Funny Events of the "Woke" world

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Unknown date (link won't open properly for me)
June 2015
October 2015
October 2015

The company was founded in 2003. It's only because some medical research academics decided to look into the stuff at the start of 2015 (February to be precise) that any of this was exposed. Either the journalists etc were too incompetent to look into things or question things but fine promoting her and repeating her PR statements and claims uncritically or they didn't dare challenge her before then.

As I said

No-one checked the stuff, no-one challenged it, no-one questioned about lack of proof of them working or actual validation. Until some-one who was in a position to be heard did start asking the questions.
Suddenly the flood gates open and most of that really came from the Wall Street Journals October 2015 reporting

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
rentier capitalism, very woke
You do get that people only started complaining about the word "woke" when it was coopted by the rich, ivory tower leftists, and spread to corporate culture, right? Modern wokism is being carried by big corporations.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
You do get that people only started complaining about the word "woke" when it was coopted by the rich, ivory tower leftists, and spread to corporate culture, right? Modern wokism is being carried by big corporations.
I mean, all they have to do to earn the ire of a huge swath of the population is, like, having two dudes have breakfast together.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
So because a con-artist is a woman, the reason for people falling for it is 'being woke'? Because 'woman in STEM'?
I have to admit, not believing her just because she's a woman would have fixed that particular problem. Similarly, a picture with [ 11 : 54 ] accurately tells the time twice a day.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
False.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Yep.

The successful fraud that was Theranos was really about marketing and backing. A load of high profile and reputable backers, a very carefully crafted Steve Jobs-like image, and that's that. Lots of investors don't know shit about the science they're investing in. They won't hire their own genuine expert to tell them whether the stuff really works, they'll just take a look at a company, see all those big names associated with it, and assume they couldn't have all that support if it wasn't real, and then hand over their millions too. The more investors, the more "buzz" and PR, the more the ball keeps rolling. If you want to start arguing "Because woman boss", congratulations on being an anti-woke gobshite missing the real power and influence in society.

There will be skepticism and someone will be saying their science is a load of crap... but like I said, it's not the science that's really motivating investors and journalists, because they don't understand any of that so they'll just take the company's publicity fluff as truth.

It's one of the problems with business reporting these days: cutbacks have resulted in media tending to just publish corporate publicity without meaningful scrutiny. One of my flatmates way back in the day had resigned a few years before as a business journalist because his editor just told him to print the company PR.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Yah what? No it didnt. Using woke as a derogatory term started as an attack on BLM in 2012 who were using the term

https://theconversation.com/where-w...mping-on-the-social-activism-bandwagon-122713

The companies came way later
I don't think your source agrees with you. That link says it was used by activists from 2012 to 2016, not to attack them.
By September 2016, the phrase Black Lives Matter had been tweeted more than 30 million times. The phrase “stay woke” gained strength and became a symbol of movement and activism. Staying woke became the umbrella purpose for movements like #blacklivesmatter (fighting racism), the #MeToo movement (fighting sexism, and sexual misconduct), and the #NoBanNoWall movement (fighting for immigrants and refugees).

Big corporations on the look out for ways to develop attachment with their target audience, saw an opportunity beyond adopting human traits (humility, passion, sophistication) to adopt human behaviours (activism).

Riding on consumer tensions, corporations became activists, fighting for injustice. Nike’s social injustice campaign (featuring Colin Kaepernick), Pepsi’s short-lived advertisement featuring Kendall Jenner, and Gillette’s take on toxic masculinity, were among the most talked about examples.

But brands without a clear moral purpose were perceived by an increasingly cynical public as inauthentic: lecturing in morality but not practising what they preached. This spawned the meme “get woke, go broke”. On the one hand, corporations triggered public debate on key issues, on the other hand, they damaged the woke concept.
Emphasis mine. Your link is basically saying the same thing I am. "Woke" was used in some sense for decades, and used a lot by activists since BLM took off, but became a term used to attack people once corporations started using "woke" messaging to try and sell their brands.

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
Good. Maybe conservatives will have to make up their mind between calling me woke OR a communist.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Good. Maybe conservatives will have to make up their mind between calling me woke OR a communist.
I mean you can be both. (Not saying you are)

Plenty of LARPing wanna be communists out there who happily push the woke ideology claims because they believe under communism they'll land a cushy job as a re-education co-ordinator in the camps or state adviser on social justice policy thinking.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
So because a con-artist is a woman, the reason for people falling for it is 'being woke'? Because 'woman in STEM'?
No the reason for it being shut down for so long was that. It's idealism over reality. The idea of having funded the successful revolutionary women. Or in other cases the revolutionary technology that is seen as supporting certain politics. Solar Freaking Roadways anyone? Similar kind of thing only in that case is wa presenting people against it as against renewable energy stuff.

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
Nah, you can be both those things if you want to. Hypocrisy is an option.
Well, that's what makes me angry, I want to be NEITHER, but according to my own country and most of the internet, I'm all that and more.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Well, that's what makes me angry, I want to be NEITHER, but according to my own country and most of the internet, I'm all that and more.
Considering how many actual communists there are about, one would hope people would get better at recognizing the difference. I was on reddit one time, and the post was something actually progressive, and like the third top comment was along the lines of "this doesn't really matter, only a revolution of the proletariat will make any difference", and the user was like "420marxism69" (not the actual name, just that sort of thing), with hundreds of upvotes. And moments like that make me wonder how people can have such trouble identifying things.

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
And moments like that make me wonder how people can have such trouble identifying things.
Welcome to 2021. Apparently what you described and my advocating for flat rate/concierge clinics are both COMMUNIST

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
And Life is Strange: True Colors is out and already being deemed not to have done enough

There’s also no content warning despite the game’s heavy material — an omission that has inspired controversy in the past.
The game never talks about race, except for showing an Asian-style shrine that Alex puts up to commemorate Gabe’s life and putting a few rude comments on the game’s version of Facebook or Nextdoor, MyBlock. And so, its diverse casting feel inconsequential. We don’t live in a post-racial society — as nice as that would be — and by avoiding the subject almost entirely, “True Colors” draws in fans who want representation without living up to those fans’ excitement and expectations.
So the game isn't being racist enough to the characters or stereotyping them enough in what people think of about said culture?

The heart of the story — Gabe and Alex’s family backstory — is buried inside the game. In fact, it’s shown so far in that it almost doesn’t matter anymore when we finally get to it. Our sense of who Gabe is (a nearly perfect man who is gracious with the entire town) has already crystallized. That he’s also flawed, and contributed to the family breaking up, ends up feeling like a footnote.
Not making a big enough deal about the male characters flaws and blame in some events.

Helping them could veer into manipulation, as you’d be using Alex’s powers. But the game never gets into whether that’s right or wrong.
The Powers could count as manipulation now

The game also rarely talks about sexuality. Alex can be played as straight, by choosing her best friend Ryan as a love interest; Steph, another of Alex’s friends, is also a romantic option. But while Alex and Steph have one of the most compelling relationships in the game, their interactions don’t get top billing.
Being able to choose who to romance is now problematic because the Lesbian romance top billed.

As a queer, Asian American woman, I’ve encountered a lot of racism and occasional homophobia just for being who I am, as well as more subtle reactions that note my difference. Alex mostly manages to escape this; she’s met with perfect kindness from pretty much everyone.
yep characters aren't racist enough or homophobic enough to the Player character, what an objection to have in what's meant to be an escapist medium?

Reactions: Hawki