Gena Davis institute on Gender in media tries to link violent games to mass shootings and police violence

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
No I said we shall wait and see. It is [current year] so who knows.
Ha! So now you don't know if they're promoting censorship and you still have no other examples but you still believe it's expanding.
Still likely sold pretty well.
BMX XXX still likely managed to sell well.
Literally torpedoed the franchise
Sure Raze's Hell scored better but no-one is talking about that game and has really talked about it until I brought it up here but BMX XXX still sees people bring it up. Come on did you even know about Raze's Hell before I mentioned it?
Yes, your defense of "well, you've heard of this terrible BMX game who's celebrity endorsement sued to get his name taken off of, so there" is very interesting.
BMX XXX wasn't AAA, it might have been planned to be a AAA BMX game before going off the rails but what came out was far from AAA
If we're describing AAA on quality, then AAA games such as Hades are unapologetically horny as fuck and everybody loves them.
no because that's not a kind of sexy that's regularly deemed problematic and in need of being changed.
Exactly: sexualization is only a problem when over applied in very specific and limiting ways. Glad to have you on board
Actually yes they are. It comes from the history of cinema and the Swords and Sandals era of films which saw most of their audience as women. What you think the ancient Hollywood executives who grew up on that stuff aren't remembering back to it and trying to repeat it?
The primarily male stable of Hollywood executives are legendarily bad at their jobs. I have no qualms acknowledging that they're failing miserably to understand their female audiences. Sure, a mythical body might be appropriate for some heroes, but nobody's lusting over Cut Mark Ruffalo (Cut Mar Ruffalo does not exist, thank god) Variety. You need variety

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Ha! So now you don't know if they're promoting censorship and you still have no other examples but you still believe it's expanding.
I answered if I thought the game was censored. not if I thought they were pro censorship

Literally torpedoed the franchise
yeh but short term profit is what matters and turning what would have been bad Dave Mirra game into less of a failure and possibly even a financial success was likely worth it.

Yes, your defense of "well, you've heard of this terrible BMX game who's celebrity endorsement sued to get his name taken off of, so there" is very interesting.
If we're describing AAA on quality, then AAA games such as Hades are unapologetically horny as fuck and everybody loves them.
I don't ever remember Dave Mirra games being pushed as AAA they were always like the little brother to Tony Hawk games. Maybe AA at best

Exactly: sexualization is only a problem when over applied in very specific and limiting ways. Glad to have you on board
Which is where the hypocrisy lies being the entire reason other characters being sexy but outside of the norm is deemed fine is because they're seen as contrarian or fighting "The system" lol. That's the only difference. It's all about which people get to jack to jerk off to them. One lot deemed bad one lot deemed good because "The system"

The primarily male stable of Hollywood executives are legendarily bad at their jobs. I have no qualms acknowledging that they're failing miserably to understand their female audiences. Sure, a mythical body might be appropriate for some heroes, but nobody's lusting over Cut Mark Ruffalo (Cut Mar Ruffalo does not exist, thank god) Variety. You need variety
Trust me if they figured it was worth it Cut Mark Ruffalo would be getting money to be Cut Mark Ruffalo lol. As is they already have Chris Hemsworth for that role.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Also are we really objecting to sexy women who are strong and powerful in their own right?

What...the fuck...was that?

Lady D is 100% a massive lesbian and this is canon.
Um, source? Because there's no mention of it on her wiki page.

Queer coding is about making a character appealing to a gay audience. Oh my god, I wonder if this massive, tall, really femme, totally domme perfect queen who hangs out in a castle with a bunch of literal hags menacing heterosexual families and who is also a literal monster might have some gay appeal somewhere. I wonder.

Um, you DO realize that that I could replace Lady D with Dracula in this scenario and barely have to change a word of that sentence, right?

Undoubtedly there's that kind of scenario in vampiric fiction (see the Styrian council in Castlevania for instance), but that really seems like stretching, especially since Lady D's operating on Mother Miranda's behalf, and resents at least some of the other lords.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
What...the fuck...was that?
Cleopatra 2525 was a cheap, booby sci-fi series that developed with about the same budget and talent as the Mortal Combat live action TV show. It aired with Bruce Campbell's Jack of All Trades and lasted 2 seasons
I answered if I thought the game was censored. not if I thought they were pro censorship
So, answer the latter then. Or answer anything at all, really.
yeh but short term profit is what matters and turning what would have been bad Dave Mirra game into less of a failure and possibly even a financial success was likely worth it.

I don't ever remember Dave Mirra games being pushed as AAA they were always like the little brother to Tony Hawk games. Maybe AA at best
Except it torpedoed the franchise and buried it in bad press. If it were a financial success, they'd've made a second one. They ported it two 4 different systems, including a full rebuild for the Gameboy.
Which is where the hypocrisy lies being the entire reason other characters being sexy but outside of the norm is deemed fine is because they're seen as contrarian or fighting "The system" lol. That's the only difference. It's all about which people get to jack to jerk off to them. One lot deemed bad one lot deemed good because "The system"
"It's hypocritical that people don't have a problem with overtly sexy female characters when there's a wide variety of sexy and not-sexy female characters, and advocating for any variety that falls outside my preference is censorship"

Trust me if they figured it was worth it Cut Mark Ruffalo would be getting money to be Cut Mark Ruffalo lol. As is they already have Chris Hemsworth for that role.
And damn near every superhero that isn't explicitly a CGI monster. Which is the argument: Mark Ruffalo's big claim to fame was a romance movie. Paul Rudd was plenty sexy before getting jacked for Ant-Man. Hell, "dad-bods" are in. Trying to sexualize men by making them all shredded is as stupid as sexualizing all you female characters by making them bikini models. As harmful too, as anybody without a personal trainer and plenty of leisure time is risking eating disorders and physical injury trying to maintain that kind of body

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Cleopatra 2525 was a cheap, booby sci-fi series that developed with about the same budget and talent as the Mortal Combat live action TV show. It aired with Bruce Campbell's Jack of All Trades and lasted 2 seasons
Not a fan of it I take it?

So, answer the latter then. Or answer anything at all, really.
I have you didn't like the answer.

Except it torpedoed the franchise and buried it in bad press. If it were a financial success, they'd've made a second one. They ported it two 4 different systems, including a full rebuild for the Gameboy.
Why when they could focus on other franchises which were more established. In the AAA space there's a success then there's a huge success.

"It's hypocritical that people don't have a problem with overtly sexy female characters when there's a wide variety of sexy and not-sexy female characters, and advocating for any variety that falls outside my preference is censorship"
Funny how again and again it's just one kind of sexy getting slammed even as more kinds are shown.

And damn near every superhero that isn't explicitly a CGI monster. Which is the argument: Mark Ruffalo's big claim to fame was a romance movie. Paul Rudd was plenty sexy before getting jacked for Ant-Man. Hell, "dad-bods" are in. Trying to sexualize men by making them all shredded is as stupid as sexualizing all you female characters by making them bikini models. As harmful too, as anybody without a personal trainer and plenty of leisure time is risking eating disorders and physical injury trying to maintain that kind of body
And yet it is still somewhat and was very much in the past just that. The image of being sexy.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Not a fan of it I take it?
It's fine, just don't make it more than it was
I have you didn't like the answer.
Could you find a second, less ambiguous example of this supposed escalation of calls for censoring Bayonetta 3?
Why when they could focus on other franchises which were more established. In the AAA space there's a success then there's a huge success.
Do you have any actual knowledge or evidence showing BMX XXX actually sold well or do you have to believe it did for your argument to make sense?
Funny how again and again it's just one kind of sexy getting slammed even as more kinds are shown.
Oh no, we've got plenty of criticism to go around. There the whole damseling thing, women in refrigerators, wholly inappropriate adventuring clothes not shred between genders, oodles and oodles of sexy anime children, etc, etc, etc.
And, much to the consternation of a certain batch of weird nerds, it's been getting better. Like Satinavian said:
And yet it is still somewhat and was very much in the past just that. The image of being sexy.
And gave Marlon Brando bulimia, yeah

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Um, pro tip: BMX XXX is probably the worst example anyone could've gone for if they wanted to prove smut leads to higher sales 😬 Does anyone remember Acclaim? And them filing for bankruptcy before disappearing forever?
I remember those assholes and I'm glad they don't exist most of the games they published were either not good, mediocre, or just plain bad. Acclaim is a company I do not miss. What's even more ironic is that the PS2 version of that game is censored, yet the GameCube and Xbox versions are uncensored. The censorship you can blame on all Sony's part.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I do but you get rather tetchy when I point our words mean things, then refuse to clarify how those things aren't your position despite being often the baggage that is connected to said positions you choose to take.
Why should I waste time "clarifying how things aren't my position" if I didn't express them in the first place?

Man we have lived very different lives in kinda very different worlds it seems lol.
Christ, we must have done, if you routinely see one in every two women in the street wearing bikinis, leather miniskirts and chockers, etc.

Most women I see are just wearing relatively normal clothes.

It's literally Speedos and a bow tie......... How much more revealing is needed? Also they're produced based on what sells and what there can be done to be deemed sexy beyond what they already do normally lol. I dunno maybe it says about how little people realise male characters are sexualised as they walk round shirtless showing off 8 packs as people argue they're not sexualised.
8-packs... ahh yes, because the "massively OTT muscled" physique is really there to appeal to the female gaze.

1633092680280.png

Yes which tells you how fundamental they are to psychology.
If you're genuinely arguing that cultural depictions are unimportant to psychology, then you obviously don't know what you're talking about. At all.

I note you didn't bother addressing any of the rest of the argument so was I right on the money?
The "rest of the argument" was just you making shit up that I never said, and then accusing me of believing it. So, just the regular drivel, worth ignoring.

Same for the "upset by breasts" garbage. From now on, I'm just gonna skip right over the strawmen and stop addressing them, 'cos it's a waste of time.

Reactions: BrawlMan

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
8-packs... ahh yes, because the "massively OTT muscled" physique is really there to appeal to the female gaze.

View attachment 4596
There is some of both either way. There are muscular men as male power fantasies. There are also sexually empowered women. Empowered. It's also a power fantasy. Attractive female characters appeal to women as well.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Fictional characters are fictional. They don't have real personalities or real agency. Everything they are is imposed on them by the people who created them. If those characters are sexy, it's because their creators sexualized them. Sexualization isn't inherently positive or negative, all it means is the ascription of sexual characteristics to things that are not inherently sexual, like fictional characters. The actual problem with sexualization is that it doesn't stop with fictional characters, people also do it to real life people (especially but not exclusively women) who do have their own sexuality and their own agency, because a lot of people can't distinguish between the way they treat fictional characters and the way they treat real people.

YES

Again, I have to point this out. Queer coding is not just about signifying that a character is gay, although Lady D is 100% a massive lesbian and this is canon. Queer coding is about making a character appealing to a gay audience. Oh my god, I wonder if this massive, tall, really femme, totally domme perfect queen who hangs out in a castle with a bunch of literal hags menacing heterosexual families and who is also a literal monster might have some gay appeal somewhere. I wonder.

"Guys, I saw this great film. There are these two guys, and get this right.. one of them just starts fucking the other right in the ass. And there's this chick there eating a salad and she says 'not in front of my salad' and I'm telling you dude, it was fucking funny as fuck. Like, watching those dudes just pound each others asses was a bit weird, but I don't think there's anything gay about it bro. It's just two dudes fucking. That's not gay bro. Not gay at all. Like, they were probably doing it because they were absolute madlads and thought it would be funny for the chick and anyone watching. Totally not gay at all bro. I mean, I think the actors might have been gay but that doesn't mean the characters were gay, right bro? They're totally not gay bro. It's not gay. Please bro, you gotta believe how not gay it was.."

No, it was the former.

I don't really know what to tell you, other than to watch the film again. Even then, I don't know if you're going to get it, but it's not like your opinion really matters.

One of the characters is literally named "Needy Lesnicki." There are long shots of the two main characters staring at each other or holding hands. They are completely obsessed with each other to the point it dominates their lives. When they do kiss, it's filmed in extreme close up of their lips to indicate intensity and intimacy rather than zooming out for spectacle. Needy, who is normally the sexually repressed one, literally climbs on top of Jennifer in order to kiss her. Jennifer's dialogue in that scene indicates that they've fooled around before. Jennifer specifically seduces and kills boys who Needy is attracted to, ostensibly as a kind of rivalry but also very obviously to control Needy's sexuality. In the end (spoilers by the way) Jennifer literally lets Needy kill her by stabbing her in the heart. These characters are in love, they have a toxic, volatile, intense relationship with each other which they themselves don't understand, but which is incredibly obvious to anyone in the audience who spent a minute thinking about it (or doesn't try to pretend that two women passionately kissing is 100% hetero).

And if you're bisexual, you may well have been one of these characters, or both of these characters. You're a normal straight (you think) teenager living your normal straight life and you're as happy with it as any teenager is, but you have that one friend you're way too close to, and you don't understand what's happening to you or why you feel the way you do, so it turns weird and intense and toxic and inevitably breaks down. I think that's part of how a lot of us figure out that we're bisexual, and I can't think of any other film off the top of my head that tries to capture that weird, fucked up part of a bi person's life.

Maybe not (I can't be bothered to check), but she works for a right wing thing tank whose explicit purpose is to publish misleading bullshit.
Um, those "hags" are her daughters. And nowhere is it stated she is gay.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
There is some of both either way. There are muscular men as male power fantasies. There are also sexually empowered women. Empowered. It's also a power fantasy. Attractive female characters appeal to women as well.
Some, sure, though pantry-flashing high school girls and assassins that breath through their skin are not generally cited as examples of that

Reactions: BrawlMan and Kwak

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I remember those assholes and I'm glad they don't exist most of the games they published were either not good, mediocre, or just plain bad. Acclaim is a company I do not miss. What's even more ironic is that the PS2 version of that game is censored, yet the GameCube and Xbox versions are uncensored. The censorship you can blame on all Sony's part.
Heck, they had a gameboy version that was entirely censored and renamed, putting Dave Mirra's name back on it. It has the best rating of the 4

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Heck, they had a gameboy version that was entirely censored and renamed, putting Dave Mirra's name back on it. It has the best rating of the 4
I honestly don't remember that, but it does not surprise me. I just know by 2003 (?), I got sick and tired of almost any extreme sports license title.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
If no character is seen as having agency based on their personality then thanks to death of the author the judgement falls to the audience and as everyone's opinion is subjective then there is no universal true answer thus peoples objections are based on their subjective views.
Yes.

Is this news to you? Did you seriously think there was such a thing as an "objective" opinion in media analysis. Good thing we disabused you of that notion.

To any sane person, subjectivity is implied. It does not even need to be stated.

Thus the whole argument is pointless to have as people who hate sexy character will carry on hating them and people who are fine with them will keep being fine with them and unless people want to make this into a war for domination then people are going to have to learn to live with sexy characters and especially with them not getting changed.
Except, once again, this is not actually a discussion about the inherent worth or otherwise of "sexy characters". That discussion is fundamentally unworthy of adults. It's a discussion over representation, which is different because representations, as the name suggests, represent real things. They contain meaning and information that concerns real things. The way you think about "sexy characters" will be indicative of the way you think about sexiness both inside and outside of media. You'

yeh......... I'm still going with this sounds like fanfiction stuff. Lady D isn't the Rocky Horror Picture Show
Um, source? Because there's no mention of it on her wiki page.
Um, those "hags" are her daughters. And nowhere is it stated she is gay.
It's a joke.

However, look at this fucking character and tell me that's a heterosexual with a straight face.

Um, you DO realize that that I could replace Lady D with Dracula in this scenario and barely have to change a word of that sentence, right?
Yes. I actually do realise that.

Like, you do know Dracula is incredibly homoerotic right? Like, countless books have been written on the weird amount of queer subtext and coding in Dracula, on Bram Stoker's weird relationship to (and anxieties about) sexuality which he channelled into his work, and how this carries over into subsequent depictions of vampires in media.

Give it a few years and that'll probably be said by a girl in a film unironically lol. Hell some female fans push for that now.
I don't think they do.

Sure, straight women sometimes ship same-sex male characters, but that is actually very different from performative lesbianism, in that the former is typically about relationship dynamics between men, while the latter is about visual spectacle. There is no normative assumption in that kind of same-sex shipping that the male couples are not actually attracted to each other independently of the male gaze, or are more interested in gaining the approval of women, whereas that is an implicit assumption of performative lesbianism. If you wanted to criticise the way straight shipping culture handles same-sex male couples, it would be more similar to the way someone would criticise "lesbian porn", in that both are representations of same-sex intimacy that end up reflecting the attitudes and priorties of their heterosexual audience, and thus misrepresenting what same-sex intimacy is actually like in reality.

I didn't say the characters were 100% hetro.
Good, because that would be a terrible argument.

There is absolutely nothing subtle about the way those characters are framed as bisexual.

As far as if my view matters or not? Well not to you that's fairly clear but based on what you said about the way the film was marketed I guess my views mattered or was shared by a Hollywood executive or something marketing the film.
You misunderstand.

The reason your views don't matter is because you clearly missed very obvious things about that film. I think most straight adults today would have absolutely no problem picking up on the very unsubtle bisexuality of these characters. I realise that there's a certain bizarre unwillingness to acknowledge that female characters being obviously attracted to each other, kissing or having sex with each other in a film might imply something non-heterosexual about their sexuality (cough, Black Swan) but I also want to give credit and say that I think straight people today are generally far more media-aware when it comes to queerness compared to a decade ago. The problem is, this film wasn't marketed to straight adults today, it was marketed to straight male teenagers in 2009.

And if your mentality hasn't moved on from that of a straight teenager in 2009, I do think your opinion doesn't matter, because I think there is a fairly clear-cut right and a wrong audience for certain films, and this film wasn't made for straight boys from 2009.

Heck, when Karen Kusama (the director) and Diablo Cody (the writer) wrote to the film's publicity team to complain about an advert for the film they felt was misleading, they apparently received a single like reply that read: "Jennifer sexy, she steal your boyfriend". If that's the executive you want to compare your views to, go right ahead, because that certainly sounds like someone who understood what they were doing. That sounds like someone whose opinions we should take very seriously indeed.