Our Covid Response

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
In another thread we were discussing the response to Covid and got pretty far away from the topic of that thread so I'm starting fresh here.

This article was pointed out: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/02/job...e-highest-risk-of-dying-from-covid-study.html

The poster found that Line Cooks lead among occupations dying from Covid by 30%.

Reviewing, I found this:
1631534983552.png
"Our findings do not conclusively demonstrate that risks are entirely workplace related. Other factors may have led to excess mortality among certain occupational sectors, including crowded housing and access to healthcare. Disentanglement of such factors is outside the scope of the present study. "

The poster appeared to be writing that the impact upon our economy of our Covid response is irrelevant. I think our economy is what causes the production and distribution of goods and services that keep us alive. If every single man, woman and child became a medical doctor to deal with Covid we would all starve and die of exposure.

Your thoughts?

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Be careful not to draw a dichotomy between what we actually did and a total shutdown of all production of goods and services.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Be careful not to draw a dichotomy between what we actually did and a total shutdown of all production of goods and services.
I write this, we have to know that economies do things. They get us food, goods, services. This shut down has diminished our supplies and access to services. How much and how much we can take is unknown at this time but I am certain it is there. I am hearing that nations already facing food supply stresses are going to be that much worse off.

Example I am reviewing, though this states the problem was worsening even before Covid:

" COVID-19 is estimated to have dramatically increased the number of people facing acute food insecurity in 2020-2021. "

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
I write this, we have to know that economies do things. They get us food, goods, services. This shut down has diminished our supplies and access to services. How much and how much we can take is unknown at this time but I am certain it is there. I am hearing that nations already facing food supply stresses are going to be that much worse off.

Example I am reviewing, though this states the problem was worsening even before Covid:

" COVID-19 is estimated to have dramatically increased the number of people facing acute food insecurity in 2020-2021. "
Be careful about making a concrete issue too abstract. Diminished which supplies? Access to which services? Why has "COVID-19" estimated to have dramatically increased the number of people facing acute food insecurity? Is it because there isn't food available or because people need money to buy it? Or is it some mixture of both? Are there other ways of fixing each problem that are consistent with reducing the spread of the virus? And so on. Right now, school districts are reopening and then quickly finding out that they're spreading coronavirus. Completely unnecessary to food security.

Reactions: MrCalavera

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Be careful about making a concrete issue too abstract. Diminished which supplies? Access to which services? Why has "COVID-19" estimated to have dramatically increased the number of people facing acute food insecurity? Is it because there isn't food available or because people need money to buy it? Or is it some mixture of both? Are there other ways of fixing each problem that are consistent with reducing the spread of the virus? And so on. Right now, school districts are reopening and then quickly finding out that they're spreading coronavirus. Completely unnecessary to food security.
I like the idea of the unearned income credit and want to try it. Give the hungry money and they can buy food. Someone still has to produce that food.
My biggest concern with school isn't really economics. It has to do with the concern that we are emotionally and socially stunting the healthy growth of children that need virtually no protection from Covid.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
For the government, statistics are important as it informs policy. But to people statistics don't matter if you are an edge case or an exception. That's why people are more risk-averse than rise-acceptant. If your child dies from covid or the flu or something else the death rate may as well be 100% for those diseases. That's not to say you don't go outside of your home or do go outside in an armored SUV, with a bulletproof vest, and etc. But it goes to show something different about conservatives. To them, politics is a new religion. Their elites are weird, aren't looking out for their best interest, or selfish, liberal elites while also being the same thing are more collectivity oriented.

I mean when Kamala Harris told me that unless Fauci told us to get the vaccine don't get it, I disagree; even if it was rushed Fauci did mislead us on masks for the collective good, but to me, the collective good doesn't matter when you're dead, that's why my parents who are the ultimate pragmatists went, and got N95 masks anyway, and I got a Redditor who complained about my family doing so on my local subreddit.

My best advice to Republicans is to ignore your elites if they tell you to do something they themselves are doing. Like going to college or getting the vaccine. If Ann Coulter tells you to not go to college, go to college because she went as well. My best advice to liberals who I maligned for reasons that they support the dictatorship-based workplace, is to ignore the liberal elites when doing so advances your interests. If Fauci tells you not to take the 3rd shot(likely due to the lower supply of it) it means you should do it unless he says it will harm you. Or atleast have your kid take it since children are your legacy.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
If every single man, woman and child became an ad exec to sell goods and services, we would all starve and die of exposure.

Are we done appealing to absolutes?
As long as your agreeing with me, and you apparently are, that how an economy functions matters. I inferred from an earlier conversation that another poster was saying it doesn't implying anyone that cared how we responded to Covid that did care about such matters doesn't care about the value of human life, which is, per your post, just silly.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
As long as your agreeing with me, and you apparently are, that how an economy functions matters. I inferred from an earlier conversation that another poster was saying it doesn't implying anyone that cared how we responded to Covid that did care about such matters doesn't care about the value of human life, which is, per your post, just silly.
Well, and hear me out, they don't have to be mutually exclusive

Bosses are having trouble filling jobs at the moment because they aren't willing to pay the hazard pay that front line workers deserve. They haven't realised the worker has done the numbers and it costs way to more money turning up to work than what they are paid.

As an employer, you could make work safer or increase pay. Until then, nobody cares about what they are selling... because they haven't shown care for others

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Well, and hear me out, they don't have to be mutually exclusive

Bosses are having trouble filling jobs at the moment because they aren't willing to pay the hazard pay that front line workers deserve. They haven't realised the worker has done the numbers and it costs way to more money turning up to work than what they are paid.

As an employer, you could make work safer or increase pay. Until then, nobody cares about what they are selling... because they haven't shown care for others
That is an economy at work.
One of the few things I think our government has done right. Possibly cause some upward pressure on wages.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. And it appears that you really, really tried.
"It doesn't matter what you meant, but what you write as it would be reasonably understood from what you have written."
Try harder.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
"It doesn't matter what you meant, but what you write as it would be reasonably understood from what you have written."
Try harder.
Okay, I'll spell it out very, very carefully for you: I was mocking your appeal to extremes. You were trying to imply that, since if we dedicated every human on Earth to curing COVID then society would fall apart, there was no point in dedicating extra effort to stopping COVID. I countered with the idea that if you dedicated every human being on Earth to anything, including something seen as necessary to a capitalistic society, that society would fall apart.

And if you think that I misread the intent of your statement, well....

Last edited:

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

Kyle is against a nationwide vaccine mandate. Are there no heroes left for the left?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
That is an economy at work.
One of the few things I think our government has done right. Possibly cause some upward pressure on wages.
I'd also be mindful of how things are going with Brexit. There will be an equilibrium on wages at some stage in the UK but the churn has been drastic so much that there isnt enough of some food getting shops and some food is being left to rot in field

Upwards pressure is good. But too much pressure just breaks stuff that might not be fixable. While I'll complain about all the stimulus in the GFC, Obama at least was mindful of this and provided a gradually reduction in the money supply (quantitative easing). Eg. In this crisis, there is a shift in needs of the econony. If you expect people to retrain then you might need to provide resources for that

Reactions: gorfias

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
He's widely known in social democrat circles.

Edit: And Breadtube
Well, he's had some good takes and some really hot ones

But then, no one personality on either side of politics has matched mine. I would find it weird if someone did