A Formal Thread about Activision/Blizzard

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
From the way they sounded, it sounds like people have been using it every single day or for most of it's use or the past 15 years. And even if it doesn't get much use, it's the principle of the matter. These assholes would sooner try to please the people that spend the most money on their crappy DLC and micro transactions, but can't bother to offer the same courtesy for people that are black for those that were fine the word offensive. Which makes sense because the people on top are racist and sexist assholes. And they're more than happy to please assholes on the lower and higher class scale.
Now your throwing words in people's mouths. The accusations was sexual harassment. Not Racism.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Now your throwing words in people's mouths. The accusations was sexual harassment. Not Racism.
Racism exists at the company too. They sexually harassed women that are white or colored, but those that have darker skin got it the worst. I don't condone harassment regardless, but if somebody of darker skin gets it worst, that doubles as racism. I don't give a fuck what you think! The same thing happened at Ubisoft. Wake the fuck up! If you can't see that, then I have nothing left to say to you. Don't blind yourself, don't ever act oblivious, and never act indifferent in front of evil. Face it and call it out for what it is head on.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Racism exists at the company too. They sexually harassed women that are white or colored, but those that have darker skin got it the worst. I don't condone harassment regardless, but if somebody of darker skin gets it worst, that doubles as racism. I don't give a fuck what you think! The same thing happened at Ubisoft. Wake the fuck up! If you can't see that, then I have nothing left to say to you. Don't blind yourself, don't ever act oblivious, and never act indifferent in front of evil. Face it and call it out for what it is head on.
Lets get back to the not taking out the words in chat. The thing is text emotes functions different from people typing and spelling racial slurs. First off there's already a censorship in place, its in the options where it can filter out slurs and swears. And appear like this "%$%^&"

But the process to remove words completely is a bit more complicated because remember its people typing/spelling the words and they can have many ways to spell it in ways that can still say the slurs. Like they can space out the word, or alter it in a way that still says the slur. Its far more complicated to try to censor/remove then just remove a text emote that has already a "built in" sentence.

Its easy to remove "You spit on x" when its already spelled and built in that way.

its hard to remove words people themselves type and spell. So people can just type like this "N # ### ##" to get the slur across.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Lets get back to the not taking out the words in chat. The thing is text emotes functions different from people typing and spelling racial slurs. First off there's already a censorship in place, its in the options where it can filter out slurs and swears. And appear like this "%$%^&"

But the process to remove words completely is a bit more complicated because remember its people typing/spelling the words and they can have many ways to spell it in ways that can still say the slurs. Like they can space out the word, or alter it in a way that still says the slur. Its far more complicated to try to censor/remove then just remove a text emote that has already a "built in" sentence.

Its easy to remove "You spit on x" when its already spelled and built in that way.

its hard to remove words people themselves type and spell. So people can just type like this "N # ### ##" to get the slur across.
Sam, I don't freaking care anymore. I don't care about the little justifications of how this works or that works, Activision Blizzard is a shittyplace to work. They treat everybody as lower class and a reat those that are black or a different race even worst. There are reports of this happening. It ain't that hard to censor the n word in a chat. If they can remove a simple dumbass emoticon, they can remove a slur such as that. They just don't want to cuz they know racists assholes like them play the freaking game. I hate to say it, but you're partially defending them right now. I don't want to hear anything else. Just stop. You going about your day, I'm going to do something else.

Last edited:

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Sam, I don't freaking care anymore. I don't care about the little justifications of how this works or that works, Activision Blizzard is a shittyplace to work. They treat everybody as lower class and a trip those that are black or a different race even worst. There are reports of this happening. It ain't that hard to censor the n word in a chat. If they can remove a simple dumbass emoticon, they can remove a slur such as that. They just don't want to cuz they know racists assholes like them play the freaking game. I hate to say it, but you're partially defending them right now. I don't want to hear anything else. Just stop. You going about your day, I'm going to do something else.
Yeah I'm busy watching Deep Space Nine

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Here are the articles where it's explicitly told racism exists at the Acti-Blizz offices. Now you or anyone else that deny no longer have any excuses. So I don't want hear shit about putting words in peoples mouths. Deal with it. If you can't or don't want to believe what's happening, don't ever talk to me again.

There was racism, too. I definitely heard people being called [starkly racist slurs for Latin Americans], I heard that terminology come out of the North American floor. The Latin American team in general faced a lot of prejudice from the other representatives on the floor.

I heard the “n-word” several times — we didn’t have very many Black people that worked with us, by the way. There was an interview where at the very end, the woman saw a photo of a Black family in the room, and she said “I didn’t picture many Black people working at Blizzard.” And one of the managers interviewing her was like, “she’s perfect.”

The lawsuit was filed Tuesday in a Los Angeles court, alleging that Activision Blizzard — and its subsidiaries, including Blizzard Entertainment — allows sexism and discrimination across the company. Several top executives, including Blizzard president J. Allen Brack, are named in the lawsuit for knowing about and enabling this behavior. The DFEH said it conducted a two-year investigation into Activision Blizzard before filing the lawsuit.

Last edited:

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

Apparently a few Japanese players have been banned from Apex already because they said "nigero" (Means to run or run away) in chat, which shows the issues with this sort of thing.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Ah, here's an article on what I said about the Blizzard employees and boycotting.

So yeah, this doesn't sound like what people under a "horrible and oppressive fratboy culture" would say, so either most of the narrative is bull or these employees don't care and also want the news to die down so they can keep their jobs and making money.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Ah, here's an article on what I said about the Blizzard employees and boycotting.

So yeah, this doesn't sound like what people under a "horrible and oppressive fratboy culture" would say, so either most of the narrative is bull or these employees don't care and also want the news to die down so they can keep their jobs and making money.
I'll admit the news made it sound like it was literal hell on earth for women there.

Like it gave me the impression that as soon as you walk in the doors of the office building some guy walks in and kisses you on the lips and gropes your breast and slaps your butt as you walk away.

And I still have no idea what was really going on in that Cosby Suite.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA

"These people are not conforming to my stereotypes of how victims are supposed to behave, therefor there is no problem."

Reactions: BrawlMan

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
"These people are not conforming to my stereotypes of how victims are supposed to behave, therefor there is no problem."
Buyetyen, read the full post and everything else I've posted and use your brain to think up an actual response instead of farting on your keyboard. The alternative, as I said, is that there's employees at the company who are being assholes and saying, "I don't care, screw those people who were harassed, I want money."

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020

An Activision Blizzard shareholder has hit out at the company's response to the recent discrimination lawsuit.

As reported by Axios, SOC Investment Group's executive director Dieter Waizeneggar issued a letter to Activision Blizzard's lead independant director Robert J. Morgado, criticising the steps the company has said it is taking to address the ongoing culture crisis.

Last week, Activision Blizzard executives such as boss Bobby Kotick insisted "we will be the company that sets the example for this in our industry".

The State of California sued Activision Blizzard over what it alleges to be a "frat boy" culture that created "a breeding ground for harassment and discrimination against women".

The lawsuit alleges a culture of "constant sexual harassment", mainly at Blizzard Entertainment, the maker of World of Warcraft, Diablo and Overwatch.

A coalition of workers from across multiple Activision Blizzard studios, collectively called the ABK Workers Alliance, has already criticised the decision to hire WilmerHale - the same law firm helping Amazon keep its workers from unionising - to review the company.

While SOC is a shareholder in Activision Blizzard, it also sets out to hold corporations and their executives accountable for irresponsible and unethical corporate behaviour and excessive executive pay. Most recently, SOC, formerly known as CtW, encouraged Activision Blizzard shareholders to vote against Kotick's $155m pay package.

Now, it's putting pressure on the company again, saying recent promises to improve do not go "nearly far enough to address the deep and widespread issues with equity, inclusion, and human capital management".

Specifically, SOC said no changes had been announced regarding executive pay, and echoed the ABK Workers Alliance's criticism of the decision to hire WilmerHale to investigate. "This firm has a sterling reputation as a defender of the wealthy and connected, but it has no track record of uncovering wrongdoing, the lead investigator does not have in-depth experience investigating workplace harassment and abuse, and the scope of the investigation fails to address the full range of equity issues Mr. Kotick acknowledges," Waizeneggar wrote.

SOC called on Activision Blizzard to instead undertake a company-wide equity review that would encompass the full range of concerns.

"At this critical juncture in Activision Blizzard's history, we urge you and the board to push beyond the inadequate response from management and take the steps necessary to protect our investment from the financial, operational, and reputational risks that have come to the fore over the past week," Waizeneggar said.

More than 2000 current and former Activision Blizzard employees signed a petition calling the company's initial response to the recent discrimination lawsuit "abhorrent and insulting". Activision Blizzard boss Bobby Kotick later issued a statement calling this initial response "tone deaf".

Last week it was revealed under fire Activision Blizzard chief compliance officer Frances Townsend had stepped down from the company's women's network. Townsend remains at Activision Blizzard as chief compliance officer.

Activision Blizzard must now either respond to the lawsuit's claims within 30 days of being served, or question a procedural aspect of the case. If a judge lets the case proceed, we're looking at the discovery process before the judge decides if the case warrants going to trial.
Can't quite get over how ole Bobbsy in that photo looks so much like a little boy who's just crapped his pants and is so happy to be sitting in it all.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Here's that Blizz con clip from 2010. It's in the article.

Also, in that same article it is mentioned how black female employees were harassed and micromanaged. So racism not existing at Activision Blizzard is a bunch of bull. Further proof that it has been going on and this is not the only article that mentioned it.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Here's that Blizz con clip from 2010. It's in the article.

Also, in that same article it is mentioned how black female employees were harassed and micromanaged. So racism not existing at Activision Blizzard is a bunch of bull. Further proof that it has been going on and this is not the only article that mentioned it.
Here is the full quote from that article on this.

Meanwhile, Black women on staff say they were continually micromanaged, with one employee facing criticism from male supervisors for requesting time off, asking for help, and for her “body language,” according to the lawsuit.
Where does it say that only black women were micromanaged? Where does it say that only women were micromanaged? We're men also micromanaged? What does it even mean by micromanaged?
Who was this one employee that faced criticism? What was the criticism? How was the criticism presented to that employee? When we're they asking for time off? Had they already used their time off? How was her request denied? What was she asking for help with? Was it something she should have already known or was she being forced to do something complicated that no one had told her how to do before? What was her body language? Was it her putting her hands on her hips or was she flipping the bird to them? Was her request even denied? Did she get criticism but get what she requested anyway?

There's a lot of incredibly vague statements made in both this article and the lawsuit itself and I feel that not enough people are talking about that fact.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Where does it say that only black women were micromanaged? Where does it say that only women were micromanaged? We're men also micromanaged? What does it even mean by micromanaged?
Who was this one employee that faced criticism? What was the criticism? How was the criticism presented to that employee? When we're they asking for time off? Had they already used their time off? How was her request denied? What was she asking for help with? Was it something she should have already known or was she being forced to do something complicated that no one had told her how to do before? What was her body language? Was it her putting her hands on her hips or was she flipping the bird to them? Was her request even denied? Did she get criticism but get what she requested anyway?

There's a lot of incredibly vague statements made in both this article and the lawsuit itself and I feel that not enough people are talking about that fact.
Go back and read the article. I have nothing else to say. If you don't want to believe it that's your problem.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Don't say I never did anything.

Meanwhile, Black women on staff say they were continually micromanaged, with one employee facing criticism from male supervisors for requesting time off, asking for help, and for her “body language,” according to the lawsuit.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
That's an extraordinarily optimistic outlook. The only thing that's really going to cure toxic gaming culture is the ability to punch obnoxious manchildren in the mouth over the Internet.
“God, grant me the power to punch people in the face over standard TCP/IP”
—Support Officer’s Prayer