Your video game hot take(s) thread

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
From my own experience, even with a pc beefy enough that I don't necessarily have to choose between 60fps and raytracing, I agree. I still choose to leave it off. Sure, it's nice to look at when you're just standing around, but when you're actually playing you stop noticing.
DLSS is way more impressive, in that it enhances visuals and boosts performance. It even yields cooler GPU temps for quite a few depending on the game.

Reactions: Chimpzy

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Halfway with ya there. I can understand a brute character like Max being denied a dash, but no reason that Blaze or Axel should be denied it IMO.
Like I said before, I get it and agree to an extent, but I am not gonna have heart attack over it unlike some people on GameFAQs message board. Whenever 5 does happen, universal running/dash should be given to all characters.

Agreed, but my only real gripe with Fight N Rage was the aesthetic of it. I rather liked it's game mechanics, and it really felt like a lot of it's hits had weight to them (many bmups fuck this part up, it was a big sin of Mother Russia Bleeds)
The aesthetics I love; the problem for me was the overall pacing, certain bosses, and a couple of bad checkpoints. The game drags on the latter half and late end game. Fuck those suped up doberman trio on the last section before the final boss! I hate them! I hate them! I HATE THEM!

Last edited:

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
Like I said before, I get it and agree to an extent, but I am not gonna have heart attack over it unlike some people on GameFAQs message board. Whenever a 5 does happen, universal running/dash should be given to all characters.

The aesthetics I love; the problem for me was the overall pacing, certain bosses, and a couple of bad checkpoints. The game drags on the latter half and late end game. Fuck those suped up doberman trio on the last section before the final boss! I hate them! I hate them! I HATE THEM!
I feel ya. Even using the Bull character, which normally I'm a walking wood chipper with, I only barely got through a couple of times.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
DLSS is way more impressive, in that it enhances visuals and boosts performance. It even yields cooler GPU temps for quite a few depending on the game.
I agree. It's basically free performance with at worst a minor loss in visual quality, tho in some games having it on actually gets you a crisper image than native res. Feels like straight up magic at times, and it's imo the best reason to buy a Nvidia card (assuming you can, of course).

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
On the topic of Assassins Creed I think their depiction of the American Revolution is very flawed but also somewhat admirable.

The specter of compromise hangs over the Patriots. Its clear that they were always going to be the good guys, and the faction that the protagonist joins, because this is what the American audience demands. An Assassin's Creed game where the main character is hostile to the Patriots and supportive of the British was never going to happen. And you can really tell that Connor has no real reason to oppose the British other than that the American audience demanded that he would. In fact Connor has all the reason in the world not to embrace the Revolution.

But on the other hand you can see that the writing team is really trying to depict a less glorified and even more malicious interpretation of the Patriots. Washington is not depicted as very competent, and far less morally pure than he pretends himself to be, and the game makes no secret that its the Patriots and not the British who are the true danger to the Natives. And ultimately the Patriots exist as a Templar plot rather than being a creation of the Assassins. Haythen even correctly points out to Connor that the founding fathers are not folk heroes but elitists out for their own gain who merely have a good PR department.

But this more murky depiction of the Patriots is snuffed out by the compromises required to keep Connor on the American side. Yes, the Patriots are a Templar invention but their influence only extend to the bad aspects of the Revolution(embodied by Lee) which are directly opposed by the good aspects of the Patriots, with Connor ultimately removing the bad Templar elements so the ''good'' Washington faction of the Revolution wins out over that of the Templar's. Yes, Washington is not as pure as he presents himself but he tries to be good and ultimately he and Connor make peace. Yes, the Patriots are out to get Connor's people but those that he directly involves himself with seem genuine in their actions rather than trying to manipulate Connor. Flawed and hypocritical as the founding fathers are they are still depicted as ultimately being good men who try their best and who's bad aspects are not as prominent as their good aspects.

That (presumably) corporate interests mandated a pro American take on the Revolution is regrettable but even with this the writing team took a lot more risk with the Founding Fathers than most other writers would have done.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
If your puzzle has to be Googled and is needed to progress a non-puzzle game you have failed as a Dev. Cough God of War Ax Puzzles.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
If your puzzle has to be Googled and is needed to progress a non-puzzle game you have failed as a Dev. Cough God of War Ax Puzzles.
I literally don't remember a single puzzle in the new god of war that was difficult. Which ones did you have a problem with?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I literally don't remember a single puzzle in the new god of war that was difficult. Which ones did you have a problem with?
The only one that got me personally was the moon, Midgard, sun puzzle. But that's mostly because you have to do it in like 2 min or die. It's less that it's hard and more you're under time pressure

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Same here, I have no idea what Gergar12 is talking about. All of the other puzzles I did not YouTube aside from that trap puzzle.

WB Games/Netherealm Studios, will it kills ya to do some other games other than MK or Injustice? There are bunch of other Midway properties that can use a reboot or completely new installment. They did reboot of Gauntlet back in 2014 for PC, and later PS4 in 2015. Nothing else and that's it. A lot of these old IPs are begging for refreshing, new but familiar, take on their gameplay. They can be small budget games.

Reactions: Dalisclock

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Same here, I have no idea what Gergar12 is talking about. All of the other puzzles I did not YouTube aside from that trap puzzle.

WB Games/Netherealm Studios, will it kills ya to do some other games other than MK or Injustice? There are bunch of other Midway properties that can use a reboot or completely new installment. They did reboot of Gauntlet back in 2014 for PC, and later PS4 in 2015. Nothing else and that's it. A lot of these old IPs are begging for refreshing, new but familiar, take on their gameplay. They can be small budget games.
Before WB was thinking of offloading NRS they apparently had a new IP in the works. Then a few months ago a story broke about it being most likely they would prioritize MK once again, due to the uncertainty surrounding possibilities of a change in ownership.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The term for Character Action is stupid. I don't know who started the terminology like that for Devil May Cry style games, but it's generic and does not make any sense. Almost any type of game has a character doing an action. I do know that more people started using it after the Former Two Best Friends used the term in many videos that involved or discussed DMC style games.

Just call these genre of games Stylish Action. That's what they were called back then, when more variety came out of the wood work back in the early 2000s. Even then, you still had people use the term DMC clone back in the day. Hell, Spectacle Fighter sounds more dignified by comparison. At least it makes a certain amount of sense. If not any of those, call them beat'em ups, hack n' slash, or brawlers. All of these genre have crossbred multiple times back in the 2D era, 3D era, and now.

Last edited:

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
The term for Character Action is stupid. I don't know who started the terminology like that for Devil May Cry style games, but it's generic and does not make any sense. Almost any type of game has a character doing an action. I do know that more people started using it after the Former Two Best Friends used the term in many videos that involved or discussed DMC style games.

Just call these genre of games Stylish Action. That's what they were called back then, when more variety came out of the wood work back in the early 2000s. Even then, you still had people use the term DMC clone back in the day. Hell, Spectacle Fighter sounds more dignified by comparison. At least it makes a certain amount of sense. If not any of those two more fitting terms; call them beat'em ups, hack n' slash, or brawlers. All of these genre have crossbred multiple times back in the 2D era, 3D era, and now.
You can say that about most of the game genres.

The term "action adventure" might as well be meaningless.

And why is the "adventure game" genre about solving puzzles? Almost every video game is about being on an adventure, but "adventure games" are the ones where you rub random items together until they make a new item that allows you to solve the puzzle to get to the next room.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
You can say that about most of the game genres.

The term "action adventure" might as well be meaningless.

And why is the "adventure game" genre about solving puzzles? Almost every video game is about being on an adventure, but "adventure games" are the ones where you rub random items together until they make a new item that allows you to solve the puzzle to get to the next room.
I was gonna bring up the same point. I think to tell them apart from Puzzle games by having more plot and characters. I remember growing up when they were called "Graphic Adventures", a term which is meaningless now but in the late 1980's/early 1990's it meant the game had GRAPHICS and not just TEXT.

I'm old, okay. Old enough to remember when FMV adventure games were the New Big thing. And that phase couldn't die fast enough.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
"This newfangled CD can hold 635MB of data, and we're sure as heck not going to fill it with quality voice acting or puzzles!"
I'm pretty sure that's the exact reason why we got so many FMV games at the time. Hell, I remember some CD-ROM games having like 6 CDs that you had to swap out as you progressed.

And I totally don't miss that either. I'm really not trying to turn this into the anti-nostalgia thread but I remembered a lot of stuff kinda sucked back in the day.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm old, okay. Old enough to remember when FMV adventure games were the New Big thing. And that phase couldn't die fast enough.
I vaguely remembered FMV/FMV Adventure, but my big bro and I mostly ignored them. We mainly grew up on consoles and only did PC sparingly.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I vaguely remembered FMV/FMV Adventure, but my big bro and I mostly ignored them. We mainly grew up on consoles and only did PC sparingly.
Yeah, that's one thing consoles had on PCs was not so much falling into that trap(though you had games like Night Trap and such on consoles).

As someone who was 100% PC gamer at the time, that was a period where PC games were starting to get seriously high on their own farts and the adventure game genre started to spiral to its near death state it would stay in until Telltale brought it back. You know, before Telltale committed slow suicide by becoming an IP adaptation house.

Okay, there's my Hot takes:

Telltale helped saved adventure games and then when the Walking Dead hit it big they became Victims of their own success and spent all their time chasing IPs instead of making good games. Also, serious fucking crunch due to the episodic structure. When the studio died it was a bordering on a mercy kill.

Also, a lot of old video game stuff was just bad and best forgotten. Changing CDs because the games got too big, stuffing games full of crappy FMVs at the expense of gameplay, and of course, shitty licensed games that impressed no one. (Also, Bebe's kids became a video game at some point? I barely remember the film from when I was a kid but apparently it was a stinker of a licensed game, even by the standard of licensed games).

Last edited:

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I'm pretty sure that's the exact reason why we got so many FMV games at the time. Hell, I remember some CD-ROM games having like 6 CDs that you had to swap out as you progressed.

And I totally don't miss that either. I'm really not trying to turn this into the anti-nostalgia thread but I remembered a lot of stuff kinda sucked back in the day.
Speaking of changing CDs, does anyone remember how Rage came out on 2 disks for the Xbox 360 and you had to switch between them? Yeah, that game was 100% not worth the inconvenience.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Speaking of changing CDs, does anyone remember how Rage came out on 2 disks for the Xbox 360 and you had to switch between them? Yeah, that game was 100% not worth the inconvenience.
FF13 has like 5 or 6 discs on 360. We could barely get past disc 1, and traded the game once we got to disc 2.

Wolfenstein: The New Order 360 version has 5 discs, but I waited until I got a PS4 to play it. So I have no idea how often you have to switch the discs. The Evil Within has 5 disc on 360 too, and is the worst version on console without any patches. Right next to the PC version with no patches and mods. That game was not optimized for then next-gen hardware. Even with all of the updates on PC and 8th gen consoles. I played the PS4 version 2 years after the game came out, and mine crashed about 2 different times with all of the patches. At least you can get rid of the shitty letter-boxing.

Last edited:

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
FF13 has like 5 or 6 discs on 360. We could barely get past disc 1, and traded the game once we got to disc 2.

Wolfenstein: The New Order 360 version has 5 discs, but I waited until I got a PS4 to play it. So I have no idea how often you have to switch the discs. The Evil Within has 5 disc on 360 too, and is the worst version on console without any patches. Right next to the PC version with no patches and mods. That game was not optimized for then next-gen hardware. Even with all of the updates on PC and 8th gen consoles. I played the PS4 version 2 years after the game came out, and mind crashed about 2 different times with all of the patches. At least you can get rid of the shitty letter-boxing.
But did you have to constantly switch discs with those? There's some games that had multiple disks, but there was 1 "play disk" and the other disks you just loaded onto your HDD once. So the installation process was a pain in the ass, but then you could still play from one disk.

Rage made you switch disks every time you went to certain areas (and since the game is open world, you move between different areas a lot).