Funny events in anti-woke world

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
thankfully did, but this someone is still around me and I'll frequently hear them shouting about something "woke" in a commercial or talkshow, and how the mainstream is all Left.
And they need to take lesson from you and get the fuck over themselves.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
There are two events that I think are oldies but goldies around two alt righters from the gamergate era

-The first is Carl ''Sargon of Akkad'' Benjamin who thought he had acquired the influence to run for Ukip. Aside from being pelted with fish he became noteworthy for openly speculating whether he would or wouldn't rape Labour politicians and for having Farage himself denounce him. He didn't get a seat and Ukip got slaughtered.

-There's also a fellow by the name of Mundane Matt who once got accused of abusing the Youtube copyright system against his critics within the alt right. On a big online meeting of many alt right channels he defended himself from the accusation only for one of the alt righters to point out Youtube has a tab detailing your history of flagging videos. Hilariously he was forced to show this tab which was full of their videos he had flagged and he got racked over the coals for it. I think he was mostly spat out by even the alt right after that.

On the home front the Netherlands also has their own alt right champion in the form of Thiery Baudet. Originally he was seen as the reasonable alternative to Geert Wilders but he soon spiraled into increasingly clownish and far more openly malicious behavior. Most amusingly is that he once tweeted about his dear (female) friends getting harassed by Moroccan migrants in the train, and that the people of the Netherlands should rise up to save the nation from the migrant threat. It then came to light that these ''harassers'' were in fact train conductors and that his friends had neglected to buy a ticket. The funny thing is that Baudet doubled down and never tried explaining exactly how train conductors doing their job magically transformed into evil migrants harassing white woman.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I'm sure the anti-woke posters will be in here very shortly to decry the cancellation of Guto Harri. Dwarvenhobble and such.

Yep, any minute now.
Oh I'm sorry I didn't even know what was going on with GB news as it's not something I pay attention I saw the name Nigel Farage attached when it was talked about launching and figured it was probably some weird new grift and my brain switched off and started playing the ordinary bloke song from Newzoids like a month or so ago when it was first launched.

Either way dumb all round and dumb for GBnews

Dumb to not have a position on it to begin with, very dumb to then fire the person for doing it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
On the home front the Netherlands also has their own alt right champion in the form of Thiery Baudet. Originally he was seen as the reasonable alternative to Geert Wilders but he soon spiraled into increasingly clownish and far more openly malicious behavior. Most amusingly is that he once tweeted about his dear (female) friends getting harassed by Moroccan migrants in the train, and that the people of the Netherlands should rise up to save the nation from the migrant threat. It then came to light that these ''harassers'' were in fact train conductors and that his friends had neglected to buy a ticket. The funny thing is that Baudet doubled down and never tried explaining exactly how train conductors doing their job magically transformed into evil migrants harassing white woman.
There was also the case of texted messages from his party's youth division being revealed and being horrendously racist and anti-semitic. And from Baudet himself saying shit like 'You wouldn't want your daughter to come home with a black guy, would you?' He also very typically compared having to wear masks to Nazi occupation in WW2 just days before Liberation Day. And how Trump actually did win the election.

Wilders is already a piece of shit, and Baudet is like the maggot infested, vomit covered version of him. And while Wilders' racism is squarely aimed at muslims, and has spoken out against anti-semitism and homophobia, he most certainly won't speak out against Baudet because he knows he'll lose the racist vote if he does. Wilders apparently got a lot of shit from that crowd when he posted a picture of himself getting vaccinated.

Last edited:

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
There was also the case of texted messages from his party's youth division being revealed and being horrendously racist and anti-semitic. And from Baudet himself saying shit like 'You wouldn't want your daughter to come home with a black guy, would you?' He also very typically compared having to wear masks to Nazi occupation in WW2 just days before Liberation Day. And how Trump actually did win the election
Oh yes it was very funny when that led to the near collapse of the party. However retroactively it became less funny when it turned out Baudet managed to salvage the party by fully embracing the covid conspiracy nutjobs and gain 6 new seats from it. Then again its also funny how the key figure in this loony movement abandoned him and started his own party when baudet's use had ran out.
Wilders is already a piece of shit, and Baudet is like the maggot infested, vomit covered version of him. And while Wilders' racism is squarely aimed and muslims, and has spoken out against anti-semitism and homophobia, he most certainly won't speak out against Baudet because he knows he'll lose the racist vote if he does. Wilders apparently got a lot of shit from that crowd when he posted a picture of himself getting vaccinated.
I'll say I never started respecting Wilders more then when it seemed Baudet would gobble up his party and replace him. Wilders is all around just horrible but there are at least some respectful things about him. He's an iron strong debater and a very, very skilled politician. And where Baudet jumped on the loony train Wilders at least seems mostly responsible regarding Covid which tragically seemed to have cost him votes.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'll say I never started respecting Wilders more then when it seemed Baudet would gobble up his party and replace him. Wilders is all around just horrible but there are at least some respectful things about him. He's an iron strong debater and a very, very skilled politician. And where Baudet jumped on the loony train Wilders at least seems mostly responsible regarding Covid which tragically seemed to have cost him votes.
His rhetoric paved the way for people like Baudet, so there's very little respect I can muster for Wilders. The fact that Baudet still has a fucking career in politics after everything that has come out about him shows how fucked the situation has become, and Wilders bears a large responsibility for that.

Also, as stong as a debater as he might be he's a very big fan of petty name calling during debates, which is pretty pathetic for a politician.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Dumb to not have a position on it to begin with, very dumb to then fire the person for doing it.
Cool, I do like to see the consistency at least.

So the right-wingers boycotting the channel when a presenter takes the knee--- this is cancel culture, right?

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Cool, I do like to see the consistency at least.

So the right-wingers boycotting the channel when a presenter takes the knee--- this is cancel culture, right?
Did they call for the presenter to be fired or just say they objected to it so weren't going to watch?

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
The funny thing is that Baudet doubled down and never tried explaining exactly how train conductors doing their job magically transformed into evil migrants harassing white woman.
I think the logic is that because immigrants shouldn't have jobs that can go to white people instead, therefore so long as there is one unemployed white person in the Netherlands, Moroccan Dutch doing their jobs as train conductors are just dark-skinned people harassing white women.

No, I'm kidding. The real reason is that he doesn't need to explain why he lied, because the supporters of such people don't care.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Did they call for the presenter to be fired or just say they objected to it so weren't going to watch?
Yes remember people. You can demonise and threaten death. But once you ask for some to not have a job anymore you've done a naughty. But it doesn't count if I say, 'I'll boycott you until that political nonsense is gone.' The political nonsense here being a a person that you want either forced to act a certain way or to be removed. Because boycotting is good. That's logic

Reactions: Buyetyen

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Yes remember people. You can demonise and threaten death. But once you ask for some to not have a job anymore you've done a naughty. But it doesn't count if I say, 'I'll boycott you until that political nonsense is gone.' The political nonsense here being a a person that you want either forced to act a certain way or to be removed. Because boycotting is good. That's logic
Oh yeh I forgot how that went on in the other thread.

Yeh I totally forgot people were pushing the position death threats and just plain libel was fine before. Also GB news could have just gone "We didn't have a clear position on this before we've updated our position on it and staff this may impact have been made aware of the changes". Done you deal with the objections to kneeling without getting rid of a person as a scapegoat as such.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Yeh I totally forgot people were pushing the position death threats and just plain libel was fine before.
They weren't, you're conflating it with criticism. Again.

But yeah, it took me a few minutes to find people on Twitter calling for his dismissal or celebrating the fact he was let go.

But you didn't consider it a requirement of 'cancel culture' for the speaker to actually call for someone to be fired, remember.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
They weren't, you're conflating it with criticism. Again.

But yeah, it took me a few minutes to find people on Twitter calling for his dismissal or celebrating the fact he was let go.

But you didn't consider it a requirement of 'cancel culture' for the speaker to actually call for someone to be fired, remember.
Nope I people kept on about criticism when people were clearly on about the death threats etc.

You have 2 options
It was deflection
It was conflation

which do you want to say it was?1

Also you don't have to call for the speaker to be fired for it to be cancel culture when you're threatening to murder their family or trying to have them arrested as a child murderer or absolute monster. At that stage you've gone beyond calling for them to be fired on the scale of just desire to cancel the person.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Nope I people kept on about criticism when people were clearly on about the death threats etc.
Literally nobody justified death threats and harassment. Some people defended criticisms. You then said that they've been defending harassment and abuse.

That's conflation.

Reactions: BrawlMan

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Not quite so funny, but Tories gonna Tory...

Petition in case any fellow island dwellers do not appreciate the idea of importing America's voter suppression tactics.

Reactions: BrawlMan and Agema

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Literally nobody justified death threats and harassment. Some people defended criticisms. You then said that they've been defending harassment and abuse.

That's conflation.

You have 2 options
It was deflection
It was conflation

which do you want to say it was?1

Also you don't have to call for the speaker to be fired for it to be cancel culture when you're threatening to murder their family or trying to have them arrested as a child murderer or absolute monster. At that stage you've gone beyond calling for them to be fired on the scale of just desire to cancel the person.
So was it deflection or conflation from the people doing so because they weren't addressing what people were actually saying when they said death threats and libel were things often done in cancel culture.
No-one
No fucking one talking about how death threats and libel were part of cancel culture was on about criticism.

Don't blame me when some others kept trying to claim making up whatever egregious libel you like should be seen as valid criticism.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
So was it deflection or conflation from the people doing so because they weren't addressing what people were actually saying when they said death threats and libel were things often done in cancel culture.
Neither. Since abuse and harassment are not indivisible or integral to what you describe as "cancel culture", its neither deflection nor conflation to defend criticism that also gets described as "cancel culture".

What you're doing is conflation on the other hand. Someone defends criticism, and you accuse them of defending abuse.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not quite so funny, but Tories gonna Tory...

Petition in case any fellow island dwellers do not appreciate the idea of importing America's voter suppression tactics.

Seriously, can this guy go fuck off and die underneath a rock somewhere out of everyone's sight?