Movie, TV, Web Series, and Music Hot Take(s).

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
What annoyed me more is that that is literally the only nomination FATWS received. Nothing for Sebastian Stan. Nothing for Anthony Mackie. Nothing for Wyatt Russell. But Don Cheadle showed up for about a minute and a half, and he's a name people know, so there's the nomination.
What annoys ME is the fact that people still get riled up about who and what does or does not win/get nominated for arbitrary awards. Oscars, Emmys, Golden Globes, etc., they're all the result of a select group of elitists' subjective opinions and mean nothing. Watch the films that intrigue you, appreciate them or don't; that's it. I've seen countless award winners and nominees that left me feeling like I wanted those hours of my life back (looking specifically at you, Once Upon A Time In Hollywood; ) the awards mean NOTHING. We've known this for years, yet every year we have this same tired discussion over the unjustness of it all as if it matters.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
What annoys ME is the fact that people still get riled up about who and what does or does not win/get nominated for arbitrary awards. Oscars, Emmys, Golden Globes, etc., they're all the result of a select group of elitists' subjective opinions and mean nothing. Watch the films that intrigue you, appreciate them or don't; that's it. I've seen countless award winners and nominees that left me feeling like I wanted those hours of my life back (looking specifically at you, Once Upon A Time In Hollywood; ) the awards mean NOTHING. We've known this for years, yet every year we have this same tired discussion over the unjustness of it all as if it matters.
I never care much for the academy awards and Oscars to begin with, but I just know by 2008 my response was more or less "fuck you." It was around that time when the dark night did not get an Oscar and everyone in an outside the internet and across the entire country went ape shit. I don't blame them, and I agree with them. I told myself if they don't consider it Oscar worthy, I do. Their opinions don't matter in the end. They did open up several slots later, but that was kind of after the fact and just damage control. Once again, another self-congratulatory pat on each other's backs for doing absolutely nothing.

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Yup. Nothing stopping someone here from starting a poll for someone's favourite movie of this year.

Also, apart from the awards being rubbish anyway, might be better to select movies from, say, 5 years ago, after the hype has died down.

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
I can't believe it's taken me this long to bust this one out, but here we go:

Neon Genesis Evangelion is a maddeningly overrated, incoherent, hypocritical, badly told, confused mess, and the only version of its main storyline that's even close to competent is the manga. The only reason it's even remembered is because of how it imploded from episode 18 onwards. You can throw out buzzword excuses like "deconstruction" or "subversion" all you want, but that doesn't save it from bad worldbuilding, unlikable characters, muddled messages and pointless filler.

FIght me motherfuckers.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Neon Genesis Evangelion is a maddeningly overrated, incoherent, hypocritical, badly told, confused mess, and the only version of its main storyline that's even close to competent is the manga. The only reason it's even remembered is because of how it imploded from episode 18 onwards. You can throw out buzzword excuses like "deconstruction" or "subversion" all you want, but that doesn't save it from bad worldbuilding, unlikable characters, muddled messages and pointless filler.

FIght me motherfuckers.
I 100% agree with you. The reason I didn't say anything, because I ranted enough about the series at this point on other posts and different topics. I felt someone else would take a crack at it.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

FIght me motherfuckers.
The least hot take in Anime since 1997 :p

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Here’s a hot take and a half:

The Dark Knight is a shitty Batman movie. As much as I hated BvS, Ben Affleck was a better Batman for his ten minute stoush in that warehouse than Christian Bale ever was in his whole saga. Heath Ledger is an overrated Joker who lacks the smooth of Romero, the proper gangster menace of Nicholson and the hilarious schemes of Hamil.

Reactions: twistedmic

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The Dark Knight is a shitty Batman movie
No.

As much as I hated BvS, Ben Affleck was a better Batman for his ten minute stoush in that warehouse than Christian Bale ever was in his whole saga.
There both awesome in their own unique way. I will give Affleck extra credit and being the most combat flexible Batman in live-action.

Heath Ledger is an overrated Joker who lacks the smooth of Romero, the proper gangster menace of Nicholson and the hilarious schemes of Hamil.
I agree to an extent, but Heath has his own charm that works for that era of Batman just like the others. My top Joker will always be Hamill; that will never change. TDK!Joker was meant to be dirty, grungy, and cold and off kilter. That was the point though. If anything, all Nolan did was bring the characteristics he had in his first appearance back in the the original comics. So you're literally just insulting his early characterization. I don't have a problem with it, just pointing it out.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Here’s a hot take and a half:

The Dark Knight is a shitty Batman movie. As much as I hated BvS, Ben Affleck was a better Batman for his ten minute stoush in that warehouse than Christian Bale ever was in his whole saga. Heath Ledger is an overrated Joker who lacks the smooth of Romero, the proper gangster menace of Nicholson and the hilarious schemes of Hamil.
It's massively over-rated, and not nearly as clever as it tries to be, yeah.

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
Three minutes in a Ralph Bakshi film, even his shittier ones, have more heart than anything 99.9% of anime has ever shat out.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Van Damme is a good actor. Yes, he had his troubles starting out, but got better with experience and age. Even in career during 90s, his acting was already improving. See Double Impact, Hard Target, or some of his later straight-to-DVD films like In Hell.

Red Letter Media I despise and they're part of the big problem and what is wrong with film criticism on the Internet.

Last edited:

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Piggybacking off of BrawlMan, Schwarzenegger has well earned his stripes as an actor, and not just as an action star. His sense of comedic timing is nearly impeccable, and when he needs to put emotion into a scene, he actually does it quite well. It's just that a lot of his movies don't call for that, and so he doesn't.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
While we're at it, Nic Cage. While best known for his voracious scenery-chewing, insane performances and being in bad movies, the man is quite capable of some really legit acting chops, when he wants to.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Piggybacking off of BrawlMan, Schwarzenegger has well earned his stripes as an actor, and not just as an action star. His sense of comedic timing is nearly impeccable, and when he needs to put emotion into a scene, he actually does it quite well. It's just that a lot of his movies don't call for that, and so he doesn't.
Out of curiosity, which movies have shown him putting emotion into his scenes?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
While we're at it, Nic Cage. While best known for his voracious scenery-chewing, insane performances and being in bad movies, the man is quite capable of some really legit acting chops, when he wants to.
Agreed. It's more the roles he pick than his inability to act. Transcript from the phone call between him and John Woo: "Hey, Nick, we got a movie where two guys switch faces... No, they literally, surgically switch faces... So we're gonna need to you pretend to be a guy whose pretending to be another guy... John Travolta... Yeah, he's on board; we're gonna need you to pretend to be Travolta pretending to be you. Ok?... Great shooting starts on Monday, see ya' then."

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Agreed. It's more the roles he pick than his inability to act. Transcript from the phone call between him and John Woo: "Hey, Nick, we got a movie where two guys switch faces... No, they literally, surgically switch faces... So we're gonna need to you pretend to be a guy whose pretending to be another guy... John Travolta... Yeah, he's on board; we're gonna need you to pretend to be Travolta pretending to be you. Ok?... Great shooting starts on Monday, see ya' then."
Ironic enough, originally was supposed to be Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone doing the roles. Imagine a universe where they play each other in Face/Off.

Last edited: