Your video game hot take(s) thread

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The very first RPGs to be made were dungeon crawlers that were experienced in the first person perspective.

So the people who didn't like Cyberpunk 2077 being in a first person perspective are full of shit.
Those old games have nothing to do with anything. I respect older games and for the legacy they leave, and yes, those people arguments seem silly, but I don't blame them for it. I do like first person shooters, but I'm more of a third person kind of guy. Especially when it involves character customization. Besides, cyberpunk is still a broken mess even with all the fixes that have happened so far. To me, the investment is not even worth it even at a discount or sale. There are better cyberpunk setting games that I I've played, could be playing, or plan on playing in the near future.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
So the people who didn't like Cyberpunk 2077 being in a first person perspective are full of shit.
That's a helluva leap to take, based on some moon logic.
Just because something started in one way, decades ago, doesn't mean we have to stick those principles forever. Otherwise, everyone's mandatory to enjoy silent movies.

That being said, if you want a better example on why Cyberpunk problems have nothing to do with its choice of perspective, here's a way better one: The Elder Scrolls

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
While Kratos isn’t truly Kratos without the chain blades, it’s the Leviathan ax in God of War that is more interesting; not least of which from a design perspective. In fact I personally think it’s the coolest (no pun) weapon since Half-Life 2’s gravity gun.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Bujingai can use a good remake, but that can lead to a big celebrity copyright issue. Unless they change the character's face, that remake is not happening.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Fix your fucking controllers Sony. It's been 6 months, and mine has already broke, and I don't play games every day for hours on end, or every day for a few minutes either.

Edit: PS5 Dualshock 5.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The Batman Arkham games, Ghost Of Tsushima, and Mark of the Ninja are the best ninja video games ever made.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Good bois or unholy murder hounds? Because I'm all for fewer of the latter. However, I'm always happy to see a good boi.
More of "hey look we put a dog in SpunkGargleWeeWee 14, you like dogs right you stupid *****, now buy our shitty game" bois. Good bois are fine.

But seriously, D-Dog is the only video game dog I can think of that had any meaningful impact on gameplay. Surely even dog lovers get tired of being pandered to.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Videogame auteurs make some of the least enjoyable videogames, by which I mean Hideo Kojima, David Cage, and Yoko Taro. Being a videogame auteur apparently means making games as obtuse in their structure and mechanics as possible. Though this is more just me venting about Yoko Taro who is apparently a genuis, but he actually just makes really shitty videogames.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Though this is more just me venting about Yoko Taro who is apparently a genuis, but he actually just makes really shitty videogames.
Drakengard maybe but that game was never popular among the masses it just became a cult hit because of it's themes and story. The original Nier is debatable but Nier Replicant and espescially Nier Automata can by no honest metric be considered a ''shitty videogame''.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Drakengard maybe but that game was never popular among the masses it just became a cult hit because of it's themes and story. The original Nier is debatable but Nier Replicant and espescially Nier Automata can by no honest metric be considered a ''shitty videogame''.
It can by my metric. Nier Replicant spends the first hour sending you back and forth across a small, boring area of the map, creating zero forward momentum. Go kill sheep, go back to the library. Go to the bridge, go back to the library. Go to some village or whatever, go back to the library. In the meantime fight some boring looking squigly shadow enemies. Woohoo. Even Automata knew how to create a captivating intro level before being reduced to the same boring back and forth across grey scenery. Sometimes I feel the only reason the music in these games is so good is because it needs to be, because if it wasn't these games wouldn't have any life to them.

And while I'm at it I'll again bring up the transparent letterboxing that I guess needs to be there for some highly artistic reason, but just works to distract you from what's happening on screen.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The original Nier is debatable but Nier Replicant and espescially Nier Automata can by no honest metric be considered a ''shitty videogame''.
While true, Automata has some game design that is genuinely not good or bad. I like the story, themes, and characters in Autoamata, but Taro always has this habit in putting in ideas no asked for, or to make things overly difficult for no reason, other than padding.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
While true, Automata has some game design that is genuinely not good or bad. I like the story, themes, and characters in Autoamata, but Taro always has this habit in putting in ideas no asked for, or to make things overly difficult for no reason, other than padding.
I played about 30 minutes of Automata before deciding unequivocally that it wasn't for me. When it went from a hammy vertically scrolling spaceship shooter to equally hammy '90s anime arcade gameplay, I had enough. It just felt very cheap. Granted, I can't judge the whole experience, but if they needed more than 30 minutes of my time to even begin to engage me, I'd defer to the problem being theirs and not mine. Had a miserable (if brief) time with that game.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I played about 30 minutes of Automata before deciding unequivocally that it wasn't for me. When it went from a hammy vertically scrolling spaceship shooter to equally hammy '90s anime arcade gameplay, I had enough. It just felt very cheap. Granted, I can't judge the whole experience, but if they needed more than 30 minutes of my time to even begin to engage me, I'd defer to the problem being theirs and not mine. Had a miserable (if brief) time with that game.
Trust me, it gets worse. The first 30 minutes I did not mind, but later in the game is where certain issues rise. Late in the C Route, 2B gets infected with the logic virus, and dying before reaching a certain point (on a time limit with messed up visuals and UI) counts as a game over. The problem being is that even when you make to the specific spot, she still dies, but it's in a cut-scene. What's the fucking point if she dies any way? Another game design problem with Route B is that 9S is not fun to play, and your only playing A Route again, but from his perspective.

The other huge design flaw is Very Hard mode. You die in one hit. It does not matter if you are maxed out at Lv. 99. One hit and your android goes to the scrap pile. Making the mode entirely pointless aside from bragging rights.