian would have done the same in your shoes.

Also, Ozwald Spencer wanted to become a god, because of a booty call. This whole series got started, just because of that! Miranda did not even bother to tell him that the stuff she had could do that already.

The god stuff or booty call? Or wait, is the latter part of the requirements of the former?

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The god stuff or booty call?
Yes. He fell in love with her when he was a young med student, and as he aged. Obviously, she's even older than him, but she never once brought up the black goo to him. Granted, it might not have worked considering all of the 4 lords were considered failures to Miranda. Oswald still stood a better chance than whatever Alex Wesker's method for immortality. At the end of the day, he wanted to tap that and truly loved her. Though I highly doubt their relationship would have worked out. Miranda cared more for "Evelyn" than any one else. Everyone else were pawns or tools to her.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Yes. He fell in love with her when he was a young med student, and as he aged. Obviously, she's even older than him, but she never once brought up the black goo to him. Granted, it might not have worked considering all of the 4 lords were considered failures to Miranda. Oswald still stood a better chance than whatever Alex Wesker's method for immortality. At the end of the day, he wanted to tap that and truly loved her. Though I highly doubt their relationship would have worked out. Miranda cared more for "Evelyn" than any one else. Everyone else were pawns or tools to her.
there's a pretty good argument to be made that Miranda still had her conscience back then when he saves Alex from freezing to death. That's something she would not do in the present day. And maybe starting a relationship with each other would have helped both of their loneliness. What I'm saying is if they both had sex the entire Resident Evil series wouldn't have happened and their would be a lot less dead people

Reactions: BrawlMan