What are you currently playing?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I think I'm just about to get there. Level 11 I think? I just want to get all the base level skills already. If you don't choose the right skills the game genuinely feels like ass. Methinks they could have made the sidequest progression a little smoother.
That’s a bummer, but from my personal experiences with the early game I don’t recall anything being too impeding in regards to the skill stuff. IIRC the best stealth skill is like one of the first things that can be unlocked. Most of the other weapons based stuff progresses pretty evenly where you’re gradually getting better gear. I spent a pretty even amount of time between hunting/gathering (a really fitting meta considering the game’s setting and themes, actually) and story progression. The bandit camps were probably the most tedious part of an otherwise balanced and pleasantly paced open world design.

Anyways, I realized I never took out the serpent in Sekiro, so went back into the valley to find it coiled up far below my vantage point, enjoying its serpentine life, and certainly not expecting a katana through its skull. Very satisfying kill to be clear, especially considering how much of a persistently scary asshole it’s been through the game.

Went to look for Holy Chapter: Infested for the complicated ending but thinking/hoping I might’ve already given it to the rice girl far earlier without paying attention to its significance. It’s the only thing I’m missing otherwise. Might try finding some more divine confetti to finally take down Headless. I have the purple umbrella but it’s so much easier with the confetti’s offensive perks.

Then to finally find a way back into the castle to set things in motion for the endings. I haven’t looked it up yet and can foresee feeling like an idiot as it’s probably something stupidly simple.

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Aloy needs to learn how to be sneaky with her bright red hair :)
Nah, ever place she hides in is bright red foilage, she's got natural camouflage!
I think I'm just about to get there. Level 11 I think? I just want to get all the base level skills already. If you don't choose the right skills the game genuinely feels like ass. Methinks they could have made the sidequest progression a little smoother.
My issue with the skill progression, was that a lot of them, I never used. Like, all the mount related ones, well I never really used a mount. They get me noticed, and I like being a sneasky thief. So things like "being able to loot items while riding" ....yay? Totally useless IMO.

Still, for me at least, that was a minor issue. I enjoyed the game, and the exploration of that world so much, that it didn't detract from my enjoyment.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Im replaying the ME trilogy in the Legendary Edition, still think its bullshit its not the Renegade/Paragon/Spectre edition, but whatever. I forgot how much I enjoy the characters and interactions, and also how much bullshit poor level design there is, especially in Mass Effect 1. I'll say it, I enjoy the Mako driving. Its mindless fun. What I enjoy less is going around the map trying to find a way to get to the Secret Outpost, only to find it completely empty save for a locked vault I need to have brought Tali and Kaidan along with to hack, leave the map, get the right characters, get back to the outpost, unlock the vault and its just a text blurb about finding a datapad that I then deliver to someone on the Citadel where upon they thank me for delivering the datapad, here's 50 credits. And Im sitting on like 400 million credits.
The first game is filled with encounters like that; just one-room encounters that directly link back to a fetch quest on the Citadel. Feels less like Im exploring and more Im grocery shopping.
Also they say the combat is "fixed" in ME and its bold faced lie. Enemies zip around like mice on speed, making abilities and sniping all but impossible. The best bet is just get an assault rifle, exploding rounds and max out damage, not caring for heat, because you're only gonna get one or two shots on an enemy before its time to go to cover or move, so make them count.
Also some party memebers are just useless. Remember how I mentioned needing to bring Tali and Kaidan? Well just make those two your permanent party, the rest are all but useless. What I mean is that hacking, salvaging, mining, mapping, breaking into doors, etc...are all linked to the party's hacking/unlocking skills, and those two offer the highest combo, and the main gameplay loop planet side or on missions is...hacking, salvaging, mining, mapping, breaking into doors. There are entire planets where you can't get anything done unless you have those two. And whatever class you pick, the opposite number of the team is worthless. I was a soldier, so soldier Ashley never went out.
Overall its still a fun game, but its a lot more limiting than I remember. But then again it came out in 2007, back when Guitar Hero and Rock Band were still a thing, so it can be forgiven for having aged.

Anyway on to Mass Effect 2. Lets see if the dialogue still holds up on that one!

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Also they say the combat is "fixed" in ME and its bold faced lie. Enemies zip around like mice on speed, making abilities and sniping all but impossible.
I find this statement odd, because MATN on YT, is currently doing a full playthrough of ME 1 Legendary, and he's of the opinion, that the combat tweaks have made being a sniper ridiculously OP, and he's playing it on the hardest difficulty too. He's regularly using biotics and powers to lockdown enemies, and then sniping them with ballistic rounds to knockdown enemies so consistently that they are basically completely neutralized. He honestly feels it's so OP, that Bioware needs to patch it down a bit, to make it balanced.

So I am curious what's going on with your game, to have such a polar opposite takeaway from the combat

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I find this statement odd, because MATN on YT, is currently doing a full playthrough of ME 1 Legendary, and he's of the opinion, that the combat tweaks have made being a sniper ridiculously OP, and he's playing it on the hardest difficulty too. He's regularly using biotics and powers to lockdown enemies, and then sniping them with ballistic rounds to knockdown enemies so consistently that they are basically completely neutralized. He honestly feels it's so OP, that Bioware needs to patch it down a bit, to make it balanced.

So I am curious what's going on with your game, to have such a polar opposite takeaway from the combat
See Im on the hardest difficulty too, and I find sniping all but unworkable. It works if the enemy don't know you're there, but if they do and are moving, even with mouse and keyboard they simply move faster than the player's speed. Maybe he has the mouse speed turned up to max, but I didn't really mess with the settings.
and its weird he thinks its super OP to snipe 'cause Im guessing he's doing headshots and Mass effect 1 at least doesn't really do headshots. Its all just one big hitbox. Speaking of, another thing that makes sniping difficult is the invisible walls around cover. Cover really ends a few inches to the side after the wall stops, so sneaky little shots between walls/barricades to get some merc's foot just isn't a thing.
Truly I find making the assault rifle into a fast overheating grenade launcher with the explosive rounds is the best way to clear enemies out.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
See Im on the hardest difficulty too, and I find sniping all but unworkable. It works if the enemy don't know you're there, but if they do and are moving, even with mouse and keyboard they simply move faster than the player's speed. Maybe he has the mouse speed turned up to max, but I didn't really mess with the settings.
and its weird he thinks its super OP to snipe 'cause Im guessing he's doing headshots and Mass effect 1 at least doesn't really do headshots. Its all just one big hitbox. Speaking of, another thing that makes sniping difficult is the invisible walls around cover. Cover really ends a few inches to the side after the wall stops, so sneaky little shots between walls/barricades to get some merc's foot just isn't a thing.
Truly I find making the assault rifle into a fast overheating grenade launcher with the explosive rounds is the best way to clear enemies out.
He's playing with a controller (specifically stating that he feels the slower movements of a controller make for better YT viewing, compared to the quick panning you can do with a mouse), so I don't think that's it. And he's generally not doing headshots, he's usually doing center mass shots, because his favorite ammo is the hammerhead rounds, well, now it's the explosive rounds that have knockdown as well as blast. His standard strat, is to just shoot them until their shields vanish, at which point they are 100% susceptible to knockdown, and then he just ragdolls them across the ground. He uses biotics to crowd control them if things get really hectic (he used this way more in the early game), but nowadays, he's basically just letting everyone use explosive rounds to just juggle every enemy on the ground. He seems to have no real issue tracking enemies and shooting them.

So, yeah I have no idea what to tell you.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Finished The Sexy Brutale.

It was a lot of fun, while it lasted. It's a bit on the short side at 7 hours, moreso because you're saddled with such an unusual mechanic and the game doesn't really make the most of it, but the story's intriguing, develops entertainingly (your understanding of the central mystery keeps changing in an organic, exciting way) and ultimately wraps up with a satisfying, unexpected twist. Wish there was more to it, but with so many perfectly good games overstaying their welcome, I don't mind.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
My issue with the skill progression, was that a lot of them, I never used. Like, all the mount related ones, well I never really used a mount. They get me noticed, and I like being a sneasky thief. So things like "being able to loot items while riding" ....yay? Totally useless IMO.

Still, for me at least, that was a minor issue. I enjoyed the game, and the exploration of that world so much, that it didn't detract from my enjoyment.
At least all the skills can be unlocked I suppose. But yeah, I', pretty sure I'm just being a whiny *****. This always happens to me, I go do all the sidequests when it turns out doing the main story first opens up way more gameplay options.

The bandit camps were probably the most tedious part of an otherwise balanced and pleasantly paced open world design.
Ah yeah the first bandit camp I encountered sucked hard. It was night, and raining, meaning my FPS was probably below 30 and I couldn't see shit.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Finished The Sexy Brutale.

It was a lot of fun, while it lasted. It's a bit on the short side at 7 hours, moreso because you're saddled with such an unusual mechanic and the game doesn't really make the most of it, but the story's intriguing, develops entertainingly (your understanding of the central mystery keeps changing in an organic, exciting way) and ultimately wraps up with a satisfying, unexpected twist. Wish there was more to it, but with so many perfectly good games overstaying their welcome, I don't mind.
I found it a fun little game with a cool concept, with the biggest flaw being that the parts of the mansion felt completely isolated from each other(and effectively were) and saving someone once didn't matter because they were doomed the next 50 times you did the loop. I know the ending justifies this but it did feel kinda obnoxious at the time.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I found it a fun little game with a cool concept, with the biggest flaw being that the parts of the mansion felt completely isolated from each other(and effectively were) and saving someone once didn't matter because they were doomed the next 50 times you did the loop. I know the ending justifies this but it did feel kinda obnoxious at the time.
I know what you're saying, but it didn't bother me that I wasn't saving anybody for keeps. I figured I was working towards *eventually* saving everybody by tracing each death to the mastermind, and everything before that was essentially a working draft. And it was even darkly comical, falling into this workaday rhythm of showing up at future crime scenes like you're just a visiting plumber.

As for how modular the whole thing feels, yeah, wish the guests had crossed paths some more instead of being boxed neatly into their own corner of the mansion while having zero impact on the rest of the game. Could've had a clever spin where for every new guest you save, the solution fucks up the previous one, and so you have to keep reworking how you save each person based on the latest adjustment of reality. Or maybe you can prevent someone's murder only to find upon rewinding that you've diverted them to a worse fate. Whatever, give me something to interact with. Interactivity's so limited you're almost never allowed to be wrong about anything.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Beat Ace Combat 7, which is a wonkily designed but overall very good game. The core dogfighting and conducting of airstrikes is fun. The progression system is also good. They are detracted from somewhat by a few things.
1. To create drama, often your mission will involve things not advertised in the briefing. This creates irritation if you picked the wrong aircraft and loadout.
2. Some aircraft are clearly less useful than others. You can get the Typhoon in the mid game but it's only really good at high speed dogfighting which runs counter to what the midgame missions involve. In contrast the Thunderbolt II is only good at airstrikes, which isn't very helpful when almost every mission has enemy aircraft.
3. The first half of the last mission is too easy if you use the Raptor, which obviously you would because it's the best aircraft in the main game for dogfights and you will almost certainly have it unlocked.
4. The second half of the last level is irritatingly hard and asks you do do something you haven't done before.
5. The game is horrible at explaining things, you will need a guide to learn essential flight manoeuvres, and I don't think it ever mentions that the A button fires a machine gun.
6. The pacing of the story is terrible.

However, if you can get over those things there's a lot of fun to be had with Ace Combat 7.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Beat Ace Combat 7, which is a wonkily designed but overall very good game. The core dogfighting and conducting of airstrikes is fun. The progression system is also good. They are detracted from somewhat by a few things.
1. To create drama, often your mission will involve things not advertised in the briefing. This creates irritation if you picked the wrong aircraft and loadout.
2. Some aircraft are clearly less useful than others. You can get the Typhoon in the mid game but it's only really good at high speed dogfighting which runs counter to what the midgame missions involve. In contrast the Thunderbolt II is only good at airstrikes, which isn't very helpful when almost every mission has enemy aircraft.
3. The first half of the last mission is too easy if you use the Raptor, which obviously you would because it's the best aircraft in the main game for dogfights and you will almost certainly have it unlocked.
4. The second half of the last level is irritatingly hard and asks you do do something you haven't done before.
5. The game is horrible at explaining things, you will need a guide to learn essential flight manoeuvres, and I don't think it ever mentions that the A button fires a machine gun.
6. The pacing of the story is terrible.

However, if you can get over those things there's a lot of fun to be had with Ace Combat 7.
2.Yeah, as much as I want to use the A-10 in some missions(especially the Stonehenge one). the game insists on throwing so many aircraft at you or will drop an arsenal bird on your head that it's pretty much never worth it. Mission 11 and Mission 14 MIGHT be the exception because you've got so many surface targets and not much air cover to worry about. And in Ace Combat, Aircraft are almost universally the biggest threat you have to deal with(though AC7 did make SAM missles a bit more dangerous then they had been in previous games).

4. Yeah, the tunnel run is a staple of the series but AC7 doesn't bother to prep you for it. The only bright side is that if/when you crash you can restart at the checkpoint. Earlier games had NO checkpoints so Crash in the tunnel and repeat the entire damn mission(I'm looking at you AC5 ACES!)

6. I'm honestly convinced there was some major issues with the script during the development cycle. Mission 15 feels like it should be the end(or close to it) but then the game starts tossing a bunch of new story threads at you one after another and as a result almost none of them mean anything. I mean, the Robot War thing could have been really cool if they'd introduced it around mission 12, not mission 19(of 20).

There's a bunch of other things too.
-Trigger being framed for killing Harling is handwaved in like one line later in the game and is never mentioned again. Nobody cares Trigger Alledgely killed the former president once he leaves Spare Squadron. There's a bunch of ways they could have dealt with this and the Devs choose to do nothing and thus leave the plot point hanging.
-Constantly Switching Squadrons means you never really get to know or care about your wingmen. You spend twice as much time with Strider as Spare but almost nobody in Strider seems to matter(I remember Wiseman and Huxian and like nobody else). I barely remember Clown and Brownie from Mage when I replay the early game and then they get replaced by Spare.
-I'm 100% convinced that at one point you were supposed to be stick with Spare for most of the game. They put in this elaborate setup to get you into the Penal Unit, have this whole arc about the penal unit gradually going from a bunch of cons who can't fucking do anything right to a group that can work together to survive, introduce a bunch of colorful personalities with a lot of chatter, have Avril be the damn Narrator who stays with Spare...and then immediately "Oh, you're pardoned. Go to Strider with Nickelback". You barely hear about Spare after you leave it except when Avril shows up to look at her dirty fingernails and tell you about stuff you're barely a part of. There's also the fact the one member of Spare that gets ANY screen time is Tabloid, who hangs with with Avril, makes it to the space elevator and then...dies offscreen. Avril Mentions "Tabloid got that new system he wanted" except that's not something you ever hear about. It suggests Tabloid was supposed to have a much larger role at one point(and would have likely replaced Nickelback as your flight buddy), and presumably his "New system" would be connected to why a dude who presumably threw a rock at a government building ended up in a military penal unit as a fighter pilot.
-The whole cutscene with Avril blackmailing Mckinsey to get on his plane, and then she doesn't bother to take it, feels pointless and a waste of a cutscene.
-One other thing that bugged me replaying the game was Cosette confronting Pedo Schrodinger at the space elevator and suddenly asking him about Harlings Mirror. Which struck me as "Why the fuck at you asking him, Cosette?". Cosette and Avril apparently came up with the idea on the boat ride over a couple hours before. Schrodinger wasn't on that boat and not part of that conversation, so unless it's meant to show off how fucking out of it Cossette is supposed to be, it feels like sloppy writing.

I really did enjoy playing the game but damn if the plot doesn't annoy the crap out of me.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild-

So I started playing this for the first time a month or so back but wanted to get a bit into it before talking about it. Having this morning finished my first Divine Beast, the Elephant(Vah Ruto). It's definitely an interesting experience, both for a Zelda game and an Open world game. I do particularly enjoy how the game more or less let's you figure out what you want to do and go do it when you want, with some guiding quests to help nudge you in the right direction. You start with your shirt, pants and whatever the hell you can find lying around, as well as whatever food you come across, and gradually work up to better abilities, equipment and knowledge of what to do.

The shrines are an interesting take on leveling up and fast travel, that instead of doing a handful of big dungeons, there's a bunch of shrines that act as fast travel locations and when the puzzle/battle within is solved you earn coupons(spirit orbs) you can eventually trade in for either health or stamina upgrades. Even if the puzzle is too tough for the moment, acting as a fast travel location means you can come back any time. There's also a number of towers which function much the way ubisoft ones do. Climbing up is a puzzle and reaching the top updates your map and gives you a new fast travel location(as well as a great place to scan for points of interest like Shrines and such).

The Divine beasts are an interesting experience because based on the one I've done, it's "Prepare for the assault on the beast, do a battleship Raid Sequence in order to disable and board it, traverse it like a dungeon(the only thing close to a traditional zelda dungeon in the game so far) to activate all the terminals and then fight a boss to fully activate it". In the case of Vah Ruto, I needed to go find a bunch of shock arrows on the top of a nearby mountain, near an angry lynel, which was kind of frustrating because I was told it's on top of a mountain. There's a sign that points the way but there's no path to climb the mountain(I wasted at least 30 minutes looking for anything other then a sheer cliff). Then I realized the Zora Armor I was given literally allows me to swim vertically up waterfalls like a bullet. I assumed the Zora Armor allows me to swim better, not move vertically up waterfalls, something the neither the game prior to this or the previous games even hint you should be able to do.

Probably my biggest gripe so far is the weapon degradation, which even for presumably well made weapons feels like everything falls apart too quickly. You pick up new weapons willy nilly all over the place but naturally you want to have the best ones you can and storage space is initially limited(Korok Seeds can be traded for more storage slots) so every so often there's "Open chest, *Your inventory is full*, look at inventory to figure out what weapon/bow/shield to discard to pick up this new one" and it gets a little bit irritating at times.

It also feels like making money is a bit harder then normal. Presumably the best way to make money is to sell stuff but since everything is useful I don't really want to sell stuff I could be either cooking(animal parts), using for upgrading(the monster parts) or presumably something else down the line(minerals found in nodes). So I've more or less been hoarding the stuff I find because I don't know what is really going to be useful later and there's no clear vendor trash. It's not terrible but I need to retock my arrows after Vah Ruto and apparently also pay to open up new fairy fountains somewhere down the line, so I don't want to just waste money if I don't know how to make more easily.

That being said, I am having fun exploring and getting progressively powerful and while the world is Huge, it doesn't feel like it's either crammed with stuff like Ubiosft does, nor completely empty except for grinding materials and recruits like MGSV had. While I haven't gotten much of the story, I am enjoying finding the story beats along the way. Nintendo found a nice sweet spot between the two at least so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: happyninja42

Chupathingy

CONTROL Agent
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
In contrast the Thunderbolt II is only good at airstrikes, which isn't very helpful when almost every mission has enemy aircraft.
Which is what makes it such a common 'challenge run' plane by many AC fans. For a long time the AC series has indirectly encouraged replaying missions and trying out different, but not necessarily better, ways of playing.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Which is what makes it such a common 'challenge run' plane by many AC fans. For a long time the AC series has indirectly encouraged replaying missions and trying out different, but not necessarily better, ways of playing.
That and machine gun only runs, No damage runs(which is one of the sole purposes AA guns have in this game is to prevent you for completing one) and of course, finding all of the optional ACE planes and shooting them down.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The Divine beasts are an interesting experience because based on the one I've done, it's "Prepare for the assault on the beast, do a battleship Raid Sequence in order to disable and board it, traverse it like a dungeon(the only thing close to a traditional zelda dungeon in the game so far) to activate all the terminals and then fight a boss to fully activate it". In the case of Vah Ruto, I needed to go find a bunch of shock arrows on the top of a nearby mountain, near an angry lynel, which was kind of frustrating because I was told it's on top of a mountain. There's a sign that points the way but there's no path to climb the mountain(I wasted at least 30 minutes looking for anything other then a sheer cliff). Then I realized the Zora Armor I was given literally allows me to swim vertically up waterfalls like a bullet. I assumed the Zora Armor allows me to swim better, not move vertically up waterfalls, something the neither the game prior to this or the previous games even hint you should be able to do.
Yeah I already had enough of the shock arrows before doing that beast, that I didn't need to climb up and gather any first. All the beasts work that way basically. "Gather X number of Y type arrow before assaulting the beast" So, pro tip, just gather up 20+ of all the arrow types and bombs and stuff from shops, and you will be able to just bypass that "Go here to gather Y arrows"

Probably my biggest gripe so far is the weapon degradation, which even for presumably well made weapons feels like everything falls apart too quickly. You pick up new weapons willy nilly all over the place but naturally you want to have the best ones you can and storage space is initially limited(Korok Seeds can be traded for more storage slots) so every so often there's "Open chest, *Your inventory is full*, look at inventory to figure out what weapon/bow/shield to discard to pick up this new one" and it gets a little bit irritating at times.
Yes, very irritating.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
It also feels like making money is a bit harder then normal. Presumably the best way to make money is to sell stuff but since everything is useful I don't really want to sell stuff I could be either cooking(animal parts), using for upgrading(the monster parts) or presumably something else down the line(minerals found in nodes). So I've more or less been hoarding the stuff I find because I don't know what is really going to be useful later and there's no clear vendor trash. It's not terrible but I need to retock my arrows after Vah Ruto and apparently also pay to open up new fairy fountains somewhere down the line, so I don't want to just waste money if I don't know how to make more easily.
I rarely used anything other than stamina food for the majority of the game, to help with climbing. Various elemental resist food/potions were also situationally helpful, but you can also just find outfits that make you immune to those elements effects. So I started selling the various stacks of random animal bits, and monster parts to have cash. Oh! Also, there is a minigame that you can do over and over, that most people say is the best way to make cash. I think it's a snowball bowling game in one of the icey regions. It's pretty easy to figure out the method to line up and get a strike (or at least a spare) almost every time, which nets you...I think it was like 100 rupees or so? And you could just repeat it. You are technically betting some rupees on each match of bowling, but it's easy to just save scum right at the challenge if you flub it, and try again. You can easily get lots of cash that way. Just check YT for videos on how to do that.

If you don't want to do that, or you can't currently safely survive the icy mountaintop regions, just sell the various goblin/koblin/gobbo/whatever they are called, trash mobs you fight over and over, and have giant stacks of their bits. You really don't need all of them. I don't recall EVER using their parts for potions that I found actually useful. As for cash in general, I only remember actively needing money to pay the BBW brothel cougars to have sex with them. Sorry, I mean "the fairy queens to cuddle/stroke/kiss me in their secret underground layers for upgrades to my armor sets" They would charge you several hundred/thousand rupees per upgrade, so they were the biggest, single investment I can recall. Everything else was just random loot stuff, that I usually didn't bother using. You can EASILY find the cooking materials to make the 2 most important food items (in my opinion) the +Max Stamina food for climbing, and the +Max Health food for combat. Then just regular healing food too of course. Everything else, I just, never really bothered with that much. I had stacks and stacks of stuff just filling my bags, for no real reason.

That's actually one of my biggest gripes about the game, is the crafting bloat, that ultimately isn't really all that useful or necessary. 99% of it is so situational, and redundant when you have outfits, that I never bothered.

Seriously this and my last post were apparently too long/complex for this forums posting system. Sheesh.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild-

It kinda makes me wonder if Nintendo ever patches their games. That’s by far the biggest complaint I’ve heard and it seems they must either think the game would be thrown out of balance if it was changed, or they simply neglect the feedback. It does sound like a major point of contention in what seems to be an otherwise rather brilliant game. I’d hope the Master Sword wouldn’t be so disposable at least.

Anyways, just spent the first night of really fighting Owl in Sekiro, or at least attempting to. It’s pretty telling how every boss makes me feel like a scrub at first; except maybe Headless Ape and Sideape. I was feeling pretty good after taking out the three interior ministry ninjas on the roof and the Lone Shadow Vilehand rather easily too, only to get stomped by the huge bird man.

I’ve gotten comfortable with oh, a bit over half of his repertoire now though, but haven’t quite developed a sound offensive plan yet. Nearly had the first deathblow a couple times but still sloppy in reacting to his own offense, which is pretty aggressive and often covers a lot of lateral space. He also retaliates quickly, and ichimonji has too many recovery frames to be all that worthwhile outside of some countering. If I had Projected Force I might try using the loaded umbrella but I don’t think any prosthetics help enough here. He’s generally too quick to bother with firecrackers. Might just stick to shuriken here and there for his jumping attack.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
It kinda makes me wonder if Nintendo ever patches their games. That’s by far the biggest complaint I’ve heard and it seems they must either think the game would be thrown out of balance if it was changed, or they simply neglect the feedback. It does sound like a major point of contention in what seems to be an otherwise rather brilliant game. I’d hope the Master Sword wouldn’t be so disposable at least.
It is still that way, at least as of roughly 1-2 years ago, when I played it. The funny thing is that it mostly made me not do combat all that much, because my brain kept telling me "don't damage your weapon!"

Thinking about it, my go to strategy, was to farm the shrine guardians for their weapon parts. Just remember the ones that are combat shrines, and just fast travel right to them. If you are comfortable enough to easily farm those ancient guardians in a fight, you can easily get their weapons. Just FT between a handful of shrines, and you've got an arsenal of strong weapons with good durability. And then, when the blood moon pops, they reset, and you can repeat. That was my usual routine if I was actively plowing through weapons, and felt my supply was running low.

As to the Master Sword. It doesn't break, but it will be on a 10 minute cooldown if you use it on non-ancient enemies.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Random Souls question (I know), but I just saw this

And it made me wonder if it's common, if even possible, for an invader, to HELP the player they invade? I know you can just call for help, but was curious if invaders, following "proper invader etiquette" will actually try and help you out with douchebag bosses.