Resident Evil Showcase

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but there is a timed demo available on the PS store. You can download it now and apparently unlocks tomorrow in Britain for a short while. Its probably on other formats too but I don't own those so I don't know for sure.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
The thing I'm curious about, is, like, is she almost 10 feet tall BECAUSE of the vampirism? Or was she like, some "ancient world" giantess, like from Norse mythology or whatnot, who was turned centuries ago, and so she was just huge? If it's the vampirism, then why aren't the other ladies super tall? Is it a vampiric age thing? Like, she's that tall because she's centuries old? Does that mean she will keep getting taller as the time marches on? So we'll eventually have a giant, 50 ft tall vampire mommy running about kinking everyone?
It's a T-Virus thing is my guess.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Reviews are here.

Seems really hit or miss for a lot of people. Some love it completely, and others like Skill Up dont. But even those that don't like it, all say that it's a good game and just doesn't click with them. So it'll be really interesting to see what the general audience thinks of the game in the long run.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Sounds like the aim and movement speed is just as wooden as it was in RE7, so this one's a pass for me.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Seems really hit or miss for a lot of people. Some love it completely, and others like Skill Up dont. But even those that don't like it, all say that it's a good game and just doesn't click with them. So it'll be really interesting to see what the general audience thinks of the game in the long run.
I was originally going to pre-order the game, but then I decided to cancel it and transfer it to No More Heroes 3. Right now, I have no investment towards Resident Evil 8. Plus, there's some new games I bought a few weeks ago I still need to play on Switch. An updated version of Raiden IV is coming out tomorrow and will be delivered to my home that day.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I was originally going to pre-order the game, but then I decided to cancel it and transfer it to No More Heroes 3. Right now, I have no investment towards Resident Evil 8. Plus, there's some new games I bought a few weeks ago I still need to play on Switch. An updated version of Raiden IV is coming out tomorrow and will be delivered to my home that day.
Yeah I mean No More Heroes is likely going to get more Mileage for you so moving your pre-order is a smart choice. That being said, if you have interest in the RE series, you'll probably want 8 at some point down the line. I'll be getting it day 1 and doing my typical impressions and we'll see what the real deal is based on my tastes.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yes? It's a direct follow-up to seven in story. It's a sequel.
Oh, wasn't aware of that. I read somewhere they had turned it into an anthology, which would make sense, when you jump from zombie swamp hicks to Cultured Vampire FemCult, I find it strange to think they are connected in any logical way. But then, the RE franchise, and logic, have been complete strangers from the onset.

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
Oh, wasn't aware of that. I read somewhere they had turned it into an anthology, which would make sense, when you jump from zombie swamp hicks to Cultured Vampire FemCult, I find it strange to think they are connected in any logical way. But then, the RE franchise, and logic, have been complete strangers from the onset.
Yea, it's a full-on direct follow up. According to Marty, 7, 8 and 9 are to be their own self-contained trilogy basically.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Here’s a smattering of reviews -

I haven’t even tried 7 yet although it’s waiting in the wings of my Steam library. RE ever since 4 has always been a bit of an enigma to me in terms of my ability to enjoy it. On one hand, it’s got such a long, storied history and I want to really like it because of this, but on the other it’s just kind of a hilarious, frustrating mess of trying to appeal to both old and new school theories or game design. It should be the go-to for a good fix of zombie survival horror at its best, and should be a heavy hitting AAA experience by now, but in terms of gameplay and technical production values it falls considerably short of some of the best examples lately.

After playing through the Village demo on PC, the shooting felt rather bland and lacking impact, with barely any of the awesome hit reactions for enemies as found in RE2 Remake. Items like big burly looking sacks of flour just explode dramatically upon one bullet hitting them and disappear immediately. The item descriptions were written in the most generic text font, making me wonder if it’s just a placeholder for the demo. The voice acting even reminded me more of the terribleness of the classic games more so than the latest remakes too. Perhaps it was on purpose, idk.

The lighting, texture work and character models were pretty impressive though, using the 4+GB VRAM setting. I also liked the small swinging torch puzzle, which was probably the best feeling part of the demo in terms of actual gameplay. I hope there’s more of that puzzle stuff than necessary shooting bits unless the weapon feel has improved in the full game.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Anyone else immediately think they were looking at a Metal Gear Solid thumbnail with that most recent image? Because everytime I think "Wait, is Solid/Liquid/Boss/Titanium/Whateverthefuck Snake in Resident Evil now?!"

Also, they imply with that partial image, that the protagonist is a werewolf. That shot looks VERY much like a werewolf to me. And...I won't lie, the idea of playing a game where I'm a werewolf, running around ripping up a coven of vampire witches....that...just MIGHT make me actually want to play an RE game.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Anyone else immediately think they were looking at a Metal Gear Solid thumbnail with that most recent image? Because everytime I think "Wait, is Solid/Liquid/Boss/Titanium/Whateverthefuck Snake in Resident Evil now?!"

Also, they imply with that partial image, that the protagonist is a werewolf. That shot looks VERY much like a werewolf to me. And...I won't lie, the idea of playing a game where I'm a werewolf, running around ripping up a coven of vampire witches....that...just MIGHT make me actually want to play an RE game.
From what I’ve heard and seen in the demo, Lycanthropy is a running theme in Village, so maybe.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
From what I’ve heard and seen in the demo, Lycanthropy is a running theme in Village, so maybe.
Cool, depending on how long they force you to be a helpless sack of blood the giant mommy constantly hunts to sexualize at and eat, before letting me wolf out and rip and tear, I might pick it up.

*Edit* Also not sure why you spoilered that bit in your reply. I mean it's clearly a wolf face, superimposed over the protag's face, implying "the beast within" They couldn't be more upfront if they put it on the cover art! ...oh wait!! They did!! :p

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker