Invincible confirmed for Season two and three

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I'm watching it right now. It's alright, but I don't get what people are seeing in it. Yeah, it looks like a Saturday morning cartoon but there's gore in it. So what? Or the whole "Silver Age superheros but with a dark twist" concept that has saturated the market to the point of white noise almost as much as the vanilla superhero shtick already has. And of course a Boomers Failed Us narrative, to cap off what's essentially glorified YA.

Good voice acting though.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This show just raised the bar on super shows and movies! I am loving it already. Finished the first season this weekend.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not seeing a lot of love for Amber. I agree, she's a biatch. Heavy spoilers in this video and previous second video.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Not seeing a lot of love for Amber. I agree, she's a biatch. Heavy spoilers in this video and previous second video.

I didn't care for her, but I see her side of it. He treated her like crap.

I think he did tell the comics Amber and they were cool for a while, but she just got tired of his shit in a much more organic way. She wasn't a supporting character for long. She was more of just a stand in first girlfriend for him breakup with.

I would say their relationship is one of weaker points of the translation. They break up or whatever like 3 times. It got tiresome. A bit of a misfire in trying to add more to her character.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I didn't care for her, but I see her side of it. He treated her like crap.
It does not absolve him either, but she worse because she knew from the start. She knows Mark is a super hero, and tagaloned like she did nothing wrong. If she did not want to get involved, Amber should have said, I" can't handle the relationship of being with a superhero" or "I just want to be with a normal guy". Mark is out there, busting his ass everyday, saving lives. while she's upset because their is not enough "me time". It's one thing if she never knew, but this is different. Amber comes off looking worse beacause of the twist. She's been giving him the roundabout from the fucking start.

I am glad she comforted him, but I wanna hear an actual fucking aplpogy. Not this "You were lied too as well" bullshit. Amber's situation does not compare on come close to Mark's. She got lied to for six months, Mark was lied to for seventeen years and almost killed by his own father. Amber got none of that, aside from a guy ho could not keep on schedule, because he's out saving the world. I'll give her this, at least she showed some fucking compassion towards the end, but I expect either: a full blown apology with words next season, tone down her selfishness, or demote her to extra. Either one or all the above will satisfy me.

The "romance" is the weakest element, because it's trite cliche that is beyond cliche. This is not beating the dead horse. This is taking the half dead horse, throwing it's body in acid, and pulling out whatever remains just to piss on the animal.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009

That's because they tried to be true to the plot of the comic yet veer away from it at the same time, so Amber just got warped into whatever the show turned her into. In the comic she didn't know for the longest time even after Omni-Man left Earth. She's actually pretty accepting of his absence initially because his father "died", so she's like 'he just needs some space'. This then turns into 'Is he dealing drugs to support his mother now that his father's income is gone?' Then he finally tells her and she's super cool with it... for a while.

There's actually kind of an interesting moment in the comic, where Mark flat-out states that it's unfair that Amber isn't allowed to get mad at him for being away because he's saving the whole world. And obviously the world takes precedent over Amber's feelings, but that still leaves her not being allowed to express those feelings, needing to bottle up that frustration and anger. She either complains and is seen as incredibly selfish, or she doesn't and just stews in her own emotional turmoil. I wonder if the show will also adress this at some point.

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
I'm watching it right now. It's alright, but I don't get what people are seeing in it. Yeah, it looks like a Saturday morning cartoon but there's gore in it. So what? Or the whole "Silver Age superheros but with a dark twist" concept that has saturated the market to the point of white noise almost as much as the vanilla superhero shtick already has. And of course a Boomers Failed Us narrative, to cap off what's essentially glorified YA.

Good voice acting though.
I know you wrote this like 3 weeks ago and your opinion may have changed, but I don't think it's a fair assessment to call this just another "Superman bad" story. To compare it to its most obvious contemporary, The Boys, there's key differences established over the course of the series:

1. In The Boys there essentially are no supervillains, alien threats or interdimensional monsters and the whole thing takes place squarely on planet Earth. In Invincible the world is established to be much, much larger in the second episode already. This changes the whole dynamic, because in Invincible's world there actually are threats capable of besting the Superman stand-in. This in a way makes the Viltrumites even more heinous than Homelander, because they choose subjugation and conquest over cooperation in a universe where any number of innumerable threats are threatening everyone at any given time.

2. Hughie and Mark are both hopelessly out of their depth in both series, but the key difference between them is that Mark is one of the most powerful beings on the planet, and Hughie is the weakest one even amidst his mostly non-superpowered brethren. Hence the way their character arcs play out is very different.

3. Homelander and Omni-Man are both superman stand-ins who are evil, but that's about where their similarities end. Homelander is a pathological narcissist, lazy, uncaring, ambitionless and fucks with people just because he can. Omni-Man clearly has a moral compass, he's respectful, has a clear goal in mind to which he is committed, and can even be considered altruistic in a way: he's willing to invest decades of his life and sacrifice everything he's built over that time for what he considers the greater good. Which is why I consider lumping them together as just "evil Superman" a bit unfair. There's clearly very different ideas and dynamics at play with each one.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
It does not absolve him either, but she worse because she knew from the start. She knows Mark is a super hero, and tagaloned like she did nothing wrong. If she did not want to get involved, Amber should have said, I" can't handle the relationship of being with a superhero" or "I just want to be with a normal guy". Mark is out there, busting his ass everyday, saving lives. while she's upset because their is not enough "me time". It's one thing if she never knew, but this is different. Amber comes off looking worse beacause of the twist. She's been giving him the roundabout from the fucking start.

I am glad she comforted him, but I wanna hear an actual fucking aplpogy. Not this "You were lied too as well" bullshit. Amber's situation does not compare on come close to Mark's. She got lied to for six months, Mark was lied to for seventeen years and almost killed by his own father. Amber got none of that, aside from a guy ho could not keep on schedule, because he's out saving the world. I'll give her this, at least she showed some fucking compassion towards the end, but I expect either: a full blown apology with words next season, tone down her selfishness, or demote her to extra. Either one or all the above will satisfy me.

The "romance" is the weakest element, because it's trite cliche that is beyond cliche. This is not beating the dead horse. This is taking the half dead horse, throwing it's body in acid, and pulling out whatever remains just to piss on the animal.
Except she didn't know form the start. She said she only figured it out a few weeks before the confrontation after she and Mark had been dating for five months. What she did, even if you think it is bad, is not remotely the same as what Omni-Man did to his family or what Mark did to her.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I enjoyed the twists of Invincible, but I didn't really care too deeply about the whole teenage troubles of the various teenage characters which a lot of the show is about. It was the mystery of why Omniman did what he did, and what his motivations were that drove me to keep going. Also how he was going to respond to certain characters slowly catching up to his dirty laundry.

I did enjoy Robot's subplot, though it ended up not as sinister as I'd hoped so it was a bit of a letdown in the end. I thought he might have been out to replace the members of the new Guardians with his own obedient clones or something. The whole thing where he's suddenly really caring for Monster Girl only after she got her head bashed in was a bit sudden...

Mark's teenage tribulations and the characters revolving around them aren't downright terrible, but I did find it boring a lot of the time and wouldn't have gotten into the show if it was entirely that.

But at this point, all is revealed and in a sense the show's load has been blown. I wonder what seasons 2 and 3 would have in store to make it stand out. Besides just being typical superhero stuff that's really graphic and violent. I guess I am curious to see what Omniman is up to and how he will return and how the Viltrumites will take his actions.... but it better have an interesting hook in store or it'll be hard pass from me.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Except she didn't know form the start. She said she only figured it out a few weeks before the confrontation after she and Mark had been dating for five months. What she did, even if you think it is bad, is not remotely the same as what Omni-Man did to his family or what Mark did to her.
She still knew. Even if it was only for a few weeks. I never said that what she did was just as bad as OM, I'm just saying I'm OM lying to Mark for 17 years, doesn't compare to the few months when Mark was lying to Amber. The "you were lied to too" line pisses me off. I'm like, "Bitatch, please!". I don't have much of sympathy for her, and because of the writing she comes off as unintentionally unsympathetic. Like I said before, it doesn't absolve Mark, but her knowing you're not saying anything doesn't make her into complete right.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Homelander and Omni-Man are both superman stand-ins who are evil, but that's about where their similarities end. Homelander is a pathological narcissist, lazy, uncaring, ambitionless and fucks with people just because he can. Omni-Man clearly has a moral compass, he's respectful, has a clear goal in mind to which he is committed, and can even be considered altruistic in a way: he's willing to invest decades of his life and sacrifice everything he's built over that time for what he considers the greater good. Which is why I consider lumping them together as just "evil Superman" a bit unfair. There's clearly very different ideas and dynamics at play with each one.
Funny enough, the Double Toasted crew (or at least Korey) feels Omni-Man is worst than Homelander in their opinion.Their reason being because of OM's attitude, pettiness, and the manipulation of his wife and son. Not to mention the horrible beat down of Mark. I'm more inclined to agree with you, despite the higher body count and smug attitude from OM. While both characters are reprehensible people, I still hate Endevor, Bakugo, and Mineta than either two Evil Supermen. That is due to the writing. We're not supposed to feel sympathy for Homelander nor Omni-Man. While the latter three, we're supposed to sympathize, like or enjoy, or find funny. All three are neither of those things. Endevor is a terrible father, husband, and professional hero, Bakugo is a bully, and Mineta is an annoying pervert with no shame and deserves to be on the sex offenders list. My response to all of these characters though is a solid...

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I know you wrote this like 3 weeks ago and your opinion may have changed, but I don't think it's a fair assessment to call this just another "Superman bad" story.
I didn't. I called it "Boomers Failed Us" and "Glorified YA".

I do agree underneath all that it's also basically Superman Bad.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I personally would have put Captain Marvel (DC) in the picture rather than Saitama but I otherwise think this is well put together
You got point there. Child that turns in to a super powered man vs a super powered man-child.

Now, The Omni-Man Rap.