Movie, TV, Web Series, and Music Hot Take(s).

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Exactly why I did not get sucked in. I remember watching that 90 minute TV movie special once, and after viewing, I said "Nope, fuck this show. I'm out!". I remember the show did gain controversy for a good while on positively enforcing, or saying "it's okay" to torture as long as that person or people are super evil. With the show's writing and portrayal of it, I can't blame people for thinking otherwise. Everything just rubbed me the wrong way.
Yeah, Torture always works in the show, and there were even bits where they were acting like the suspects getting Lawyers couldn't be allowed because THE CLOCK IS TICKING. And of course the clock was always ticking, because nothing happens over days and weeks in the show, it's always a manner of hours and minutes, which was one of general problems with the formula(along with there had to be 24 hour long episodes). They wanted to keep the tension up but at the same time, they were also writing by the seat of their pants so shit happens way too fast often times but at the same time, one season had them finish the main plot 7 hours early, so they had to shoehorn in a plot about the Chinese because, of course they did. A sane writer would have just ended the season there but it's not called 17 so they had to fill the remaining 7 hours somehow.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Yeah, Torture always works in the show, and there were even bits where they were acting like the suspects getting Lawyers couldn't be allowed because THE CLOCK IS TICKING. And of course the clock was always ticking, because nothing happens over days and weeks in the show, it's always a manner of hours and minutes, which was one of general problems with the formula(along with there had to be 24 hour long episodes). They wanted to keep the tension up but at the same time, they were also writing by the seat of their pants so shit happens way too fast often times but at the same time, one season had them finish the main plot 7 hours early, so they had to shoehorn in a plot about the Chinese because, of course they did. A sane writer would have just ended the season there but it's not called 17 so they had to fill the remaining 7 hours somehow.
Well, they could have hung a lampshade on it: stopped the clock and let Jack Bauer go home early.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Sometimes (very rarely, but sometimes,) I wish I geeked out on television and cinema like some of you so I could cite the exact season, episode and timestamp of this, there was one episode of The Next Generation, I think an early one, wherein Spiner accidentally used a contraction in full-on character as Data, and no one caught it. I think it was a "can't" when Data should have said "can not." I only caught it because, in a later episode, his use of the word "can't" was an indicator to the rest of the crew that something was amiss with "Data."
I think he also did in the same ep where he was specified as not being able to do that (Datalore).

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I think he also did in the same ep where he was specified as not being able to do that (Datalore).
If it was Datalore, it may have been the scene that’s supposed to tip everyone off that it was Lore and not Data. Or just one of the many that slipped through the cracks in the scripting, either/or.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
That episode is the one I was referring to as "a later episode." The instance I'm talking about happened in a previous episode where Spiner was supposed to be in full, regular Data mode.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Bakugo and Sasuke Uchiha are not only the worst "friend" rival characters in shounen anime, but in all of anime history. They are nothing more than spoiled assholes who believe the world should be giving them blowjobs. Just because they're "talented and special". Fuck these assholes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
If it was Datalore, it may have been the scene that’s supposed to tip everyone off that it was Lore and not Data. Or just one of the many that slipped through the cracks in the scripting, either/or.
That episode is the one I was referring to as "a later episode." The instance I'm talking about happened in a previous episode where Spiner was supposed to be in full, regular Data mode.
From what I read it was near the end of the ep, IIRC, after Lore had been defeated, he did it by accident and nobody but obsessive fans many years later noticed. Seen it a bunch of times myself and not spotted it either (haven't rewatched it since reading about it), but nothing gets past the hardcore fans on the net.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Afro Samurai: Resurrection is not that bad. It is definitely the weakest of the two and definitely has some stupid retcons that weren't needed. Jinno's other younger sister (never once mentioned in the previous show) who's around the same age as his previous sister. And the tacked on after credit sequence. It will never be followed up on unless you read the manga, which takes place in its own universe and is not a sequel. What the sequel does provide, is a better soundtrack, art direction, a bit more color, cool character designs, and awesome action sequences. Also, I do love the performance of a lot of the side characters or antagonists.

I admit, this is a less of a hot take nowadays, if you're with inside the fandom. Outside of the fandom, it's a different story.

Last edited:

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Bakugo and Sasuke Uchiha are not only the worst "friend" rival characters in shounen anime, but in all of anime history. They are nothing more than spoiled assholes who believe the world should be giving them blowjobs. Just because they're"talented and special". Fuck these assholes.
And yet, I would much rather follow literally anyone else (including Bakugo) as the main character of MHA, rather than Deku, who is just the whiniest character to have ever been conceived.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Deku, who is just the whiniest character to have ever been conceived.
No. That goes to Bakugo who acts like a constant entitled biatch for nearly 4 seasons. I've seen worse, but not by much compared to Bakugo. To keep the list towards just anime's whiniest characters, we have:
  • Asuka Langley Sohryu
  • Shinji Ikari
  • Lyserg D.
  • Those 3 brats from Eureka 7.
  • Kagome Higurashi and Kikyo.
  • Boruto
Second, characters similar to Bakugo have already been done better. What's more, this character is the main character from anime over 20 years ago. Yu Yu Hakusho. Yusuke "Motherfukin'!" Urameshi! Hell, 3/4 of the boys are all better versions of Bakugo or Vegeta. Yusuke and Kuwabara are nicer and better versions of Bakugo. Though if you wanna be technical, Yusuke was a bigger jerk than Bakugo at the beginning, but he did not always act like an entitled brat. Nor felt the world constantly owed everything to him. Hiei has always been the better Vegeta. Another jerk character that's done right is Ren Tao from Shaman King, and Zuko from ATLA. Either are better people and more sympathetic than the egotistical dick-wad known as Biatch Bakugo.

Also, most teens around his age or older can either kick the shit out of Bakugo at their weakest. Or, are on more than even footing with the douche.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Also the best House of the Dead movie ever too. For me personally, the best Resident Evil movie is Dog Soldiers.
Yeah, how the fuck does that work? How does a relatively low budget werewolf movie end up being a better RE movie then any of the movies with the actual name attached?

And I agree, Dog Soldiers is awesome.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah, how the fuck does that work? How does a relatively low budget werewolf movie end up being a better RE movie then any of the movies with the actual name attached?
Easy difference: Neil Marshall fully cared about his project. WS Anderson barely cared at all during that time. Later on, it went from barely cared to check out my God Mode Sue Hot Wife!

Also, Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil 1 (the og game), and Dog Soldiers all had low budgets. RE and DS were just using the Night of the Living Dead template, but X instead of Y and W. And Romero himself was just taking from I Am Legend and its first film adaption, The Last Man. Oh, and EC Horror comics.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
@Dalisclock, for extra irony, Paul WS Anderson actually made the best Twisted Metal movie ever made call Death Race (2008). This is one of the few times where he was actually trying.

Reactions: Dalisclock

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
No. That goes to Bakugo who acts like a constant entitled ***** for nearly 4 seasons. I've seen worse, but not by much comapred to Bakugo. To keep the list towards just anime's whiniest characters, we have:
  • Asuka Langley Sohryu
  • Shinji Ikari
  • Lyserg D.
  • Those 3 brats from Eureka 7.
  • Kagome Higurashi and Kikyo.
  • Boruto
Second, characters similar to Bakugo have already been done better. What's more, this character is the main character from anime over 20 years ago. Yu Yu Hakusho. Yusuke "Motherfukin'!" Urameshi! Hell, 3/4 of the boys are all better versions of Bakugo or Vegeta. Yusuke and Kuwabara are nicer and better versions of Bakugo. Though if you wanna be technical, Yusuke was a bigger jerk than Bakugo at the beginning, but he did not always act like an entitled brat. Nor felt the world constantly owed everything to him. Hiei has always been the better Vegeta. Another jerk character that's done right is Ren Tao from Shaman King, and Zuko from ATLA. Either are better people and more sympathetic than the egotistical dick-wad known as Biatch Bakugo.

Also, most teens around his age or older can either kick the shit out of Bakugo at their weakest. Or, are on more than even footing with the douche.
You know, I can't get myself to be annoyed at characters like these. I mean, they're children thrust into fantastically stressful life or death situations.

Maybe I'm just aged out of Shonen, I dunno

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You know, I can't get myself to be annoyed at characters like these. I mean, they're children thrust into fantastically stressful life or death situations.
Maybe I'm just aged out of Shonen, I dunno
That depends on who you're talking about. Eva ain't shounen, but I will cut Shinji some leeway. Asuka can still fuck off. Bakugo made a choice. No one forced him. Even he would tell you that. The fucker wants the responsibility, then he should fucking act like it.

Kagome made a choice, though apparently it's "destiny" and all that bullshit. Kikyo definitely made a choice. Lyserg made a choice, though you can't partially blame him, because his parents were killed and wants revenge. How he went about it; more so in the anime version was beyond unnecessary. The 3 brats had no one else to go (parents being dead and all), but with Eureka and board the Gekko state. The crew are full of shitty people we're supposed to like, and brats are so annoying and selfish that not even 4-10+ me would not give them the time of the day. Eureka 7 is seinen by the way. Boruto is just a selfish son to his father, Naruto. End of story.

I rarely ever touch shounen for a reason. At this point, a majority of the stories are just worst versions of DBZ, One Piece, Yu Yu Hakusho, JoJo, and now Naruto. Or all of the above.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK