Do we have enough video footage evidence yet to prove Biden is senile?

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I mean, when he wasn't senile, he would use those moments to put his foot into his mouth. I'm inclined to wonder if he maybe finally just starting noticing when he was headed toward a dumb thing to stay and instead diverts clumsily away from it. When he's at his sharpest, he still says things like "you can't go into a 7-11 in Delaware without a slight indian accent", so is trailing off at times really a downgrade?

Edit: and to be clear, cause they might have come off as a little meaner than I want, I like that Joe Biden talks off the cuff the way he does. He's a lot worse at it in some ways than he used to be, but he's still out there trying.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Huh, so it's just after 6 months of him being POTUS. I guess all the "we know for certain he'll be dead in 6 months" looks a bit silly. We know for certain he's senile isn't falsifiable, I guess.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yeah, pretty harmless. At worst it's indicative of how American politics is clamped onto the old guard, instead of trying to inject some young blood. Biden is the most inactive president America's had in a while, and his only purpose is to not have Trump there; he's the old newspaper meant to cover up the smelly dogshit, while someone else actually makes plans to pick it up and get rid of it. Wake me when he accidentally talks about nuking Canada or something. Compared to all the heinous shit Trump has said Biden's old man brain is peanuts.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I think it is 35 at minimum actually.
Constitutionally-approved ageism.

And it's fine to hate the other guy. But at some point you have to consider the ramifications of who sits in that chair. Biden can't remember words, how can he remember policy, how can he remember political power situations, treaties, war, it's not good. You can't have someone who cannot visibly operate sitting at the HIGHEST position of power.
Unfortunately, you've made this complaint utterly futile by your own reasoning. You want to complain about a president who forgets bits of how the country works, but trivialise criticism of his predecessor who never knew anything about how the country works in the first place.

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
Reminds me of that South Park epsiode in which they had to vote between a Giant Douche and a Shit Sandwich. The moral of the always was, "It's ALWAYS between a Giant Douche and a Shit Sandwich." that's the magic of politics, in that literally everyone involved is a scumbag.
But when I bring up voting outside of the usual parties, I get screamed at....

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
I still remember the days when it was considered unethical to speculate about Trump's mental health. When the mentally imbalanced demagogue showed signs of dementia it was suddenly impolite to speculate on it.

And didn't this whole ''Biden is extremely senile'' spiel backfire spectacularly last time? In the election Biden was slandered as extremely senile to such a degree that all he needed to do was show up to the debate wearing pants to prove things wrong. Because this typically isn't speculated under the assumption we should be cautious, but that Biden should already be in a retirement home.

Reactions: bobdark

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
And didn't this whole ''Biden is extremely senile'' spiel backfire spectacularly last time? In the election Biden was slandered as extremely senile to such a degree that all he needed to do was show up to the debate wearing pants to prove things wrong. Because this typically isn't speculated under the assumption we should be cautious, but that Biden should already be in a retirement home.
Cognitive function declines with age; dementia is a decline in cognitive function beyond that of normal. At mild cognitive impairment (MCI) or even early Alzheimer's (AD), someone can still be effective in their job: a high performer with mild AD is likely better than a mediocrity. The author Iris Murdoch wrote I think at least one book whilst with early AD: it was still well received even if subsequent analysis showed a significant decrease in vocabulary and fluency.

Also, we need to have a reality check. I've sat in interview panels and listened to teens, 20-somethings, 30-somethings, 40-somethings and 50-somethings dribble out a load of confused waffle. I've done it in an interview, and I've done it teaching - just lost the plot and had to go back and start that bit again. There can be an element of prejudice here: if a 30/40/50-something politician does it, we just laugh it off that they've made a fool of themselves. If they're over 70, it gets called senility or dementia, rather than just being the same sort of flubs literally everyone makes.

I would however say: if all your country's presidential candidates are 70+, you probably need to have a careful think about whether you're doing things right. In fact, I think we need to ask serious questions about whether so many politicians at any level should be going on long past an age we expect normal people to retire, never mind the highest offices in the land. I would expect a person to need sufficient experience for a top job and put that maybe 40 as a minimum, and anyone into late sixties I'd start to think we would do better with fresh blood.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Yeah, pretty harmless. At worst it's indicative of how American politics is clamped onto the old guard, instead of trying to inject some young blood. Biden is the most inactive president America's had in a while, and his only purpose is to not have Trump there; he's the old newspaper meant to cover up the smelly dogshit, while someone else actually makes plans to pick it up and get rid of it. Wake me when he accidentally talks about nuking Canada or something. Compared to all the heinous shit Trump has said Biden's old man brain is peanuts.
Ok. Congrats. Trump isn't president anymore, now get rid of Biden too.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
the ossified layer of gerontocracy in our institutions shouldn't distract us from the oligarchy that it serves.

Pretty sure most people on the forum aren't impressed with Biden, excepting as an alternative to Trump.
'impressed' even by comparison to Trump is a vast overstatement in many cases. like mine!

For example, as regards sanctions on Cuba, the "harm reduction" candidate is making things worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: crimson5pheonix

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The thing I find funny about this, is the implication from those who are being critical of Biden, that those of us on the left, don't actually mostly agree. I don't think a lot of us WANTED Biden. It was literally a case of the least horrible choice. So yeah, he's not great. He's got some serious problems that make us wish we had someone else more qualified in the role. But, "someone else" didn't win the fucking primary, so we work with what we've got. Because the alternative was a narcissistic, tyrannical, ego maniac, who is a complete idiot about anything and everything.

Biden isn't great, but he's basically the semi-competent ensign that we've stuck behind the wheel of the ship, because the captain was drunk and trying to fuck the poop deck, while the ship was driving headlong towards a cliff. Yeah, the ensign probably isn't great for the job long term, but, he can at least mostly steer the fucking ship and avoid dangerous obstacles, instead of turning the fucking ship INTO the oncoming threat. He's got problems, especially when under stress, but since the rest of the crew are busy physically restraining the drunken captain, and the rest of his chucklefuck crewmates, who also got drunk while on duty, and are STILL actively trying to sink the fucking ship, we're kind of busy with damage control. We hope ensign Biden can at least not fucking make things worse. That's really all we're aiming for with this presidency.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Also, we need to have a reality check. I've sat in interview panels and listened to teens, 20-somethings, 30-somethings, 40-somethings and 50-somethings dribble out a load of confused waffle. I've done it in an interview, and I've done it teaching - just lost the plot and had to go back and start that bit again. There can be an element of prejudice here: if a 30/40/50-something politician does it, we just laugh it off that they've made a fool of themselves. If they're over 70, it gets called senility or dementia, rather than just being the same sort of flubs literally everyone makes.
Sure and even if we want to step back and say okay Biden's mentality is fine. He just sucks at public speaking, or giving speeches, then we also have to acknowledge that he isn't a good person for a figurehead. Public speaking is a huge part of the job because that's what allows the public to understand the decision making that happens with the office and the situations around the world. This is a guy who sat right next to world leaders and could only smile as they laughed at him for being unable to speak or even remember something that Boris Johnson said 6 fucking seconds ago. You can't have the rest of the world laughing at your "leader". It wasnt good when George Bush Jr, did it, it wasn't good with Clinton got a hummer, it wasn't good when they laughed at Trump either.

Maybe you are right, I think younger blood needs to be put into place because the country isn't run by the geriatric, it's run by the middle aged. I think the best thing the country can do is institute a mandatory retirement age for all political office. Say 60 years old, and while plenty of people are perfectly fine at 60+, there is a need for ideas to refresh and rotate through the political institution that I think would only serve better levels of change.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I don't think a lot of us WANTED Biden. It was literally a case of the least horrible choice.
I think this was why Trump won as well. People fucking HATED Hillary, she was an obvious corrupt criminal villain and people went with Trump because he was the only other option. She had an insurmountable level of distrust with the public, that was never going to be overcome. I think if they had put Bernie forth, he would have MURDERED Trump in the election easily.

Maybe we need a battle royale system. Each party puts 4 people into the race and they hold public voting tournaments, the final winner is who becomes president.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren