A Formal Thread about Activision/Blizzard

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Edit: this is the crap I was talking about. It doesn't matter if they're contract workers or not, they were strung along for months on in and promise a bigger pay, and then they were ditched and left in the wind. I don't care how much of a legal loophole it is. It's bull crap and making false promises only to stress people out and put them in a worse financial situation doesn't help anyone, but those at top. It's a cruel and unnecessary action. It is obvious the top executives are getting off on people's misery or those they see as lower than them. To convince their shareholders, that there's infinite growth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Edit: this is the crap I was talking about. It doesn't matter if their contract workers or not, they were strung along for months on in and promise a bigger pay, and then they were ditched and left in the wind. I don't care how much of a legal loophole it is. It's bull crap and making false promises only to stress people out and put them in a worse financial situation doesn't help anyone, but those at top. It's a cruel and unnecessary action. It is obvious the top executives are getting off on people's misery or those they see as lower than them. To convince their shareholders, that there's infinite growth.

Just linking another article about the same thing to keep it in the big thread as well.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
...is...is Jim selling unlicensed Pokemon merch?! Oh fuck me, that's going to go over well. Someone should probably tell them that just calling something legally distinct isn't the same as being a separate legal entity.
I mean fuck me, I thought they were smarter than this. Don't they have a running theme on asset flips?

Edit: Shit, it gets even worse. Jim links to the special guest artist on Twitter, and names them Decy...leaving out their twitter name is actually Decy Drawing Every Pokemon.
When did Jim become Bubs from Homestar Runner and just selling other people's stuff? Or is this more of their anti-capitalism shit, where they don't recognize IP anymore?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
...is...is Jim selling unlicensed Pokemon merch?! Oh fuck me, that's going to go over well. Someone should probably tell them that just calling something legally distinct isn't the same as being a separate legal entity.
I mean fuck me, I thought they were smarter than this. Don't they have a running theme on asset flips?

Edit: Shit, it gets even worse. Jim links to the special guest artist on Twitter, and names them Decy...leaving out their twitter name is actually Decy Drawing Every Pokemon.
When did Jim become Bubs from Homestar Runner and just selling other people's stuff? Or is this more of their anti-capitalism shit, where they don't recognize IP anymore?
I honestly don't know and don't care. I skipped over that part. They know what they're doing and they'll be fine.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Edit: this is the crap I was talking about. It doesn't matter if they're contract workers or not, they were strung along for months on in and promise a bigger pay, and then they were ditched and left in the wind. I don't care how much of a legal loophole it is. It's bull crap and making false promises only to stress people out and put them in a worse financial situation doesn't help anyone, but those at top. It's a cruel and unnecessary action. It is obvious the top executives are getting off on people's misery or those they see as lower than them. To convince their shareholders, that there's infinite growth.
Y'ever notice how the people who defend microtransactions say "we need them to help the developers get paid for their work", but then the developers who did the work get summarily fired and the same people say "well, that's just how it is in the industry, if they don't like it they can leave"?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Y'ever notice how the people who defend microtransactions say "we need them to help the developers get paid for their work", but then the developers who did the work get summarily fired and the same people say "well, that's just how it is in the industry, if they don't like it they can leave"?
Who the hell defends microtransactions!?

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I honestly don't know and don't care. I skipped over that part. They know what they're doing and they'll be fine.
Do they? Are they? I can totally see the JimQuisition being sued into oblivion for selling knock-off merch Jim has convinced themselves is okay.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Idiotic and blind fans that feel like their hobby is being attacked on, even though it's a legitimate point and a stain on the industry. It's also those, that think they're getting a bigger deal and trying desperately to defend why they're not getting screwed over and act as if they're not. Then there are those who only justifiy them, because either their mommy and daddy's are paying for the micro transactions, or they got more money than they know what to spend it on.

Reactions: The Rogue Wolf

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Fair. But Nintendo is a slightly bigger fish than a dude and his brother in buttfuck nowhere Arkansas. And making fun of a game is a different use of an IP than openly selling shirts with Jim's favorite Pokemon on it.
Then again, I've seen fan art of video games put on T-shirts at teepublic.com. Individuals that make them actually charge them and they don't seem to get any backlash or lawsuits. That includes Pokemon t-shirts too. Then again, it's at least through a company, but last I checked, none of these video game companies get any profits from them. The same applies to redbubble.com.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Then again, I've seen fan art of video games put on T-shirts at teepublic.com. Individuals that make them actually charge them and they don't seem to get any backlash or lawsuits. That includes Pokemon t-shirts too. Then again, it's at least through a company, but last I checked, none of these video game companies get any profits from them. The same applies to redbubble.com.
Derivative works have a certain amount of protection under US copyright law. It's a really thin line you have to toe in order not to get nailed for infringement, though. And as litigious as Nintendo likes to be, it's not a line I personally would want to approach.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I have nothing against microtransactions as a concept. Basically all games nowadays are downloads so if the developer develops additional content for their titles and demands money for players to access it then technically that is a microtransaction, and I don't think this arrangement is unreasonable.

Then we have microtransactions where the outcome of the purchase is randomized or when it's for an in-game currency and those are bad.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I have nothing against microtransactions as a concept. Basically all games nowadays are downloads so if the developer develops additional content for their titles and demands money for players to access it then technically that is a microtransaction, and I don't think this arrangement is unreasonable.

Then we have microtransactions where the outcome of the purchase is randomized or when it's for an in-game currency and those are bad.
I honestly couldn't give a monkey's about microtransactions, except (as you say) where it is effectively gambling, and also where purchases constitute "pay to win" advantages over other players.

In fact I think microtransactions can be a good way for players to support the games they love: get some funky clobber for your avatar to stand out a bit more - why not? If you don't want to, don't.

Reactions: Satinavian

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Then I would argue then that that isn't a microtransaction that would simply be buying the DLC which is a different concept.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I just want Raven Software to make Doom-like games again.

Like Hexen/Heretic, Soldiers of Fortune, Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, Quake 4, and Wolfenstein 2009

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I just want Raven Software to make Doom-like games again.

Like Hexen/Heretic, Soldiers of Fortune, Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, Quake 4, and Wolfenstein 2009
Not any more. After Wolfenstein (2009) and Singularity, they went off to the Call of Duty mines! The Last Raven and never more!