There's something distinctly wrong with Far Cry 6

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Spoilers I guess, but who really cares?

I finished Far Cry 6 last night. In so far as I completed the main storyline and poked at every nick and cranny I could do until I felt I'd experienced everything the game had to offer, hoping to find a reason to convince myself I still like far Cry. It's funny to think I probably put 20-40 hours, maybe more into it and I'm still left severely disappointed. People often say they base a games value by cost versus content size so if I paid $30 for this and I got 50 hours out of it I should feel more satisfied than say an indie game I spent $15 dollars on and only played for 5-10 hours. I don't think in those terms. Either a game left me with a warm fuzzy feeling or it didn't regardless of hour much I spent. I've felt more burned by a $5 game than a $60 game many times. I don't feel "good" about my experience with far Cry 6. I feel pretty burned out about it and I'm trying to consolidate my thoughts on why that is.

It immediately occurred to me within a few hours of the story that this was the least interesting story I've yet to play in a Far Cry game. I kept expecting some big twists and turns. Id be more fascinated and maybe horrified by the antagonists and feel more empathetic towards the rebels. Nope. The dictator while voiced magnificently is largely a one note villain. He's uncaring and uncomplicated. A generic Francisco Franco type, not even a craven Mao or a Mussolini (if you can find it I recommend watching the short film "Human Remains 1998", it will f'your world up about dictators). The auxiliary villains are equally tired and one note. Corporate pollution guy, Desperate dictators wife, Dictators Cousin, oh and some general or two or an evil doctor. Christ I've already forgotten anything about them. They were barely on screen. That was something I felt like was really evident. I spent most of the game fighting nobody's and barely recall the brief scenes with the main villains outside Carlo.

There's no feeling of gradual progression in the game or that it's going somewhere, I was just told to do things. Often I'd end a main mission only to find myself thinking "Ok what now?" because none of it ever really felt like it was coming together. You'd just be prodded to help one generic faction or another and patiently wait for the game to tell you you're getting somewhere. Juxtapose this with Maybe Far Cry 3 which had a very linear plot of Escape and Far Cry 5 which had compelling weirdo villains that you felt driven to explore and understand what's actually happening. I kept hoping as hinted in the trailers that the Father & Son dictatorship would go in some interesting direction, but it never really does.

The protagonist and compatriots are also a problem in that they are again generic and one note, inoffensive. There's no complexity - teenager factions, age guys faction, farmer faction. I didn't especially care for any of them. They go out of their way to show off a transvestite and tell you one character is trans. This could have been interesting as cultural politics in the Central and South Americas is very complicated, I think its still illegal to even be gay in some countries, but while the transvestite is mildly funny, the trans person is just a diversity inclusion. I didn't dislike them, but it was a male character they rewrote as trans so they could say they had a trans person. Your character mostly just gives generic answers to everything "That's weird, what a weirdo, ok" I'd prefer she/he just not talk. I can't help but feel like once they had a story written up they did the characters as a by the numbers after thought. Someone chained to a desk wrote the dialog for this and it shows.

So that really only leaves the gameplay to defend this game. This where the game really starts to fall apart and a substantial reason for concern about the life of Far Cry going forward. The easy bake oven basic element of Far Cry is still there since Far Cry 2. Explore, Solve Puzzles, Capture Bases, progress map space. The latter appears to be missing. This doesn't as far as I could tell provide any purpose or meaning to the game beyond providing spawn points. I might be losing my mind here, but I specifically recall this activity being a primary driver in progressing the previous games. Like you actually needed to do this to open up the games story, but I only know at some point a mission opened up that said I could go killed Castillo. It could have been there the whole time for all I know. I just kept trying to find story missions until there weren't anymore. I was never explicitly shown I was making any progress. It left me with a weird milquetoast feeling about why I was doing anything in the game beyond just going and killing Castillo. I remember really enjoying climbing radio towers in Far Cry 4 and it having a use and a number I could march towards. No radio towers in this one. Its also worth noting this game has "hunting"...but you never use it. Its not important to the story, there's only one brief "gather shit" quest and ultimately at best hunting and fishing is an amusing distraction. It feels painfully like it was obligatory Ubisoft mechanic as it only leads to unlocking some more outfits.

Its also fuckin broken

The majority of adjunct, non-required gameplay revolves around you collecting and upgrading weapons and armor. This mechanic seems poorly designed and actually broken. They warn you early on that you need different bullets and guns to do different things. This patently untrue. You need armor piercing bullets and a scope. I found a 1911 I have gun-nut nostalgia for and attached a scope, silencer and armor piercing bullets. I used this and a rocket launcher exclusively for the last 20+ hours of my play time. All enemies died with a headshot. I was able to headshot and kill heavily armored enemies from so far away they were just specs in my scope. I mean I sat on a mountain and headhunted enemies a mile or more away. I know its broken because many times it warned me an alarm or something is armor "Cant shoot this". I shot it, it blew up. What's interesting is I could do it with my pistol, but not a single sniper rifle I tried, which tells me they built a mechanic assuming you'd only use certain weapons to do certain things, but never tested it. My friend commented "This is the easiest game I've ever played".

With the guns and armor being ultimately meaningless because you can headshot any enemy and kill them with pretty much anything it made the whole collecting character of the game seem painfully forced. Less like an intended quality of the game and more like a Ubisoft development requirement. It had the opposite effect on me. After I tired of collecting guns once I realized it was broken I started thinking about the original shooters, your Far Cry, Crisis and Halo where in you never collected guns. If I recall correctly you never "owned" any. You had to collect guns and ammo off corpses and in many cases the game would ramp up difficulty by making you choose carefully what guns you'd hold on to. With this oversaturation of collectables I quite miss it.

In a weird sad turn the game doesn't actually end. Afterwards they've setup a system where every week a new "insurgent" pops up you have to go defeat with a couple bases. Its the same gameplay loop as any other nameless captain you kill, but you're rewarded with more guns and money. This is to keep that subscription money coming, well not from me. *Yawn*. Ok Ubisoft I get it. Goddamn you've really given up on "making" games anymore haven't you? My relationship with Ubisoft is now at the point where I'm not so much breaking up with them, but I'm just going to mute their dms. I'm not mad, just not interested anymore. It did have cute pets, but I can just go get my own cat.

Last edited:

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
The Far Cry series has not changed much throughout its history since Far Cry 3. They keep using the same gameplay formula with minor tweaks in each iteration. The biggest draw of each game is suppose to be the main villain and the sandbox nature of it all. Each Far Cry game falls into the same tired tropes you just described for six. Do one mission and get to the next without feeling any sense of progression at all. The games can be “mindless” fun but it always comes with the familiar case of Deja vu.

As stated before, you play one Ubisoft game you pretty much played them. Which is a hard thing to say for me since I enjoyed a lot of the games they made before they shifted to making countless open world games.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
The Far Cry series has not changed much throughout its history since Far Cry 3.
Even Far Cry 2 ran into this. The whole story was centered around keeping two paramilitary gangs in check, so you were forced to run missions for both sides, never letting one get an edge over the other; in fact, the story would stop in its tracks until you'd done all the jobs both sides wanted you to do. It left me feeling like nothing I did had any sort of impact in the game world.

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
What.the.actual.fuck?

I also heard that the game doesn't have real recoil. If you turn off camera shake in the options menu, all the recoil is gone. Is this true?

This series needs a complete redesign, anyway.
Agreed, Far Cry has so many problems and Ubisoft never addresses it. They keep on doing the same mistakes.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I am still playing the Crysis games and will not be touching FC6. Thanks for the details.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I still wish in some timeline they preserve the gameplay of Far Cry 2 in subsequent sequels

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
The only correctionish thing I want to add is that for context I actually enjoy map conquest elements in games like Far Cry, at least in moderation. There's a nice sense of accomplishment I find in capturing bases and checkpoints and the game nudging the story forward as I literally take control. That's generally been a positive aspect of Far Cry for people who already enjoy that. What I was getting at if it wasn't clear was that for some reason they "didn't" add any measurement for map progression in Far Cry 6. I don't know if something went sideways in development or what, but take one checkpoint, take all of them, game doesn't seem to give a shit. I'd have to go back and prove it, but you may be able fully play through the game with ever take control of any part of the map.

Oh this is interesting, Far Cry 6 is the first one developed by Ubisoft Toronto, the others were done by Montreal. Could mean nothing, but it might explain the drop in quality.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Agreed, Far Cry has so many problems and Ubisoft never addresses it. They keep on doing the same mistakes.
Because people keep buying their games and Ubisoft doesn't know or care how to do anything else. I don't care about Skull and Bones or Beyond Good and Evil 2 because I just know it's just gonna be more UBISOFT GAME.

I say this as someone who only a few years ago was fine with Ubisoft, though I only played the AC games. While I still have the soft spot of those, I'm honestly burned out on their formula for the most part. I'm playing AC:Unity right now to see what it has to offer(and because I bought the damn thing a while back so I might as well try it) but overall it's the same game as like 90% of their other gamers.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Oh this is interesting, Far Cry 6 is the first one developed by Ubisoft Toronto, the others were done by Montreal. Could mean nothing, but it might explain the drop in quality.
I believe Montreal was the studio that made AC:Valhalla so that would explain why they weren't making Far Cry 6. Though I could be wrong and maybe each studio handles mutiple games.

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
Because people keep buying their games and Ubisoft doesn't know or care how to do anything else. I don't care about Skull and Bones or Beyond Good and Evil 2 because I just know it's just gonna be more UBISOFT GAME.

I say this as someone who only a few years ago was fine with Ubisoft, though I only played the AC games. While I still have the soft spot of those, I'm honestly burned out on their formula for the most part. I'm playing AC:Unity right now to see what it has to offer(and because I bought the damn thing a while back so I might as well try it) but overall it's the same game as like 90% of their other gamers.
As you know the old saying. Why fix what’s not broken? True we can moan about how their games never change but they do still have a sizable base who will buy their games and make a profit. Of course it will come at the cost of quality until they take a deep financial hit for releasing a crummy game.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
As you know the old saying. Why fix what’s not broken? True we can moan about how their games never change but they do still have a sizable base who will buy their games and make a profit. Of course it will come at the cost of quality until they take a deep financial hit for releasing a crummy game.
Yeah, I know it doesn't matter to them if people like me stop buying their games because a lot of other people will. Though at least I know I'm not wasting my time and money anymore.

Of course, they don't always learn the correct lessons from making a poorly received game. AC: Unity was panned(for good reason) and as a result AC: Syndicate had almost everything interested stripped out of it. They did a reset with AC: Origin but went right back to putting effort into the wrong things and learning the wrong lessons from it's success.

It's like they listen far too well to criticism. People like the ship combat in AC3? Make AC4 based around ship combat.....and then make the next two side games also based around ship combat while Unity is in the works. People hated Unity? Gimp Syndicate and reset with Origins. People liked the Afterlife DLC in Origins? Make a MUCH BIGGER Afterlife DLC in Odyssey. People complain about lack of female PC in Unity? Put Female PCs in all the following games, but handle it in a ham handed manner that makes them subordinate or interchangeable with the male PC. And so on.....

I'm sorry, I should stop. I have my own thread to gripe about AC's issues, I don't need to drop that stuff in this this thread as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fallen Soldier

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
Yeah, I know it doesn't matter to them if people like me stop buying their games because a lot of other people will. Though at least I know I'm not wasting my time and money anymore.

Of course, they don't always learn the correct lessons from making a poorly received game. AC: Unity was panned(for good reason) and as a result AC: Syndicate had almost everything interested stripped out of it. They did a reset with AC: Origin but went right back to putting effort into the wrong things and learning the wrong lessons from it's success.

It's like they listen far too well to criticism. People like the ship combat in AC3? Make AC4 based around ship combat.....and then make the next two side games also based around ship combat while Unity is in the works. People hated Unity? Gimp Syndicate and reset with Origins. People liked the Afterlife DLC in Origins? Make a MUCH BIGGER Afterlife DLC in Odyssey. People complain about lack of female PC in Unity? Put Female in all the following ames, but handle it in a ham handed manner that makes them subordinate or interchangeable with the male PC. And so on.....
I’d give them some credit for not making AC annual series and listening to some feedback. But as you said, it’s the minority of the time they do a good thing but they mostly never learn their lesson.

The irony of it all, I consider them to be the “good” publisher compared to EA and Activision. But that’s damning phrase when the standard is EA and Activision.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I was wondering why the game had a weirdly low metacritic audience score, now I see that it was due to the LGBT stuff. Not to say that any other criticisms are wrong, but when a game has a 3/10 you already know certain groups are pissed about something.

Anyway, I already knew all I needed to about the game when I saw the little dog companion in the trailers. It's pretty damn cute, but this couldn't make it more obvious that Ubisoft has run out of ideas. Every time I see a game making a big deal about a furry companion, I just think that they're pandering. Haven't been wrong so far.

What's funny to me about this new Far Cry is that the setting isn't unique. Far Cry 3 did the tropical island again, but it was revamping the series so I'll forgive that. Far Cry 4 did the Himalayas. 5 did Midwestern US. 6 is just... a tropical island with that dusty orange filter that Hollywood uses to remind you that you're in some shit third world South American country. So if you're going to give us pretty much the exact same game as before, why would I bother when I could play previous games set in much more interesting locales?

Adam Jensen

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
I was wondering why the game had a weirdly low metacritic audience score, now I see that it was due to the LGBT stuff. Not to say that any other criticisms are wrong, but when a game has a 3/10 you already know certain groups are pissed about something.
Honestly, when companies add that stuff to their products just so they could fill their checklist and their diversity quota, they deserve all the shit that they get. They're not being honest about it. They're just forcing these additions in order to appeal to a wider audience. And I think that's messed up.

It's like they listen far too well to criticism. People like the ship combat in AC3? Make AC4 based around ship combat.....and then make the next two side games also based around ship combat while Unity is in the works. People hated Unity? Gimp Syndicate and reset with Origins. People liked the Afterlife DLC in Origins? Make a MUCH BIGGER Afterlife DLC in Odyssey. People complain about lack of female PC in Unity? Put Female PCs in all the following games, but handle it in a ham handed manner that makes them subordinate or interchangeable with the male PC. And so on.....
This is why they shouldn't listen to criticism and should just do their own thing. Their games are entirely devoid of creativity and originality. They're trying to pander to everybody and avoid offending anyone. You cannot create an interesting game if that's your goddamn approach to game design.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Honestly, when companies add that stuff to their products just so they could fill their checklist and their diversity quota, they deserve all the shit that they get. They're not being honest about it. They're just forcing these additions in order to appeal to a wider audience. And I think that's messed up.
Checklist is a good way to put it. "Afterthought" is another. You really just can tell with these big companies. Some poor low level shmuck was probably assigned to it and spent years slaving away and pouring their hearts into it, only for some higher up to shoot down their ideas until a single side mission or cutscene is left. And the cherry on top, we learn the top level management of these companies are absolute piece of shit bigots themselves.