Worst Games in Great Franchises

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
  • Donkey Kong 64 & Returns (Wii version only)
The 3DS version kind of sucked too. They just couldn't manage to get the hang of controls that were perfected back in 1994.

Don't care *****!
It also has a word filter, but only for about 3 swears.
What a shame. Truly a loss to online discourse of the highest magnitude.
The Escapist must really be picking up in traffic. We haven't had a random jerk join the forum and promptly get banned in years!

Edit: actually it looks like they are a legacy user who's account was imported in the merge. Hey! How come they get their original join dates but we don't? They brought over our original post counts, but left the join date alone, that sucks!

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The Escapist must really be picking up in traffic. We haven't had a random jerk join the forum and promptly get banned in years!

Edit: actually it looks like they are a legacy user who's account was imported in the merge. Hey! How come they get their original join dates but we don't? They brought over our original post counts, but left the join date alone, that sucks!
I'm actually surprised we haven't seen any of our previous bad actors show back up on sock accounts.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The 3DS version kind of sucked too. They just couldn't manage to get the hang of controls that were perfected back in 1994.
Actually, I remember the 3DS version controlling fine. I know I died way less often, because of the controls in that version compared to the Wii version. The reason why the Wii versions on the list, is because of the forced motion controls and no alternative control schemes. Plus, the 3DS version had an easier mode where they let you take three hits or six hits, if you had Diddy Kong partnered with you. Also, they went way overboard on the difficulty no matter the version. It's why I prefer Tropical Freeze.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Actually, I remember the 3DS version controlling fine. I know I died way less often, because of the controls in that version compared to the Wii version. The reason why the Wii versions on the list, is because of the forced motion controls and no alternative control schemes. Plus, the 3DS version had an easier mode where they let you take three hits or six hits, if you had Diddy Kong partnered with you. Also, they went way overboard on the difficulty no matter the version. It's why I prefer Tropical Freeze.
There are two control options 'circle pad' and 'control pad,' if you choose circle pad then roll is x/y but if you choose control pad then for some reason roll is changed to L/R. I want to use the d-pad and roll with x like the original, but you just can't do it. Why they couldn't just have both the circle pad and the control pad active for movement all the time and make the option for selecting roll is beyond me, since there is really no reason to force the player to choose one or the other. Rolling with Diddy is also still kind of annoying requiring you to mash the roll button, but it is a lot better than needing to waggle the wiimote.

I still think the game just feels bad to play too. DK is so floaty, every level feels like an ice level. I don't know if the Wii version was like that, I don't own the game on Wii but I did rent and 100% the game when it was new. I own the DS version, but I never even made it to the final boss. I'd play the original DKC, or better yet DKC2, over it any day. The Tiki's are also not nearly as memorable enemies as the Kremlins.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There are two control options 'circle pad' and 'control pad,' if you choose circle pad then roll is x/y but if you choose control pad then for some reason roll is changed to L/R. I want to use the d-pad and roll with x like the original, but you just can't do it. Why they couldn't just have both the circle pad and the control pad active for movement all the time and make the option for selecting roll is beyond me, since there is really no reason to force the player to choose one or the other. Rolling with Diddy is also still kind of annoying requiring you to mash the roll button, but it is a lot better than needing to waggle the wiimote.
You have point, neither 3DS control scheme bothered me nor caused me much problems. I do agree with you though on why they couldn't have more accessibility or custom control options.

I don't know if the Wii version was like that, I don't own the game on Wii but I did rent and 100% the game when it was new.
Yes. Add in motion controls and leaves an even more frustrating experience.

I'd play the original DKC, or better yet DKC2, over it any day. The Tiki's are also not nearly as memorable enemies as the Kremlins.
Agreed, though I actually prefer the Snowmads over the Kremlings.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I still think the game just feels bad to play too. DK is so floaty, every level feels like an ice level. I don't know if the Wii version was like that, I don't own the game on Wii but I did rent and 100% the game when it was new. I own the DS version, but I never even made it to the final boss. I'd play the original DKC, or better yet DKC2, over it any day. The Tiki's are also not nearly as memorable enemies as the Kremlins.
Man I haven't played a Donkey Kong Country game since I was a kid. I really should play Tropical Freeze or something. I miss those games.

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
Jagged Alliance, fuck, which sequel to pick?

Oh yea, Flashback. Online was insulting. Back in Action was insulting. Rage was meh at best. Flashback, though, had the additional kick in the nuts of having KS fraud on top of it.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Splinter Cell: Double Agent(PC) is a really stinky egg in an otherwise really solid series.

Reactions: BrawlMan

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Devil May Cry is a series with a lot of hits and a couple of pretty significant misses. DmC: DMC is competent enough if you pretend it isn't actually a Devil May Cry game and instead treat it as a standalone game suitable for beginner-to-intermediate players, before moving on to something like Ninja Gaiden or the main series. The main point of this post is Devil May Cry 2, which doesn't even come close to the high or even average water mark of the ill-advised reboot, with sword inputs that don't make sense, guns that shred everything without even trying, and a dodge button and increased mobility options that don't actually add anything on top of wall kicks and rolling. And the story is just boring: Dante's a brooding loser, none of the secondary characters or bosses have any personality either, and the main thrust of the plot is basically an exact replica of the first game with the names changed.

Apparently it had a tough development cycle and Itsuno did everything he could to bring it to the state it released in, but I'm kind of amazed he was given a second chance. And extremely thankful, because I still rate 3 as the best of the series, even with 5 bringing strong competition to it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Apparently it had a tough development cycle and Itsuno did everything he could to bring it to the state it released in, but I'm kind of amazed he was given a second chance. And extremely thankful, because I still rate 3 as the best of the series, even with 5 bringing strong competition to it.
The reason why was that Itsuno got another chance, because it was never really his fault to begin with. He was picking up somebody's slacking ruin the best he can to make it playable and a finished state. Before Capcom brought him in, the game was in an even worse State before. The ghost director left the project halfway through and his name is still unknown. Then you had the scenario writer who actually hated Dante, which is why he's all brooding and angsty. Apparently he thought goofy/cheesy was uncool and true cool is generic, stoic, edgy badass. Dude was a fucking edge lord. Fuck him! There's a reason Capcom never brought him on board to write for any their games ever again.

Last edited:

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
The hunt aspect might not be directly misleading, but it’s knowingly pointless; we spend the majority of the game tracking down the person, the iconic hero, who’s experiencing the most interesting turn of events that are moving the franchise forward. The more interesting story (y’know, all the boxes you checked?) are happening with John, the Master Chief, the face of the franchise, the character on the box art of every iterative Halo since the early 2000s.

And feel however you want about ODST, but it never purported to be as substantive an installment of the franchise as Halo 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5; it was sold as an additional, in-universe story (it was actually going to be sold as Halo 3 DLC, but they decided there was enough there that a standalone release could be merited. And let’s not forget, it sold new for $30 when you compare it to the $60 games.) Yes, it IS a sidestory, and it never claimed to be anything else. Judging it by the standards of major installments is akin to judging your fries by the standards of your burger.

So don’t act “surprised” when people are upset that they spend the least of the game continuing John’s journey. Relegating him to the least of the game and putting the player in control of some new guy chasing down him and the more interesting events in the game and calling it “the next major Halo” sounds like 343 is milking the tale, like someone who found a million dollars in a briefcase (AMAZING!!), but spends the first three-quarters of their story telling you what they had for breakfast that morning (who gives a shit?)

I, for one, had no problem SHARING Halo 2 with the Arbiter; at least substantive events were happening in his portion of the game; it’s how we learned, intimately, the beliefs and structure of the then ominous Covenant. What of any significance did we learn as Osiris that couldn’t have been learned during John’s tale? What SIGNIFICANT contribution did Osiris’ tale make to the Halo universe that it deserved the mantle (lol) of Halo “5”?
So I'm going to clear some things up before I start.

I'm not a massive Halo fanboy. I remember playing the first Halo: Combat Evolved at my friend's house when I was a kid. And I'm thinking "Dude, I love first person shooters! How many guns are in this game"

My friend went "Plenty! But you can only hold 2. It's realistic!"

I looked at him. "Realisitic? We're playing a giant green robot man who respawns after he's killed. Why the hell do I care about realism?!"

That was a lot of people's first impression with limited carrying capability. I didn't like it at the time. It soured me.

So I watched him beat that. He told me that you get to carry more guns in Halo 2, but he meant dual wielding, so I got tricked into watching him beat that (Pizza was good).

And I can't tell you why. Maybe because I played and liked Gears of War which got me over limited carrying capability (like I had a choice back then). But I got Halo 3. It was told to me that we were finally finishing the fight. That it all lead up to this. And since I knew Halo up to this point... yeah, yeah, I could finish the fight.

I didn't hate it. I beat it. It was a decent story. I played more of Halo 3. But I had some satisfaction knowing that I completed the Halo Story as they said we were go...

Halo 4? What? What's left? We stopped the covenant. Oh. An entire new race of bad guys who aren't technically new for 117 to own. Ok. Fine.

Halo 5? Something's wrong with everyone. Umm. Cool. Let's see what that's about.

Again. I'm not a die hard fan of the series. Never was. I got turned off by the game play in the first game, tricked to watching the second game, reasonably enjoyed being part of the finaAnother game created because Master Chief prints money, and then here's another.

This next part isn't directed at you. But for every complaint I've heard that Spartan Locke and Osiris are nothing... Jesus Christ, the only Spartans that were anything were Noble Six. They had more personality in their one game that any character other than Cortana and Johnson had for the entire series. Especially Blue Team. Who were just "We're the heroes". Sierra 117 is beloved because he was a mostly empty space for a power fantasy.

Locke might have not been Neku, but he at least was present... emoted more than 117 ever did. And yes, that's a part of Spartan training to not explore or value your emotions. I get it. But the issue that comparing a well knowing boring guy vs a guy you don't know who is showing any multitude of emotions while going against his own personal feelings ("You're not the only one he's saved"), and then saying the new guy isn't interesting based on the fact that he isn't the boring guy we already knew? That's disingenuous.

I think the team realized that, yeah, it's getting a little tired that these four Spartans are killing civilizations. They wanted to branch out, because Spartans themselves are awesome IPs. Their mistake was to involve the Master Chief. It could have been far into the future, a time slip that put them into another dimension, or whatever. Or if they wanted to really do the route they did, they could have just hinted that the characters you were dealing with were talking to the antagonist in secret, and revealed it all at the end, and THEN bring out Master Chief out of the blue.

I don't know. It's hard for me to judge because I'm not a Halo fan. I found Locke more interesting than John because Locke was actually human, but again, I get how fans of the series feel.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
(Sorry, it won't let me add this to my original post)

Was a weird game, its like they tried to combine the best of 1 and 2 and instead just got the worst of both world.
"People love the Sync kills in our games. They think it really captures the gritty atmosphere in the Lore"

'Great. Ditch it'

"uhh... o...k...? Well, here's something you might not know. The active cover system has really been refined in our game. In fact, the best players will take stock on what's happening in the world as your blown up tank can become cover. Taking an unwinnable engagement and making it into a victory!"

'That's mind blowing! Remove it. Replace it with fixed bubble shields that are always in the same place in the map and tall grass even in areas where it doesn't make sense grass to be in. What else'

"I don't want to say"

'Johnson, you will say.'

"No."

'JOHNSON!'

"FINE! People love our modular units with upgrades for different engagements."

'Here's a fresh new brainstorm. Forget most of that. The upgrades will now just be different units. That scout usually gets a sniper? Make the sniper scout an entirely new unit! Look at me, I just saved your weekend'

"God. Damn. it."

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Contra Rouge Corps can be added to the list now. It's worst than both of the PS1 games.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Was a weird game, its like they tried to combine the best of 1 and 2 and instead just got the worst of both world.
Well, I'm only replying 5 months late but...

The campaign structure was awful, it made the first few missions incredibly tedious and then swapping up the races after made it very difficult to learn the more advanced gameplay etc further on into the campaign.
The maps were uninspired and too dark, until the shooting started and then it was like watching the 4th of july through night vision goggles.

DoW1&2 did a decent job ofmaking you feel like you were watching a 40K battle paly out. DoW3 felt like you were playing a game. Everything felt really artificial. I could go on, but I haven't really got much to say that hasn't already been said by various Youtubers

Last edited:

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Jagged Alliance, fuck, which sequel to pick?
The fundamental problem, I fear, was that JA was published by an often struggling company who ended up just bashing the last out to play the bills, before it folded and the IP was picked up by a series of inferior talents. I greatly enjoyed the Wizardry series from SirTech too, and that turned into some random JRPG load of crap after SirTech folded.

And whilst I'm on Wizardry, one could hardly fail to note the catastrophically bug-crippled failure that was Ultima IX (although Ultima VIII was shaky): terrible way to end a legendary series. We could talk about the other long-running RPG from that era, Might and Magic, but that had already been ploughing a nadir for about 3-4 games before it finally gave up the ghost.

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
The fundamental problem, I fear, was that JA was published by an often struggling company who ended up just bashing the last out to play the bills, before it folded and the IP was picked up by a series of inferior talents
*SIGH* I keep hoping for the day that it gets a Bloodstained treatment; some of the old team reunite and put out a real spiritual successor in it's style.